Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
May 24, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #46 of 1,326
Brief Tokyo Headphone Show impressions from Headfonia:
Photos from Headfonia.com

http://www.headfonia.com/2013-spring-tokyo-headphone-festival-impressions/6/

[size=12.727272033691406px] Centrance M8[/size]

[size=12.727272033691406px] Next is the Centrance M8 which will be available in three different output choices: 2×3 pin XLRs (combo Jack with TRS built in), 4 pin XLR, and finally a plain vanilla 1/4″ TRS.[/size]

[size=12.727272033691406px] The M8 had a well balanced sound that’s relatively flat from top to bottom. The sound was moderately darker than the Japanese i-Dacs though not as warm and as full bodied as the Cypher Labs Solo. Tonality is darker than all of the current Centrance devices including the Dacport CX and LX, as well as the Dacmini CX and PX. However it’s also quite grainy just like I find the Dacpot CX to be. The sound was pretty good but I wasn’t really wowed by it especially after listening to the ADL X1. Sound quality is definitely not as smooth and clean as the ADL X1 and the Fostex HP-P1, and I thought that the CypherLabs devices are warmer and more musical sounding. Just for the record the Headfonia Store is a dealer for Fostex and Centrance, but we don’t sell CypherLabs, ADL, and Venture Craft.[/size]

May 24, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #47 of 1,326
I think that's mine on the left.....
smile.gif

Hi HiFi-M8, can't wait to get you home!!!!!

May 24, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #48 of 1,326
Quote:
Brief Tokyo Headphone Show impressions from Headfonia:
Photos from Headfonia.com

http://www.headfonia.com/2013-spring-tokyo-headphone-festival-impressions/6/

[size=12.727272033691406px] Centrance M8[/size]

[size=12.727272033691406px] Next is the Centrance M8 which will be available in three different output choices: 2×3 pin XLRs (combo Jack with TRS built in), 4 pin XLR, and finally a plain vanilla 1/4″ TRS.[/size]

[size=12.727272033691406px] The M8 had a well balanced sound that’s relatively flat from top to bottom. The sound was moderately darker than the Japanese i-Dacs though not as warm and as full bodied as the Cypher Labs Solo. Tonality is darker than all of the current Centrance devices including the Dacport CX and LX, as well as the Dacmini CX and PX. However it’s also quite grainy just like I find the Dacpot CX to be. The sound was pretty good but I wasn’t really wowed by it especially after listening to the ADL X1. Sound quality is definitely not as smooth and clean as the ADL X1 and the Fostex HP-P1, and I thought that the CypherLabs devices are warmer and more musical sounding. Just for the record the Headfonia Store is a dealer for Fostex and Centrance, but we don’t sell CypherLabs, ADL, and Venture Craft.[/size]

The sound impression wasn't very encouraging for HiFi-M8. I sincerely hope the production unit comes out better.

May 24, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #49 of 1,326
^^^ Unfair comparison.  Putting up the $699 HiFi-M8 against the component system of a CLAS + whatever amp.  I also doubt a proper audition was done, and I also doubt he messed with any of the tone shaping.....

May 24, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #50 of 1,326
Quote:
^^^ Unfair comparison.  Putting up the $699 HiFi-M8 against the component system of a CLAS + whatever amp.  I also doubt a proper audition was done, and I also doubt he messed with any of the tone shaping.....

I agree on the part where you say that you doubt a proper audition was done. But the rest sounded like you being defensive about the M8.

I'm one of the person who preordered M8. So I want it to sound good as much as Centrances biggest supporter. But saying its unfair comparison is not right. The headfonia impression compared it to fostex unit which is comparable in price. And also, CLAS is not that much more higher priced than M8 if you factor in that CLAS SOLO is probably more than a year old design. It happens all the time in the audio world where a new product cheaper (say 25%) than the older product and still sounds better.

May 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #51 of 1,326
Quote:

The sound impression wasn't very encouraging for HiFi-M8. I sincerely hope the production unit comes out better.

Wow.....it sure is not encouraging.

I'm using a HP-P1 street price $625. plus a $399. (great & small) amp for the low impedance Miracles and no added amp for 334s and the sq is very good. I am still hoping that the M8 is MUCH better not equal to. I will be disappointed if it is not, besides, taking the already 7 month wait into consideration.

May 24, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #54 of 1,326
Quote:
With all the hype of the M8 and the HP being 2 years old, which for electronics is longer than 24 months would be for other technology, I expect a game changer in the M8. Maybe I'm being unrealistic?

Saraguie, you are not being unrealistic. I expect the same from M8.

If the headfonia impression is accurate, I'd say its really alarming for M8 owner like me who preordered it. If it cant beat year old digital product like Fostex and CLAS - the M8 would just be another fotm product or even worse.

May 24, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #55 of 1,326
Quote:

I agree on the part where you say that you doubt a proper audition was done. But the rest sounded like you being defensive about the M8.

I'm one of the person who preordered M8. So I want it to sound good as much as Centrances biggest supporter. But saying its unfair comparison is not right. The headfonia impression compared it to fostex unit which is comparable in price. And also, CLAS is not that much more higher priced than M8 if you factor in that CLAS SOLO is probably more than a year old design. It happens all the time in the audio world where a new product cheaper (say 25%) than the older product and still sounds better.

