Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Jul 16, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #122 of 1,326
Quick impressions with the UM Miracle and M8 = no hiss, dead silent background and a match made in heaven.  The combo sounds better than it does with my DX100.  The tone shaping feature works well.  I can hear the difference much better with the miracles than I did with the HE500.  It only adds just a touch with each step.  Very well incorporated.  

Jul 17, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #123 of 1,326
Quote:
Quick impressions with the UM Miracle and M8 = no hiss, dead silent background and a match made in heaven.  The combo sounds better than it does with my DX100.  The tone shaping feature works well.  I can hear the difference much better with the miracles than I did with the HE500.  It only adds just a touch with each step.  Very well incorporated.  

This is great news. I have a pair of CIEMs and a pair of HE500s. Your impressions are much appreciated.

Jul 17, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #124 of 1,326
Anyone have any impressions concerning the impedance switch settings and effect on the sound?
Curious.
Settings are 1,2 and 11ohm.

*I have some thoughts but I dont want to influence responses.

Jul 17, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #128 of 1,326
Received mine a few of hours ago. My initial impressions using my jh13 with plusound 6n silver cable can be summed up with three words.....analog, refined, liquid. Much more to follow.

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #129 of 1,326
Comparison time.
dy9ase7a.jpg

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #131 of 1,326
this I want to read
eventually I will have a mini review together with the comparison being a small part. I started last night but my testing was flawed due to a mismatch on the Gain settings as the hifi-m8 is more powerful.
I used two 4G ipod touches and two stock ipod charging usb/LODs for neutrality.

Jul 18, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #135 of 1,326
I did a little experimenting using as a dac today. Michael has already stated because of how clean the output is that it can be used as a dac with the volume at 3:00 if I remember correctly. The results have been interesting. First I tried it with all switches to the left(default) and volume at 3:00. I was pretty disappointed with the results. The sound was clean, but it was significantly lower than the source I was comparing it to(marantz sa8004). The bass was anemic, sound stage collapsed, the treble sounded shrill, and the mids were thin. The overall all sound was a bit cold sounding.

I immediately thought something was wrong and double checked the settings and they were all correct. Then I tried turning the volume all the way up(it goes to 5:00). The sound really didn't get louder(maybe just a hair), but it became a bit muddy. So I guess it's safe to assume I remembered correctly when Michael said turn the pot to 3:00 to use as a dac. So at this point I'm thinking this unit is pretty much fail using it as a dac. So given how low the output was, I thought I would try it with the gain bumped to the second position.

Well "Houston we have lift off"!! Everything changed. Going back to my marantz, the sound level sounds identical. This is very surprising. I'm now wondering if the default gain was toned down to compensate for using iems because it's significantly lower than the line out from my other sources. The bass has now returned, and gone is the thin sounding mids, and shrill highs. This is very surprising, but nonetheless, I can now move on to doing some serious listening using it as a dac.

First of all, with the volume at 3:00 and the gain in the second position, the sound is really clean with a fairly black background. Compared to my sa8004, it's a bit closer than I was expecting. There's just a hint of grain in the mids, and the bass doesn't dig quiet as deep with just a wee bit less slam compared to the marantz. But overall it's still closer than I was expecting. They both do have some similarities though. They both are slightly on the warmer side of neutral(a good thing for me), so they tilt more toward th analog and musical side of things than the analytical side. The center image of the marantz puts you a couple of more rows back, but the sounds stage width is really close between the two.

But on the other hand, of course I can't use the same interconnects with the two given the 1/8 inch and 1/4 inch single ended. And also, I'm using 6n silver interconnects on from my marantz. And this was using cd playback on the marantz vs ipad/m8 combo(using my iphone 5 as a remote with the ipeng app). I do plan to use it as a spdif converter as soon as I find my optical to 1/8in adapter. Using it as a dac only, I would easily put it on par with a music streamer pro I recently sold and a little above a musical fidelity vdac II I use to have. I'm going to compare it to my stagedac later. Now that should really be an interesting comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back