CD Prices too high? Steal it! - i didnt say that
May 14, 2009 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 165

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
May 14, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 165
ah..sadly..i am a new fan of NIN.

going to there concert in august.

but i found the video very inspiring for upcoming artists...

reznor has balls to be honest upfront.

May 14, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
reznor has balls to be honest upfront.

Theft ain't honesty.

You can pick the finer gray areas of downloading, but I won't do it.

I buy used. I still find old vinyl under $1 and CDs for $2-$3. I think those prices are fair, I have a clear conscience and Big Music doesn't see a dime.

May 14, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 165
If there's one thing I don't mind "stealing", it's certain OOP editions of cds. There's no need to pay someone upwards of 20x the original price (hello MFSL) that is in no way associated with the artist. If someone is kind enough to share their personal CD with me that they paid the original price for back when it was actually released (or for the suckers who pay out the a** for used ones on ebay today), then I gladly accept it!

May 14, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #8 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Theft ain't honesty.

You can pick the finer gray areas of downloading, but I won't do it.

I buy used. I still find old vinyl under $1 and CDs for $2-$3. I think those prices are fair, I have a clear conscience and Big Music doesn't see a dime.

People who steal don't have a conscience so their's is clear too.
beyersmile.png

May 14, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #11 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you do anything because Trent Reznor told you to, you deserve a swift kick in the bathing suit area.

X2 - I pay for my music. Thank you.

May 14, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #12 of 165
Quote:

This is the way to do it. There is so much good stuff out there for next to nothing. Plus, I like supporting local brick and mortar.

May 14, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #13 of 165
Quote:

Theft ain't honesty.

Quote:

Big Music doesn't see a dime.

The artists whose music you enjoy and profit from emotionally, spiritually, etc. also don't see a dime. Would you be happy if your legal and accounting customers (your "fans") used your services and skipped town?

Let's say you provide someone expensive legal fees (as legal fees are always expensive). The client then manages to pass on some perfect and exact embodiment of your legal expertise--your work, and work only you could produce--to some good friends at no charge, or better yet, sells your work at a public swap meet for $2-3. Because your legal work was so perfectly packaged, it lives on and is able to do its thing without further involvement from its creator. Pretty soon, there is little demand for lawyers anymore, since one customer solved the world's problems by paying for your services once. Why should anyone else have to bear that burden, and why should you be entitled to eat anymore?

May 14, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #14 of 165
If you love music but don't like the way Big Music operates, support independent music. If you don't buy it, they won't make it, and we'll have nothing to test our new gear with. People who have stereos worth in excess of $5000, who will not spend a pittance to keep our artists employed are a mystery to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back