CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Mar 14, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #2,596 of 3,770
I'm not understanding your reply. Are you saying you found the C12 too aggressive in the treble (I assume you're referring to the 2.4k spike) and that the CKX is also aggressive in the treble?
I Found the C12 too aggressive but the CKX is cleaner and more extended and has very little harshness in the treble.

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #2,597 of 3,770
Try this on the CKX. Magical, you are right there with the musicians.

Mar 16, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #2,598 of 3,770
I have been trying the CS16 again with a Faaeal Hibiscus copper cable and KBEAR grey/red wide bore tips. The CS16 is very tip sensitive and this combination tames the brightness in the upper mids and lower treble. I'm liking this a lot, and the texture of the bass is much easier to appreciate.

Mar 16, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #2,599 of 3,770
I have been trying the CS16 again with a Faaeal Hibiscus copper cable and KBEAR grey/red wide bore tips. The CS16 is very tip sensitive and this combination tames the brightness in the upper mids and lower treble. I'm liking this a lot, and the texture of the bass is much easier to appreciate.
The CS16 snaps into my ear just like a custom IEM, but I have to use the very short tips that came with it.
I even tried SpinFits short wireless tips, but even those are too long and I lose the custom-like fit. Guess I could always trim the stems, but I'm fine with the original tips.
I bet a lot of people that don't like these along with the KZ ASX/ASF are not getting a good fit. As soon as I try other tips and lose that perfect fit the sound is affected.

Mar 16, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #2,600 of 3,770
The CS16 snaps into my ear just like a custom IEM, but I have to use the very short tips that came with it.
I even tried SpinFits short wireless tips, but even those are too long and I lose the custom-like fit. Guess I could always trim the stems, but I'm fine with the original tips.
I bet a lot of people that don't like these along with the KZ ASX/ASF are not getting a good fit. As soon as I try other tips and lose that perfect fit the sound is affected.
Wow! I just switched to the medium white tips in the box. Much better fit, the earpieces don't stick out like before. Soundstage is really good now. I found the supplied tips worked best on the CA16 as well. Thanks!

Mar 16, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #2,602 of 3,770
Mar 18, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #2,604 of 3,770
CST on the way.

Mar 19, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #2,605 of 3,770
I Found the C12 too aggressive but the CKX is cleaner and more extended and has very little harshness in the treble.
That helps, thanks.

Here are my listening impressions over the past week, and based on my preferences, I'd appreciate if you could let me know if the CCA CA16 or the CKX would solve my issues of wanting an IEM that doesn't need EQing:

Senn/Drop HD58x (my reference): For me, perfect bass... articulated, just the right amount of emphasis (compared to the HD600 which I sold for lack of bass), slightly recessed presence (2.4k on my Spotify equalizer, which I boost slightly).

Moondrop Starfield: Close to the HD58x, but with more upper mid energy, but lacking somewhat in bass. This tells me I must be a basshead without having realized it. I have boosted the 60Hz and 150Hz and lowered the 2.4k by a little in Spotify.

Audiofly AF100 Mk2: Large quantities of bass... but here is the important thing... it is tuneful, articulate, fast, nuanced. With this one I actually EQ down the 60 and 150 Hz. I also boost 2.4k and 15k about an equal amount. The issue with this one is a very laid back, rolled off treble. But mids are awesome.

CCA C12: The bass is muddy and one dimensional compared to the above three. At first I EQ'd 60 and 150Hz down some, because it just sounded thunk, thunk, thud, thud. But now I realize it has the right amount of bass, but the quality of that bass is monolithic and annoying. I used both the medium supplied Starfield silicones, as well as the medium Complys that the CCA store threw in.

The Starfield is closest, but at $118 inc. tax, I would still need to EQ it, which bugs me cuz there are times I cannot EQ optical out from my Samsung TV into SMSL (not S.M.S.L.) DAC/headphone out, and youtube on my iPhone. If the CKX or CA16 sound like they the sound I'm looking for, based on my descriptions above, that would be great.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #2,606 of 3,770
I think the DQ6 just got smoked by CCA CSN by an hairline, abit extension ( hi low frequency ) on both ends of DQ6 but timbre nuances is better on DQ6 being Triple DDs.

What's up with bro and sister companies, doing good!👍

P.S The big shell of CCA CSN might have in play here for the good low frequency response, can feel some tingling when " here come the Bass" 🤣☺️
20210320_003005.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #2,609 of 3,770
Hello
That helps, thanks.

Here are my listening impressions over the past week, and based on my preferences, I'd appreciate if you could let me know if the CCA CA16 or the CKX would solve my issues of wanting an IEM that doesn't need EQing:

Senn/Drop HD58x (my reference): For me, perfect bass... articulated, just the right amount of emphasis (compared to the HD600 which I sold for lack of bass), slightly recessed presence (2.4k on my Spotify equalizer, which I boost slightly).

Moondrop Starfield: Close to the HD58x, but with more upper mid energy, but lacking somewhat in bass. This tells me I must be a basshead without having realized it. I have boosted the 60Hz and 150Hz and lowered the 2.4k by a little in Spotify.

Audiofly AF100 Mk2: Large quantities of bass... but here is the important thing... it is tuneful, articulate, fast, nuanced. With this one I actually EQ down the 60 and 150 Hz. I also boost 2.4k and 15k about an equal amount. The issue with this one is a very laid back, rolled off treble. But mids are awesome.

CCA C12: The bass is muddy and one dimensional compared to the above three. At first I EQ'd 60 and 150Hz down some, because it just sounded thunk, thunk, thud, thud. But now I realize it has the right amount of bass, but the quality of that bass is monolithic and annoying. I used both the medium supplied Starfield silicones, as well as the medium Complys that the CCA store threw in.

The Starfield is closest, but at $118 inc. tax, I would still need to EQ it, which bugs me cuz there are times I cannot EQ optical out from my Samsung TV into SMSL (not S.M.S.L.) DAC/headphone out, and youtube on my iPhone. If the CKX or CA16 sound like they the sound I'm looking for, based on my descriptions above, that would be great.
Have a look at my reviews here:
CKX:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cca-in-ear-monitors-impressions-thread.900149/page-173
CA16:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cca-ca16.24390/reviews
Also read others' opinions and reviews, perhaps do not place too much emphasis on graphs and trust your ears!

Mar 20, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #2,610 of 3,770

Users who are viewing this thread

Back