Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Jan 4, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #1,891 of 2,173
The sound seems a bit less fluid in dynamics and smaller in soundstage for me with the case on. Could be imagining things, but this is something I noticed before ever reading other people's similar observances. It makes sense that it would get more warm with the case on. Although I think it sounds better when the unit is warm to the touch (without the case). I still love this dongle, though.
so, the case affect to the sound ???? wow, cayin really a great expert. even a case can affect the sound signature of the product.

Jan 4, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #1,892 of 2,173
Yeah, there's a very clear difference between them. The easiest description is 64 sounds v-shaped and somewhat compressed, 128 sounds the most natural, it reminds me of the short delay slow roll-off low pass filter on other DACs, and 256 has the most detail and the widest soundstage but it sounds artificially expanded and digital.

This DAC is interesting because it seems to perform better the more difficult the music being played is. Things like acoustic sound very nice though still a little loose, but throw something fast paced with complex passages at it and the performance scales up dramatically. It almost feels like it has the ability to predict notes before they're played and it's pulling the information out with its own hands instead of just interpreting it. I don't usually anthropomorphize devices but this one has a distinct personality, there was at least one genuinely brilliant engineer behind this.
ah.. that's different from my experience. I'm using samsung gal z fold 3. my iem is thieaudio v16 divinity. I tested dsd 64, 128 and 256. 128 and 256 sound soooo dry and thin. dsd 64 much fuller and warm. and the details are amazing.

Jan 4, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #1,893 of 2,173
ah.. that's different from my experience. I'm using samsung gal z fold 3. my iem is thieaudio v16 divinity. I tested dsd 64, 128 and 256. 128 and 256 sound soooo dry and thin. dsd 64 much fuller and warm. and the details are amazing.
I can see how that could be the case for some sets, the FH7 sound is pretty forward already so 64 makes it too bold for me, and even though the macro details are enhanced, at 128 another layer of micro-details pops up that I can't unhear now when I go back to 64, and that sealed the deal. But I do agree that 256 is too dry even for my set.

Jan 5, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #1,894 of 2,173
Hey everyone, just a few questions.

1. Does the start of each track skip a second with your unit as well? I’m not sure if I have a faulty unit or if this is something that can be resolved with a future software update.

2. I’m not sure if my ears aren’t any good but I honestly can’t hear much of a difference between the different DSD’s. Perhaps a little more warm with 64 and less so the higher I go but I’m not sure if its placebo.

3. I’m using the normal 3.5mm port, grabbing a balanced cable for my Meze 109 Pro’s this weekend. Did anyone notice an improvement switching to the balanced vs. normal port?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #1,895 of 2,173
Hey everyone, just a few questions.

1. Does the start of each track skip a second with your unit as well? I’m not sure if I have a faulty unit or if this is something that can be resolved with a future software update.

2. I’m not sure if my ears aren’t any good but I honestly can’t hear much of a difference between the different DSD’s. Perhaps a little more warm with 64 and less so the higher I go but I’m not sure if its placebo.

3. I’m using the normal 3.5mm port, grabbing a balanced cable for my Meze 109 Pro’s this weekend. Did anyone notice an improvement switching to the balanced vs. normal port?

Thank you!
2. Yes, when you set to 64, the sound more warm, the vocal more bold. Offcourse we can hear the diff.

3. For me, not an improvement, but only a diff sound sig. The two of them are very good sounds. If you like a more details sound, more colorations, just plug to the 3.5mm. if you like more relax, calm and laid back, plug to the balance port. Still the two of them are very good. IMHO.

Jan 7, 2024 at 2:47 AM Post #1,897 of 2,173
Thanks, seanjoe.

Another question, is there a way to bypass the DAC so I can control the volume via my iPhone rather the use the DAC’s buttons?
Why would you want to do that?

Jan 7, 2024 at 6:23 AM Post #1,898 of 2,173
Thanks, seanjoe.

Another question, is there a way to bypass the DAC so I can control the volume via my iPhone rather the use the DAC’s buttons?
Not recommended for both RU6 and RU7, resistor network based discrete DAC is very different from highly integrated semiconductor DAC chips, integrity of incoming bitstream plays an important role in the DAC performance, set volume to full output or use exclusive usb output are highly recommended.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 7, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #1,899 of 2,173
I can confirm that Cayin RU7 now works with my old macbook air. Strangely Cayin supplied USB to USB-C adapter doesn't work with RU7, but works with S2 only. I have no issues though using Lotoo provided adapter with both dongles. Out of curiosity would be interesting to know what could be the cause here..

Either way does anyone knows any clip I could buy for RU7 to be attached to pants while I'm out ?

Jan 7, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #1,900 of 2,173
Thanks, seanjoe.

You would need to purchase a dongle without hardware volume buttons then. Some I know are Truthear SHIO (specific firmware), FiiO KA3 and probably KA5 and E1DA 9038. However I much prefer hardware buttons as you can easily set the maximum volume for safety!

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #1,901 of 2,173
Why would you want to do that?
Easier on the go if I was able to use my Apple Watch to adjust volume or just click the iPhones volume buttons.

Not recommended for both RU6 and RU7, resistor network based discrete DAC is very different from highly integrated semiconductor DAC chips, integrity of incoming bitstream plays an important role in the DAC performance, set volume to full output or use exclusive usb output are highly recommended.
Gotcha, good to know as this is my first DAC. Thanks.

You would need to purchase a dongle without hardware volume buttons then. Some I know are Truthear SHIO (specific firmware), FiiO KA3 and probably KA5 and E1DA 9038. However I much prefer hardware buttons as you can easily set the maximum volume for safety!
Thats true as well! I’m happy with the RU7 so I’ll stick with it for now.

Jan 7, 2024 at 11:17 PM Post #1,902 of 2,173
To Apple users, do you notice a difference between your USB-C devices? I was listening using my iPad Air 5 all day then switched to my iPhone 15 Pro Max and noticed more “energy” and my headphones just felt more alive overall.

Jan 7, 2024 at 11:24 PM Post #1,903 of 2,173
To Apple users, do you notice a difference between your USB-C devices? I was listening using my iPad Air 5 all day then switched to my iPhone 15 Pro Max and noticed more “energy” and my headphones just felt more alive overall.
yes different from IPhone 14promax to Samsung Tab S9 Ultra....tab sounded better.

Jan 10, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #1,905 of 2,173
How can you tell what decibel you’re listening at when using the RU7?
I don't think you can, because the loudness (decibel) of your sound system is a function of the amplifier and earphone together, the sensitivity of your earphone plays an important role here. The RU7 (or even DAP) won't know the sensitivity of your transducer, so it can't tell the loudness you are listening.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back