Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Oct 27, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #841 of 1,326
  Thanks.  I know about USB audio recorder pro for hi res , but... i want to be able to play High-res with a decent interface that support playlist & album cover !  so, I am looking for a more user friendly player that can play High-res.

I wonder if the Note 3 does with the stock player ??

Probably not.  Samsung has used hi-res capable DACs in their phones before IIRC, but Android is the problem.  Search and ask in the Android DAC thread.  DanBa does a killer job with keeping up with people's reports on compatibility.

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #844 of 1,326
  I've heard some mixed reviews with the M8 and LCDs... what are your impressions Boringer? How does it stack up against other amps you've paired with the LCDs?

Hi swifttal, sorry for my late respond.

Another amp on my current possession that may drive the LCD-2 fairly is the ALO Continental V2 (the TU-05 just arrived today).
For quick comparison, since I just listened to the M8 briefly, I think the V2 is still favorable if you love vocal/mid kind of music.
It doesn't mean that the M8 mid is bad, it is indeed good enough. But my personal preference still said that the V2 is better in this part.
But for any other kind of music, especially for fast paced music, I like the M8 better.
It delivers the wider stage and the deeper depth. The details and separation is more apparent.
Lower region is served beautifully with more power and impact.

I hope this may give a bit picture, but anyhow it's all just my humble opinion, so please be ease on me... :)

Oct 30, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #845 of 1,326
  I've heard some mixed reviews with the M8 and LCDs... what are your impressions Boringer? How does it stack up against other amps you've paired with the LCDs?

Mixed?  Most of what I recall reading has been positive, especially from the few pro reviews that have shown up in this thread.

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #846 of 1,326

Another amp on my current possession ... is the ALO Continental V2 (the TU-05 just arrived today).

Boringer I also have the V2 and am very interested in the TU-05/6 so I`ll have to track you down in the other threads for your impressions....

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #849 of 1,326
  Boringer I also have the V2 and am very interested in the TU-05/6 so I`ll have to track you down in the other threads for your impressions....

Dopaimer, if you like the V2 then I believe you will love the TU.
I've been listening to it for more than couple hours now, and obviously it's a major upgrade to the V2.
Let's bring our discussion to the A2P thread then. 
wink_face.gif

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #850 of 1,326
  My M8 was sent on Wednesday and scheduled for delivery Monday, but the Fedex man came early today!  First impressions...

The M8 is very,very well built.   The curved sides make it quite nice to hold and carry around.  

I've mainly been using it with an iPod Touch 3rd gen as the source..  The M8 really goes well with an iPod Touch.  The thinness of the Touch makes it seem more like a thick DAP with a screen than a two-piece rig.  I am using a short 3cm 30-pin to USB cable that is a little shorter than the Centrance supplied cable.  With this cable, the M8 with Touch fits nicely inside a CaseLogic hard drive case I have without having to disconnect the two.  

I also briefly tried it with an iPhone 4 on iOS7 two ways -- the normal iDevice way to the USB A port on the M8, and with a 30-pin CCK connected to the computer USB B port on the M8.  Both connection methods work, and both produce audio from 24/96 files, although I cannot confirm whether the M8 is running native or resampling, or whether the iPhone is feeding it 24/96 in the iDevice mode.  I do know that the HRT microStreamer decodes the signal at 96kHz (as it has a status light to show it) using the CCK with the app I am using.  I assume that the M8 does the same thing with the CCK -- i.e. 96kHz playback when connected by the USB B port and with a specialized app.

On the sound:  The M8 driving the W1000X puts a smile on my face.  It think my hunt for a better headphone may be slowed a bit with the M8.  I need more time to listen, so I will try it more tomorrow with my T50RP w/Alpha Pads, a much harder to drive headphone, as well as my older Senn HD580.   

How does the HRT compare with the M8? Are they even close?

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #851 of 1,326

I didn't think so with my HD800s.  The Microstreamer sounded weak and veiled.  It just wasn't designed to run high impedance headphones.  The M8 is clearly better in this regard.  With budget IEMs like my SE215's, they are pretty much even since they are limited by the IEMs.

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #852 of 1,326
By mixed I meant some think it's great, and other think it's just adequate (specifically with the LCD2)... lots of comments suggesting both. Finally just got mine in yesterday and I can see what both sides are talking about. Compared to my concerto there are quite a few differences, some good, some just... well adequate. Overall though I must say this is by far the best portable amp I've owned - Below are just my prelimary thoughts one the Hifi-M8 vs Meier Concerto with the LCD2.2...

Pro:
Fuller sound - The concerto I always thought was a fairly bright  amp. When I read all the comments about the LCD2 having the best bass people have heard, I never got it. The M8 brings it a step closer. Sound is nice and full, very good low end extension and a bit more laid back overall sound than the concerto. The low end may not match up to the gleaming reviews I've read of these cans, but since it's quite noticeably better than the Concerto, I'm pretty happy.

Adequate Cons:
While the sound is fuller, it comes at a price of loss of soundstage and a tiny bit less detail. The detail piece is almost minute in difference really, but the soundstage difference is readily apparent. But overall I do prefer the sound package the M8 brings to the LCD.

Volume: While listening to anything other than classical, the gain is fine on the M8. However once you get into the quieter classical recordings, that volume knob is pegged. While seeing what others typically place their volume knob at (mine is higher comparatively most of the time than what I see others posting... I like it loud baby) that pegged level is probably "adequate" for most... but I do find myself wishing there was more. Now this experience also came with the concerto, but it just comes a bit sooner on the M8.

And the last piece is probably my fault. I ordered the RSA version as I have cables terminated for it with my IEMs... but this was my first time trying an RSA cable with the LCD2 and it doesn't really bring good results. I think the connector surface area is just too small to deliver the amount of current these things need. Will contact Todd later and see if he's able to work with me to swap for the 4-pin XLR version and I'll just make an adapter for my iems... otherwise single ended is working well enough with the LCD-2.

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #853 of 1,326
And to reiterate... again this is the best portable I've heard... not a single negative or "adequate" thing to say about the M8 while using the W4R, SR80, HD650 so far. Well the HD650 does have a bit less soundstage, but it does a fantastic job - better than quite a lot of desktops.

Oct 30, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #854 of 1,326

The microStreamer puts out a very pristine sound.  It is definitely better than the standard headphone out of the iDevice (mainly I've compared it to the iPhone 5c as it is the newest 'toy'), and for most portable headphones, its amplification is adequate. 

The M8 sounds more authoritative.  Bass in particular comes through better than the microStreamer.  My previous post with the VSonic GR-07 Bass Edition describes what I am hearing pretty well.  It feels as if there is no compromise in sound quality due to portability.  I'm also into home theater, and the M8 is the first portable device I've had that consistently satisfies me away from the home theater -- and I have tried/own numerous portable rigs (iPod Video, Mini, and Nano, all Rockboxed; iPod Touch/iPhone with various music and EQ apps; FiiO E12, the FiiO E17 as both an amp and DAC/amp, VentureCraft GoDAP amps, and the microStreamer).

Oct 31, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #855 of 1,326
  Thanks.  I know about USB audio recorder pro for hi res , but... i want to be able to play High-res with a decent interface that support playlist & album cover !  so, I am looking for a more user friendly player that can play High-res.

I wonder if the Note 3 does with the stock player ??

Yes, Android stock player of Note III can output High-res digital signal to external dac thro' USB socket.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/3330

Users who are viewing this thread

Back