Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Jan 19, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #1,921 of 2,164
Jan 19, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #1,922 of 2,164
While I don't use it as a portable amp (have the 120v desktop power supply connected), I use my KAEI TAP-1S tube hybrid amp with the RU7 connected with a 4.4mm TRRRS cable. I think the RU7 volume is set to ~70. With the amp gain set to high, the amp's volume knob is usually between 9:00 & 12:00, depending on whether I'm using earphones/earbuds or headphones.
Why not set the RU7 to LO mode?

Jan 19, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #1,923 of 2,164
Why not set the RU7 to LO mode?

The output is too loud, even with the amp gain set on Low. Can only use a couple of degrees of rotation of the Volume knob.

Actually - I need to EDIT my previous post, to say that I use the RU7 with Volume set to ~40, and not ~70.

EDIT: To add - Happy Birthday to @Andykong !

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #1,925 of 2,164
Well, IOS 17.3 is now out. Unfortunately, the bug that prevents DoP from working with iphone 15 Pro Max (and probably all USB-C iphones) is still present. Andy, can you revisit this issue with your engineers and see if they have any thoughts?
What issue are you referring to?
I just bought an RU7 and DoP is working fine for me on iPhone 15 Plus iOS 17.3.
Was ok on the previous iOS version too.

IMG_0012.png

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #1,926 of 2,164
What issue are you referring to?
I just bought an RU7 and DoP is working fine for me on iPhone 15 Plus iOS 17.3.
Was ok on the previous iOS version too.

Interesting. When I tested Roon, with IOS 17.2, DSD was converted to high bitrate PCM. I wonder if the issue is just limited to the Pro Plus model?

The downside of Roon is that it is not "portable". One needs to be tethered to the home. I like to be out and about with my toys.

But your sample does show that DSD via DoP can be done; now I suppose we need to see more apps figure how to get this done.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #1,927 of 2,164
Interesting. When I tested Roon, with IOS 17.2, DSD was converted to high bitrate PCM. I wonder if the issue is just limited to the Pro Plus model?

The downside of Roon is that it is not "portable". One needs to be tethered to the home. I like to be out and about with my toys.

But your sample does show that DSD via DoP can be done; now I suppose we need to see more apps figure how to get this done.
By default Roon does convert DSD to PCM on iPhone.
You have to go into device setup and change it.
Roon ARC will do DoP too but the setting only appears if you have a DAC connected.
ARC does work when away from home but your Roon server needs to be running or you need to have downloaded music to your phone with it.

But I agree it would be nice if DSD was more available in mobile apps.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #1,928 of 2,164
Maybe you guys can help. When i plug my Hidiz MP145 IEM's into the balanced output I get a really strong hum. I touch the headphone connector or the RU7 and it goes away. I don't get a hum with the SE output going to my Meze 109 Pro's. Thoughts?

Jan 23, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #1,929 of 2,164
By default Roon does convert DSD to PCM on iPhone.
You have to go into device setup and change it.
Roon ARC will do DoP too but the setting only appears if you have a DAC connected.
ARC does work when away from home but your Roon server needs to be running or you need to have downloaded music to your phone with it.

But I agree it would be nice if DSD was more available in mobile apps.
I suppose I should have spent more time with my Roon trial now that I know it actually could have supported DoP. When I browsed the forums I never found the settings that you seem to have found. Instead, I was pointed towards yet another piece of software to supposedly support DoP. Where is the setting that you found to support DoP?

With regard to other apps, I am hoping that other software might offer workarounds for the DoP issue. Ever Play can do DoP with my RU7, but Ever play is unable to properly handle gapless playback. Ever Play also does not provide DoP to my other dongle, the FIIO Q3-MQA.

No other app supports DoP properly to my knowledge on the iPhone 15 Pro max but I would love to be wrong and am open to people's thoughts.

Jan 24, 2024 at 12:04 AM Post #1,930 of 2,164
Where is the setting that you found to support DoP?
On the now playing screen click the volume icon. Then the gear icon, then device setup.
It’s in a different place on Roon ARC: Bring up the MUSE page (it’s the waveform icon) and click the gear icon - which is near the top in ARC. It’s at the bottom in Roon Remote 🤷‍♀️
The option won’t be there in ARC unless a DAC is connected.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 12:31 AM Post #1,931 of 2,164
Maybe you guys can help. When i plug my Hidiz MP145 IEM's into the balanced output I get a really strong hum. I touch the headphone connector or the RU7 and it goes away. I don't get a hum with the SE output going to my Meze 109 Pro's. Thoughts?
That looks like grounding issue. Make sure that your 4.4mm cable has proper grounding. If you are using a 2.5mm cable with a 4.4mm adapter, it may also cause grounding issue since 2.5mm doesn't have a grounding.

Jan 24, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #1,932 of 2,164
That looks like grounding issue. Make sure that your 4.4mm cable has proper grounding. If you are using a 2.5mm cable with a 4.4mm adapter, it may also cause grounding issue since 2.5mm doesn't have a grounding.
Thanks. I plugged the RU7 into my phone and didn't experience any humming. Tried an ifi idenfender between the computer and the RU7, no effect.

Jan 27, 2024 at 1:54 AM Post #1,933 of 2,164

Dmitri of Neutron Player says the problem is partially solved in the IOS 17.4 beta.

Assuming this is correct, things are looking better. I must say Dmitri deserves our business for being so helpful.

Jan 29, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #1,934 of 2,164
I received my RU7 today. To say that I'm impressed is an understatement. It totally blows my Shanling UA5 out of the water. WAY better soundstage, and the individual
instruments are comfortably right where they belong. Absolutely no need to EQ. Excellent lows. Very sweet midrange, and highs are really good.

My Questyle M15 is close, but just a bit more of a "CD sound" whereas the RU7 reminds me of playing vinyl.

I'm listening thusly: iPhone 15 ProMax - RU7 - Grado RS325X. It even sounds great through my old Ultrasone HFI-780.

I sort of understand the technology of the RU7. But I CAN say that it sounds REALLY good, and I will be getting rid of the UA5.

Jan 29, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #1,935 of 2,164
Dongles-Soundly-Musical.jpg

I've just completed a Dongle Shootout that includes the RU7 which you're cordially invited to read here. :smiley:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back