Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Feb 4, 2024 at 2:55 AM Post #1,951 of 2,229
Man that driver sucks. Many little pops, and dropouts @Andykong
I’ve never tried it with Windows but I get artifacts with Android, iPhone 15, MacOS, and my microRendu. (ie. no driver)
I've tried multiple cables.
It seems to be worse the lower the sample rate of the source and as it gets warm.
Most of the time I can’t use use it with the case as it gets too hot and starts to drop out.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #1,952 of 2,229
1706774855860.png

The Chinese New Year is arriving and we are all eagerly looking forward to the holidays. The Cayin team will perform a thorough cleaning up of our manufacturing facility on 3rd February, and our Zhuhai facility will be closed from 4th February to 18th February.

To a lot of workers and staff in Cayin who have family outside the Guangdong Province, this is their only occasion to reunite with their family and friends after a long year of hard work. We shall resume our office on 19th February Monday.
Will there be a restock on your official store for the ru7 before chinese new year.

Feb 4, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #1,953 of 2,229
Do we know if there are any firmware updates and how to install them? I can't find anything about it on the Cayin website.

Feb 6, 2024 at 1:35 AM Post #1,954 of 2,229
Do we know if there are any firmware updates and how to install them? I can't find anything about it on the Cayin website.

There wasn't any. Ru7 is based on a discrete resistor network DAC, unlike other Dongle DACs that use highly integrated semiconductor chipset in the DAC function, the discrete resistor network in RU7 is NOT programmable, the firmware in RU7 does nothing to control the DAC function, it was used to deal with the UI and the control buttons only, hence no need to revise at all.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 6, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #1,955 of 2,229
Will there be a restock on your official store for the ru7 before chinese new year.

The Cayin factory will resume office on 19 February 2024. There won't be any service or operation in the Zhuhai office before that.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 6, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #1,956 of 2,229
I can say pretty confidently that the RU7 mates incredibly well with the Meze 109 Pros. Really improved their resolution, midbass, and tamed the sizzle without losing the air. I can't believe I was languishing in mediocrity with the Topping DX3 Pro+.
could you please do a comparison regarding soundstage, specially depth, height and layering, between the dx3 pro+ and the ru7? i own the dx3 pro+ myself and i am always on the hunt for the deepest soundstage in all of my gear. dont care for resolution, bass and soundstage width tho.

Feb 6, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #1,957 of 2,229
The Sony A306 is volume capped in Singapore, US, Canada and EU, which makes it a joke for those sold in these countries (can't power low sensitivity/high impedance gear). It even has difficulty driving some IEMs such as the Final E5000.

Have not tried the ZX507.

For the W1MA (with Mr Walkman mod), the W1MA is still superior in imaging, micro-details, layering. But it costs much more than the RU7, so diminishing returns.

I do believe a more fair comparison would be RU7 in line out mode with a portable amp 🆚 a DAP with roughly the same size.

I don't think many things could beat RU7 in that configuration.

Feb 6, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #1,958 of 2,229
Do you believe the Cayin RU7 will be restocked on your official store on aliexpress for chinese new years?

@Andykong

The Cayin factory will resume office on 19 February 2024. There won't be any service or operation in the Zhuhai office before that.
Thank you very much for the information. I decided on the ru7 over fc6. I cant wait!

Feb 6, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #1,959 of 2,229
Feb 6, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #1,960 of 2,229
Hi everyone, I bought my cayinru7 from hifigy a few days ago so really anticipating its arrival. I will use them with the dunu alpha 3 for now and later with the sennheiser ie600 as well. In combination with my iphone 15.
One quick question thouugh due to visual impairment using th emenu system is a bit of a struggle although I think the default settings will probbably be fine but I could not find a digital manual to check more on it.
Will changes you make in the settings menu remain in effect if you remove the dongle from usb power or will things return to default the?
I will be using it with apple music lossless does it have any benefit to set the decoding to dsd for sound or does that just waste battery in my case?
Thanks in advance for any info
Greetings, Anouk,

Feb 6, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #1,961 of 2,229
Hi everyone, I bought my cayinru7 from hifigy a few days ago so really anticipating its arrival. I will use them with the dunu alpha 3 for now and later with the sennheiser ie600 as well. In combination with my iphone 15.
One quick question thouugh due to visual impairment using th emenu system is a bit of a struggle although I think the default settings will probbably be fine but I could not find a digital manual to check more on it.
Will changes you make in the settings menu remain in effect if you remove the dongle from usb power or will things return to default the?
I will be using it with apple music lossless does it have any benefit to set the decoding to dsd for sound or does that just waste battery in my case?
Greetings, Anouk,
it will remain the same if you're using it in Phone Out mode. Meaning if you were to use it at 64/128/256 and Low/High gain, it will remain the same after you unplug then plug it. However, if you're using it in LO mode, it will revert to PO mode

Feb 6, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #1,962 of 2,229
Greetings, Anouk,
It always converts to DSD.
You can choose DSD 64/128/256
The higher the rate the more battery it uses.
You can find reviews here and elsewhere that give impressions of the sound at different settings.

Feb 7, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #1,963 of 2,229
1000014868.jpg
1000014779.jpg

My brand new Ru7 has arrived just before the lunar new year, and it fills my heart with joy!

With the all-to-DSD 256 option, I am deeply impressed by its ability to bring forth highly detailed sounds with remarkable levels of separation and layering. Despite being a dongle, it creates a breathtakingly expansive, holographic 3D soundstage. The timbre quality is equally impressive, it sounds natural and lifelike, with big big yet precise imaging and an energetically tuned sound, creating an immersive listening experience. The dynamic range is also respectable.

Overall, this device delivers a very complete sound with minimal compromises for such a small device. I'm very please with my Ru7 purchase far. This impressions are based on my use with the Moondrop Chu. Currently, my IER-M9 and Topping G5 are currently not in my vicinity, but I am excited to pair them with my Ru7!:L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back