Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
May 17, 2024 at 4:12 AM Post #2,161 of 2,214
I gave up on my FIIO Q3-MQA and sold it on ebay.

Too bad Q3 is the perfect companion for RU7 on the go. RU7 in line out mode and DSD 256 + Q3 in amp mode with bass boost on is a killer lightweight combo for IEMs

May 17, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #2,162 of 2,214
Too bad Q3 is the perfect companion for RU7 on the go. RU7 in line out mode and DSD 256 + Q3 in amp mode with bass boost on is a killer lightweight combo for IEMs
One of the primary attractions of the Q3 was the higher powered THX amp so your idea makes sense. Then again, the idea for me was to have a great DAC and AMP in one unit. The Q3 MQA turned into a fail for me with the iphone 15 because I am a DSD fan. If FiiO had just admitted they have a problem and won't fix it I might have been okay with it. Their plan to avoid my questions and then fabricate the answer that there is no problem did not sit well with me.
, .
My IEMs must be fairly efficient because I have never detected an issues with clipping or headroom limitations with the RU7.

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #2,163 of 2,214
Yes, RU-7 stills holds its own against even iBasso DC-Elite in the untechnical term "musical sweetness" and also cohesive holography...everything presents as though going through a tube amp of Cayin's.

DC-Elite is into the very technical side of things and cooler than RU-7 tonally...still weighing up which one to keep.
Based on everything I have seen, the only potential upgrade to the RU7 would be the DC-Elite. So your analysis makes sense.

I know in this hobby something better inevitably comes along but my satisfaction level with the RU7 is quite high.

I can't remember which HiFi journal had the survey, but the top three dongles from a reader vote were listed. The RU7 was the bottom of the list, but the others were all quite pricey. To the point where I wouldn't have read the reviewsfor the other two dongles. $2000 for a dongle (twice the price of the iphone) didn't make sense to me.

May 17, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #2,164 of 2,214
Based on everything I have seen, the only potential upgrade to the RU7 would be the DC-Elite. So your analysis makes sense.

I know in this hobby something better inevitably comes along but my satisfaction level with the RU7 is quite high.

I can't remember which HiFi journal had the survey, but the top three dongles from a reader vote were listed. The RU7 was the bottom of the list, but the others were all quite pricey. To the point where I wouldn't have read the reviewsfor the other two dongles. $2000 for a dongle (twice the price of the iphone) didn't make sense to me.
Stick with RU-7..it's sweet as honey and its swings and roundabouts with DC-Elite vs RU-7..they are quite polarised actually..

DC-Elite is sonically between Mojo2 and Hugo2, it's that better end of the Sabre DACs end of the spectrum..detail extraction above all else.

May 18, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #2,166 of 2,214
I am on strike with regards to ESS / Sabre. Not to say I don't have any devices with ESS; in fact probably too many. Now if I see that brand, I skip right over the product. Too clinical /sterile for my taste. I have positive vibes about CS and AKM. Haven't heard any R2R or ROHM systems.
You'd probably love R2R and ROHM in direction of Sabre analytics without the drawbacks.

May 18, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #2,167 of 2,214
Hi everyone.

Recent RU7 owner here, I've been really impress with this little dongle tbh, like really impress, my experience with dongle dacs is not that extensive but my first dongle was the Dragonfly black, then a fiio one that my father bought, it was okay, then my previous dongle was the aune yuki and now I bought the earmen colibri and the RU7, really different sound presentations for both and both have their advantages and disadvantages, the colibri without the Bass+ activated it's just to clinical and dry sounding, to be frank, the yuki even sounds better than the colibri in that mode, but when you engage the bass+ in this dongle, then the game changes and becomes and incredibly fun experience and much more engaging and comes a lot closer to the RU7.

Anyways, I've been trying to make my RU7 work with my iphone 11 but no luck yet, been trying different cables but it doesn't want to play anything, not tidal, apple music even youtube, looking for a friend.

