Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Feb 17, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #2,012 of 2,182
There exist power split cables that you can use one side to power and the other to take data. Do a search "USB C power split cables". Just that since the existence of USB PD, I don't see anyone use it anymore.

On a side note, I use a iPhone and they do limit the power draw from the amps. Not so sure about Samsung phone. Maybe it's limiting how much can be drawn or drawn in an instance. Laptops and desktops generally don't restrict.
I am underwhelmed with the power restriction of my iPhone. Sounds muted at times. Will try it with my MacBook Pro today.

Feb 17, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #2,013 of 2,182
You can use the iBasso CB19 y-cable which is a very good one of the USB-data/power split-cables together with a powerbank or any external 5V power supply for portable use. Also the very specific active powered USB hubs for desktop use mentioned several times in USB-dongle threads here which also cleanly separate power and data ("pulwtop USB-C 4port hub") work very well to get the most out of your RU7 or any other USB-C dongle. But be aware that that is not true for any other random USB-hub.

Edit: It is nicely explaind here and many similiar posts:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hiby-fc6-r2r-dongle-dac-reborn.969134/post-17882915
... and the RU7 can draw up to 1.5W of power if properly supplied by an external source which the "normal" host devices usually do not provide from their USB-ports and thus limit its performance significantly.
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. :beerchug:

Feb 17, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #2,014 of 2,182
I use it with Headphone amp in Line out mode and the DSD64 sounds more natural with classical music. I use my R10P with that.
I also ordered the hifiman ef400 today to do some comparison. It costs not much more with open box sales. I'l use the dac section only.

Feb 22, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #2,016 of 2,182
The occasional minute soft clicking is the DSD conversion in play. Part and parcel of the 1bit tech.
thanks, this should be pinned somehow, as the question appears on pretty much every single site of this thread, because some generations seem to have lost their reading abilities...

Feb 22, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #2,017 of 2,182
I use it with Headphone amp in Line out mode and the DSD64 sounds more natural with classical music. I use my R10P with that.
I also ordered the hifiman ef400 today to do some comparison. It costs not much more with open box sales. I'l use the dac section only.
I find the EF400 to present micro details with more clarity and more forward present mids than RU7. However, considering the size of the RU7 and the fact it's been designed around portable use vs standalone desktop DAC amp (EF400), it is simply unbelievable what the RU7 can do. Both sound beautifully musical, analogue and extremely engaging.
Look forward to your opinions 👍🏻.

Feb 23, 2024 at 4:09 AM Post #2,018 of 2,182
Question to RU7 owners: I use my RU7 a lot with my Macbook Pro. I notice that when the charger of the Macbook Pro is plugged in, I hear a lot of noise. When I unplug it, there no noise anymore. Is there a solution to this?

Feb 23, 2024 at 4:32 AM Post #2,019 of 2,182
Question to RU7 owners: I use my RU7 a lot with my Macbook Pro. I notice that when the charger of the Macbook Pro is plugged in, I hear a lot of noise. When I unplug it, there no noise anymore. Is there a solution to this?
That's the way it is with most of PC circuits. When plugged in, my windows PC had more noise compared to mac with DACs like RU6 and Mojo 2.

Feb 23, 2024 at 4:38 AM Post #2,020 of 2,182
There are "noise silencers", for example: https://ifi-audio.com/products/isilencer-plus/

I have not tried this myself, so I cant comment on how effective it is, or if it alters the sound in any way. But perhaps someone else in this thread has experience with it?

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:48 AM Post #2,021 of 2,182
Just with IEMs, or with your headphones as well? Also, what kind of noise are you hearing?

Feb 24, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #2,022 of 2,182
hello, i have some question ... so currently i own fiio k7 & k9 pro , and now want to buy a dongle to use for my iem

maybe anyone have comparison how's RU7 sounds compare to k7 or k9 pro?
and i heard if i want more analog-ish sound, its actually better buy RU6?

thx b4

Feb 24, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #2,023 of 2,182
Just go with the the MFi07S Cable. No issues on high gain at dsd256 with iPhone 13 pro max.
I’m using that cable with my iPhone 14pro and can’t get it to work, it cuts out or won’t even play at all :frowning2: the cable works with my other dacs and the ru7 works fine through my MacBook so it’s definitely the combo of my phone and ru7. Anyone find a solution to this?

Feb 24, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #2,024 of 2,182
Look forward to your opinions
@Brain Damage
Here is my comparison between RU7 (DSD64) and EF400 (DAC).
I use the Cayin HA-3A Headphone amp.

Setup:
1) UAPP as source bit perfect, RU7 connected to pulwtop hub, into amp via balanced 4.4>xlr; R10P connected via XLR to amp
2) UAPP as source bit perfect, EF400 connected via xlr into amp; R10P connected via xlr to amp
Important: On EF400 only use the XLR outs not the RCA!
The RCA is quieter and carries a lot less energy (bass, trebles, etc.) you can't make that up with higher volumes on the amp!

I think you can melt it down to two sentences:
A) RU7 is warmer and that's very beneficial for the reproduction of female voices. Timbre in mids is better
B) EF400 is better at everything else.

The RU7 in my setup makes the song "norah jones - don't know why" magical (DSD64 only)
Without the RU7 it's a good song, but with RU7 in the chain, it touches your soul. Simple as that.
But at the same time, the RU7 doesn't do that to all songs or all voices.
I guess it has to be a song that's focusing 100% on the voice and has very lean instrumentation.

The EF400 is close and way more realistic than my 5000$ ESS9038q2m all-in-one (AVM CS 2.3) but it's not as good for that kind of songs as the RU7.
So why it is better for everything else?
As soon as it gets dense the ef400 provides a lot of good attributes.
1.) It's smoother as the ESS9038q2m, you can hear at very loud volumes without any harsh edges
2.) it's not as warm as the RU7, not so focused on the mids, bass and trebles are more energetic
3.) Separation is a lot better, more clarity, RU7 sounds a bit muddy and stressed
4.) Better detail retrieval
5.) Bigger sound stage

Good example are rock songs like Metallica - My friend of Misery
Guitars in general sound extremly good with the ef400
Bass drums have better slam and are more precise
Cymbals really cut though the sound.
Guitars don't mix with voices or bass guitar. You can hear the difference already at the beginning (Intro), it sounds less warm, well defined and more realistic.

If you like to use the RU7 as a dac, it really makes a difference to use the balance out and line out setting.
And if you listen to vocalists mainly, I think you don't need much more.

For dense music, rock, pop, the RU7 is not a "very" good choice as a desktop dac.
I prefer the ef400 for it's energy, clarity and better bass.
Everything sounds more controlled.

In any case the HA-3A adds a lot to the fun I have with both dacs.
The amp in the ef400 does not add much to the sound. The HA-3A makes the music more smooth and at the same time more energetic.

In the end it all depends on the combination.
I can't tell you how the RU7 sounds with another amp or paired with different headphones.

Feb 25, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #2,025 of 2,182
It may sound crazy, but I immensely enjoy Audeze LCD2 driven by RU7 and this is only using single ended now. LCD2 has a mid dip which needs a few DB's boost, but then this headphone can become slightly harsh on some recordings. With RU7 it plays without any hint of harshness, yet still possessing technically impressive sound.

Yes it slightly lags behind my main desktop stack, but on my 2nd & semi-portable setup I pick RU7 instead of Mojo2 or Qutest. It does timbre so well without sounding like a warm poop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back