CD's You Know You "Should" Like but Dont?
Nov 7, 2003 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

Nightfall

Headphoneus Supremus
I cant be alone in sometimes thinking that I "should" really like certain cd's but, for whatever indecipherable reason, dont. The most recent examples that come to mind are:

Annie Lennox - Bare - I've always liked her music, and her voice. Many, many people here whose musical opinions I usually share love this but other than one song, I just plain dont enjoy it

Beth Orton - Daybreaker - again, an album that many people here love, and I was sure I would, I'm a big fan of her two earlier efforts but, to me, this sounds terribly overproduced and playing against her strengths ( I DO really like the recently released "The Other Side of Daybreak though)

ColdPlay - A Rush of Blood to the Head - huge critical and sales success and usually the kind of hook laden stuff that I enjoy but I just cant connect with it, gave it to my niece who loves it

You all must have some you feel that way about

JC

Nov 7, 2003 at 6:09 AM Post #2 of 57
You're not alone on the coldplay thing, although i would argue if one really should like it
wink.gif

30 degrees everywhere by the promise ring is one of those albums that i should love but for some reason never was able to get into.

Elephant by the white stripes is another album, even if the recording is amazing and the vinyl just looks damn cool, but i've always found that it sounds like something is... missing.

Nov 7, 2003 at 6:27 AM Post #4 of 57
Bah, i stand by what i always say about Kid A. It's inconsistant, godamnit!

Nov 7, 2003 at 6:54 AM Post #5 of 57
Errm... DSOTM perhaps? Sheesh, how many times can a person listen to the same darn thing over the years? It may be a good album, but it's ridiculously overhyped.

Nov 7, 2003 at 7:52 AM Post #6 of 57
Most discs found in the "Classical" section. Okay, so I'm a cretin!

Nov 7, 2003 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 57
I'll say anything by RADIOHEAD.

I've heard The Bends and think it's the most overated pile of poo that i've ever had the misfortune to hear. I only heard it because i'd borrowed it and it was the only album I had with me at the time. It was a choice listening to the old women wittering away on the bus or listen to Thom Yorke wittering away.

It doesn't sound like much at all to me. Sorry.

Nov 7, 2003 at 12:25 PM Post #8 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang

Ditto.

Nov 7, 2003 at 1:05 PM Post #9 of 57
"OK Computer" just hasn't grabbed me yet. What's all the hubbub?

"A Rush of Blood to the Head" leaves me, well...cold.

Most other recos from here I've liked, though.

Nov 7, 2003 at 3:42 PM Post #10 of 57
Quote:

chadbang said...

Ditto, and I'll also add the "Jazz" section to that list (except acid jazz, I love that stuff, but don't really consider it jazz anyways). So... I'm like, a really big cretin.

Nov 7, 2003 at 4:19 PM Post #11 of 57
  1. Electronic Music
  2. Lifeform and especially ISDN -- The Future Sound of London
  3. Almost everything by Klaus Schulze.
  4. Anything that Brian Eno sings.

Celtic/Folk Music
  5. The albums by Lunasa -- they are good, make no mistake; but are theythat good?
  6. Kate Rusby -- I understand why others like her, but isn't her voice a bit too flaccid?

Nov 7, 2003 at 4:56 PM Post #12 of 57
Everything by Radiohead except for The Bends, which I absolutely love. I think OK Computer just plain sucks and can't understand why everyone likes it so much.

Nov 7, 2003 at 5:09 PM Post #14 of 57
I don't think there is any such thing that you "should" like a certain CD. Just because it's "Popular" and sells more, does not mean you SHOULD like it.

Think and decide for YOURSELF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back