CD Prices too high? Steal it! - i didnt say that
May 25, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #151 of 165
I remember a couple of years back the RIAA went after an automotive shop because they played the radio in the shop and the public could hear it so they considered that an infringement of playing copy righted music without paying for a license fee to do so. How ridiculous is that? Anyone know of this case and what happened in the end?

May 25, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #152 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty sure the RIAA is filing civil rather than criminal complaints.

I'm talking about a Harvard law professor who is taking the RIAA to court and not the other way around.

May 25, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #153 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by ksween93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[Compared to downloading / pirating material] buying CD's used is nothing more than a moral Splenda, if you will.

x2.
Quote:

However, I think the best thing I can do to promote that band and help them make a living through music is to spread that music, whether it is by playing their music for a friend or sharing a CD with someone I know. Publicity is much more valuable than the ridiculously small amount of money they make off of records.

x2! Very true.
Quote:

If Big Music really wants me to pay so much for music, then I should have the right to sue them $100,000 per overproduced, over mixed, lousy, piece-of-crap song that I don't like.

Well, no, you don't and you wouldn't :p Nice try though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember a couple of years back the RIAA went after an automotive shop because they played the radio in the shop and the public could hear it so they considered that an infringement of playing copy righted music without paying for a license fee to do so. How ridiculous is that? Anyone know of this case and what happened in the end?

My uncle Doug recently started saying, "Everyone is stupid and nothing works." This is a perfect example of that-- this is human idiocy, not the RIAA specifically. I caution you to be careful to aim your complaints towards the RIAA to things that are strictly RIAA-territory, and are provable / citable, legitimate, and because believe me there's hundreds if not thousands of just as ridiculous and frivolous lawsuits and/or other complaints like this one and none of them came from the RIAA. Incompetent, power-hungry idiots are everywhere. The RIAA isn't immune to this phenomenon but neither is anyone else...

EDIT: What I guess I’m trying to say is that anyone focusing on finger-pointing in the whole RIAA (and/or Big Music) debate is missing the point. Bitching about how ridiculous something is and how much it needs to change doesn't do anything. Trying to enact change, and brainstorm ways to enact change, and carry out said plans is the way to change things. Also, leading by example (major artists, the larger of the indie record labels, etc.) could -- theoretically -- have some effect on the stance of Big Music in such matters.

IMO a huge such example would be major artists refusing to play at shows at all if the venue / event tries to charge the fans too much. But, unfortunately, it seems that bands like Tool and Rancid among many many others don't mind charging 100 or 200$ a ticket, so the cycle continues and everyone loses (except the rich execs and rock stars, that is...) I recently went to a concert with Opeth and Dream Theater, both massive bands in the metal realm, and the ticket was like 65 bucks after all TicketBastard fees and taxes. Dream Theater has been playing for what, 3, 4 decades? They could easily have charged more but they (or someone in their crew) chose not to. It's not hard, and it's not rocket science. Again, the comment about greed and idiocy applies.

May 25, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #154 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I guess I’m trying to say is that anyone focusing on finger-pointing in the whole RIAA (and/or Big Music) debate is missing the point. Bitching about how ridiculous something is and how much it needs to change doesn't do anything. Trying to enact change, and brainstorm ways to enact change, and carry out said plans is the way to change things. Also, leading by example (major artists, the larger of the indie record labels, etc.) could -- theoretically -- have some effect on the stance of Big Music in such matters.

Whatever happened to just offing people when they're screw-ing things up?
icon10.gif
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #155 of 165
Quote:

Um, a lot of those used CDs that you see for sale cheap are actually stolen property from home break-ins. Used CDs in pawn shops are probably 90% (guesstimate) stolen property. Sorry to put a damper on your ethics issues but that's the truth of the matter. By buying used CDs you are supporting real criminals.

How about the ones I buy from Good Will? Lol, I doubt anyone went out of their way to donate someone else's stuff. At least I know the money is going to a good cause.

May 26, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #156 of 165
Quote:

My uncle Doug recently started saying, "Everyone is stupid and nothing works." This is a perfect example of that-- this is human idiocy, not the RIAA specifically. I caution you to be careful to aim your complaints towards the RIAA to things that are strictly RIAA-territory, and are provable / citable, legitimate, and because believe me there's hundreds if not thousands of just as ridiculous and frivolous lawsuits and/or other complaints like this one and none of them came from the RIAA. Incompetent, power-hungry idiots are everywhere. The RIAA isn't immune to this phenomenon but neither is anyone else...