I like and read Headphonia, like many do here.  But if you read his reviews, you'll learn quickly that he has a "sweet spot" tonally, that he wants filled by whatever he is auditioning.  If it doesn't, he mostly gives it a fail.  There are many great sounds outside of his range, and that's all I'm getting at.  Headphonia, might be the second or third greatest influence on my music gear purchases.  But on his entire coverage piece he came across as short, and maybe a bit bitter.  I don't know, maybe he was tired, or stressed, or lost his luggage.....

I'm on the pre-order list too, and I would like to think I made a sound investment.  But don't worry, all my eggs are not in this basket.

May 24, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #56 of 1,326
Quote:

I like and read Headphonia, like many do here.  But if you read his reviews, you'll learn quickly that he has a "sweet spot" tonally, that he wants filled by whatever he is auditioning.  If it doesn't, he mostly gives it a fail.  There are many great sounds outside of his range, and that's all I'm getting at.  Headphonia, might be the second or third greatest influence on my music gear purchases.  But on his entire coverage piece he came across as short, and maybe a bit bitter.  I don't know, maybe he was tired, or stressed, or lost his luggage.....

I'm on the pre-order list too, and I would like to think I made a sound investment.  But don't worry, all my eggs are not in this basket.

Agree on what you said regarding headphonia. :)

May 24, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #57 of 1,326
Quote:

Saraguie, you are not being unrealistic. I expect the same from M8.

If the headfonia impression is accurate, I'd say its really alarming for M8 owner like me who preordered it. If it cant beat year old digital product like Fostex and CLAS - the M8 would just be another fotm product or even worse.

I'd urge folks to relax a little bit about the Headfonia impressions and expectations about the M8 in general.  Listening at meets can give you rough estimations about how things sound, but they are so noisy, you are listening to someone else's headphones and music, plus every reviewer has their own preferences in sound.  Someone preferring one device over another doesn't mean that the non-preferred device is bad.  It was one guy's impressions.  Other people's impressions have been quite favorable so far.

Putting pressure on this device or any new, unheard device to be a game changer or giant killer is only going to lead to disappointment.  We already know we are getting more functionality and versatility than anything else on the market, in a good looking package, at a good price.  We have been given the privilege of sharing our opinions and desires with a manufacturer that has listened, and I believe we will get a good product in return.  It probably won't be perfect, some of us might not like it, some people might find it to be their end game.  I have no idea why one should expect this to blow away high quality gear that cost more money from a year or two ago.  I don't think anyone has been hyping this to that level.

May 24, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #59 of 1,326
Quote:

I'd urge folks to relax a little bit about the Headfonia impressions and expectations about the M8 in general.  Listening at meets can give you rough estimations about how things sound, but they are so noisy, you are listening to someone else's headphones and music, plus every reviewer has their own preferences in sound.  Someone preferring one device over another doesn't mean that the non-preferred device is bad.  It was one guy's impressions.  Other people's impressions have been quite favorable so far.

Putting pressure on this device or any new, unheard device to be a game changer or giant killer is only going to lead to disappointment.  We already know we are getting more functionality and versatility than anything else on the market, in a good looking package, at a good price.  We have been given the privilege of sharing our opinions and desires with a manufacturer that has listened, and I believe we will get a good product in return.  It probably won't be perfect, some of us might not like it, some people might find it to be their end game.  I have no idea why one should expect this to blow away high quality gear that cost more money from a year or two ago.  I don't think anyone has been hyping this to that level.

Well, I sought of disagree with you, it has been touted to be the best and most versatile portable product. Statements like "HiFi-M8 redefines the portable DAC/Amp." That its sound is in the middle between the Dacport and Mini makes that so.
But you know what......that's what I think.....and I have been wrong and am not going to get chapter and verse to back up my thoughts. I'm sure it will be good, I just have been waiting for the "redefines" part.

May 24, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #60 of 1,326
My two cents on the review from my impressions.

The M8 had a well balanced sound that’s relatively flat from top to bottom.
-I agree.
The sound was moderately darker than the Japanese i-Dacs though not as warm and as full bodied as the Cypher Labs Solo.
-CLAS warm and full bodied?- sounds like the Fostex! Plus the Clas sound sig also depends on the amplifier used.
I didnt find it dark which suggests a murkiness to me, i did find it full bodied.
Tonality is darker than all of the current Centrance devices including the Dacport CX and LX, as well as the Dacmini CX and PX. However it’s also quite grainy just like I find the Dacpot CX to be.
-I have no experience with other centrance products.
The sound was pretty good but I wasn’t really wowed by it especially after listening to the ADL X1.
-No idea again, i didnt try the other products to compare.
Sound quality is definitely not as smooth and clean as the ADL X1 and the Fostex HP-P1, and I thought that the CypherLabs devices are warmer and more musical sounding.
-Seemed smooth and clear to me, just uncolored is the word i would have chosen. Again cypher labs described as warm? Usually not the word attached to them.
Just for the record the Headfonia Store is a dealer for Fostex and Centrance, but we don’t sell CypherLabs, ADL, and Venture Craft.
-ok.

Not trying to argue with Headfonia Mike- just offering my counterpoints.
Of course these are subjective opinions each has his own ears and opinions, as others have written it is good to acquaint yourself to a reviewers tastes and way if writing-mine is short and sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back