May 18, 2024 at 11:17 PM Post #2,168 of 2,214
Hi everyone.

Recent RU7 owner here, I've been really impress with this little dongle tbh, like really impress, my experience with dongle dacs is not that extensive but my first dongle was the Dragonfly black, then a fiio one that my father bought, it was okay, then my previous dongle was the aune yuki and now I bought the earmen colibri and the RU7, really different sound presentations for both and both have their advantages and disadvantages, the colibri without the Bass+ activated it's just to clinical and dry sounding, to be frank, the yuki even sounds better than the colibri in that mode, but when you engage the bass+ in this dongle, then the game changes and becomes and incredibly fun experience and much more engaging and comes a lot closer to the RU7.

Anyways, I've been trying to make my RU7 work with my iphone 11 but no luck yet, been trying different cables but it doesn't want to play anything, not tidal, apple music even youtube, looking for a friend.
I found it really fussy with lightning iPhones.
You need a lightning cable designated for OTG that supports 2 amps.
Or you can try the Apple Camera Adapter.
Start with the RU7 set to DSD64 as that uses the least amount of power and lightning iPhones have power limitations.

I had the best results with this cable but it’s pricey.

https://cn.ddhifi.com/en/product/mfi07s/

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #2,170 of 2,214
How did you make windows generic driver work?

The Master volume control on a PC won't work. You have to use RU7 volume control only.
The generic driver just recognizes the device and sound plays fine. But yes, the master volume control doesn't work with either generic or cayin's driver. I have to adjust volume on RU7 itself.

May 19, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #2,171 of 2,214
Start with the RU7 set to DSD64 as that uses the least amount of power and lightning iPhones have power limitations.

Apple should have got rid of lighting long time ago. It’s a corporate greed …

May 19, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #2,172 of 2,214
The generic driver just recognizes the device and sound plays fine. But yes, the master volume control doesn't work with either generic or cayin's driver. I have to adjust volume on RU7 itself.
After I delete the Cayin driver, I cannot make foobar2000 to work unfortunately. It does not work with a generic driver

May 19, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #2,173 of 2,214

Yep, thx my dude, I already bought that cable and another one that apparently was design for the RU6, because I already tried a lightning to usb-c cable that came with the colibri and it didn't work, also I have the camera adapter for my iphone and the ru7 didn't even turn on, at least with the lightning cables I have, the dongle turns on but no sound comes to my headphones or even IEMs, and yes already tried at low gain, dsd64 and no sound, tried tidal and youtube to see if it was the app or something else and nada, yuki and colibri are working fine tho, so there's another issue going on within my phone and the RU7, hope is the cable because if I get this new ddHifi cable and it doesn't work, then it's my iphone 11 and I just spend a good amount of money for a very high quality cable that I don't really need.

Changing subjects, I tried using the RU7 as a DAC to feed my S17, it worked fine, but if I turn up the volume, there's a lot of noise coming into my DAC, something that doesn't happen with my current desktop app, just got the topping usb isolator, hope that helps, but I'm also afraid it could be the 4.4mm to double male xlr cable I'm using to feed the RU7 into my amp on LO mode, any suggestions for a good cable that could fulfill that role well?, I liked how it sounded even with the higher noise floor(for clarification purposes I'm using my gaming pc top feed my dac by usb, that's why I got the topping usb isolator), but the higher noise floor got me concern a bit, this is even noticeable with full size headphones, not just IEMs.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #2,174 of 2,214
You should adjust volume on RU7 after connecting it to you iPhone. Resistor network DAC is very demanding on input integrity and max output is the only way to safeguard the integrity of digital output from your mobile phone

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 20, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #2,175 of 2,214

Dang. I just ordered RU7 and recently bought this cable as iphone user. Can anyone confirm it won't work?

FIIO LT-LT2 Lightning to Type C USB Data Cable​

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CNTQGS2C?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Users who are viewing this thread

Back