Why would I need to use caution when I know the story is true? Go look it up if you don't believe me.

May 26, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #157 of 165
Quote:

Why would I need to use caution when I know the story is true? Go look it up if you don't believe me.

Nevermind
rolleyes.gif

Nice though for only responding to that part.

Quote:

Whatever happened to just offing people when they're screw-ing things up?
icon10.gif
biggrin.gif

Amen to that... laser-targeted low-yield missile strike for the win.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wonderwall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the ones I buy from Good Will? Lol, I doubt anyone went out of their way to donate someone else's stuff. At least I know the money is going to a good cause.

Not sure what to say on these regarding the Big Music / RIAA thing, but this is a good idea regardless! I just got a bunch of sweet vinyl records from Good Will for under 20 bucks. Almost all of them were under a buck each.

May 26, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #158 of 165
Quote:

Nevermind
rolleyes.gif

Nice though for only responding to that part.

Is this what you want? RIAA, PRS, same thing. Your Dad was wrong about me.

Scottish firm sued for blaring radios, infringing copyright

by Darren Murph, posted Oct 14th 2007 at 5:27AM
Sure, you may get yourself a ticket from local police if you roll around with that in-car stereo cranked, but at least you're not being sued for £200,000 ($407,680). Unfortunately for the Edinburgh-based Kwik-Fit automotive repair center, it actually is being taken to court for that astronomical amount by the Performing Rights Society, which "collects royalties for songwriters and performers." The PRS alleges that "Kwik-Fit mechanics routinely used personal radios while working at locales across the UK and that music, protected by copyright, could be heard by colleagues and customers." Astoundingly, Lord Emslie ruled that the case could actually be heard, so we guess we'll be relying exclusively on headphones from here on out.

May 26, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #160 of 165
Last thrashings of a dying dinasaur.

Big Music in its current incarnation is doomed, and they're grasping at straws and becoming more and more desperate in their bid to survive, without understanding that what they need to do to survive is to change with the times.

They'll ruin lives around them, and on their way to Hell where they belong they'll drag many people with them kicking and screaming. Within the next few years, next decade, however long they manage to cling on, they'll wreak a great deal of havoc before they finally die, and in the short term it's only going to get more and more ridiculous.

I see nothing unethical about striking them where it hurts. Legality is not ethics, and need I go through history to name some of the best examples of laws which we now think are unethical, or name some examples of current laws that are the same? Laws are artificial human constructs (and so are ethics for that matter) and implying that something is wrong because it is illegal gives laws a sense of divinity that they don't deserve. It is our duty as rational thinking citizens to be skeptical and critical of laws, because putting unquestioning faith into the offices of government endows it with a dangerous amount of power, which then affects everyone.

Besides, as I posted before, you're not ripping off the artists. The artists make very little off album sales, and are usually ripped off by the labels as much as consumers are. If you want to support the artists, go to their shows and buy their merchandise directly from them. Which I do.

May 27, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #162 of 165
Quote:

Is this what you want? RIAA, PRS, same thing. Your Dad was wrong about me.

by Darren Murph, posted Oct 14th 2007 at 5:27AM
Sure, you may get yourself a ticket from local police if you roll around with that in-car stereo cranked, but at least you're not being sued for £200,000 ($407,680). Unfortunately for the Edinburgh-based Kwik-Fit automotive repair center, it actually is being taken to court for that astronomical amount by the Performing Rights Society, which "collects royalties for songwriters and performers." The PRS alleges that "Kwik-Fit mechanics routinely used personal radios while working at locales across the UK and that music, protected by copyright, could be heard by colleagues and customers." Astoundingly, Lord Emslie ruled that the case could actually be heard, so we guess we'll be relying exclusively on headphones from here on out.

I didn't say anything about my dad in this thread. Do you actually read what people write before disagreeing with it, trolling and generally making a fool of yourself? I thought you were a grumpy jerk from earlier things said but this is just laughable. Consider yourself Ignored
wink_face.gif

May 27, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #163 of 165
Whatever. Your post wasn't constructed very well so must have misunderstood what you were trying to say. What was your point again?

Oh, yea, it was your Uncle Doug that was wrong about me and not your Dad.

May 27, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #164 of 165
popcorn.gif

May 27, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #165 of 165
I don't know why he is having a hissy fit when all I asked is what eventually happened in the case I posted about above. Seems he was implying I am stupid to believe such rumours but now that I have proven it was true and not a vicious rumour to sully the RIAA he isn't man/girl enough to apologize.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back