Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Feb 1, 2024 at 2:44 AM Post #1,936 of 2,133
Now I am really in audio heaven. Neutron Player does what I need in terms of file management and generally presents the DoP signal to the RU7 in a clean fashion. My iphone 15 Pro Max is finally doing what I had wanted it to do, which is function well as a bitbucket serving up music to the RU7. From there right now it out to the LZ A7 with black filters (basically monitor setting). Other IEMs in play are the Letshouer S12 and possibly FLC 8D (with a 2.5 to 4.4 converter).

Most of what I am playing is DSD material and I must say I am really enjoying the sound.

Funny, but right now my two most in use devices are Cayin. My old N5II is still in use for night time playback.

However, that is quickly being supplanted with the iphone mated to the RU7. What I do is power the unit with a magsafe charger, and a stand that allows the clock mode to work. But I can still output music from the USB C and from there to the RU7.

My only other audio device of note is a FIIO Q3-MQA dongle but it isn't handle DoP yet with the iPhone 15. Actually the FIIO is a good sounding unit so I hope it eventually learns how to play the game.

This RU7 is the real deal and I am a happy owner.

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #1,937 of 2,133
1706774855860.png

The Chinese New Year is arriving and we are all eagerly looking forward to the holidays. The Cayin team will perform a thorough cleaning up of our manufacturing facility on 3rd February, and our Zhuhai facility will be closed from 4th February to 18th February.

To a lot of workers and staff in Cayin who have family outside the Guangdong Province, this is their only occasion to reunite with their family and friends after a long year of hard work. We shall resume our office on 19th February Monday.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 1, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #1,938 of 2,133
1706803250311.png

I made it to the front page :))

Feb 1, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #1,939 of 2,133
I am using the RU-7 with USB out from Windows 11 PC. The Windows volume controls do not control the volume output of the RU-7. I saw someone asked about this a while back but there wasn't an answer. I can't find a definitive statement as to whether this is possible or not.

So I went to check the USB driver.
The download tab of the product page on the Cayin website has no downloads listed. It would be useful if it did.
https://en.cayin.cn/features/7/124/603.html

When I go into the support section, then to drivers/downloads there's USB audio driver v5.58.0, but there's no date, and it doesn't state which systems are supported. It would be useful if it did.
https://en.cayin.cn/technical/9/18.html

When Google "RU7 driver" I find another Cayin page which has "Cayin USB Audio Driver for RU6&rU7". This page has a date and says it supports Win11, but no version number. It would be useful if it did. I therefore can't compare the two USB audio drivers on the Cayin site. Why are there two?
https://en.cayin.cn/drive/9/18/484.html

After downloading the second of these and running the installer (because it says it's specifically for the RU7), it seems Windows did not automatically pick it up. So I went into device manager and updated the driver, picking it from a list which had "Cayin USB UAC2 device" and the default Windows drivers listed. When I pick the Cayin version and reboot, the driver info tells me that it's dated 2021, whereas the date on the download page is 2023.

So then I downloaded the other USB driver and ran the install, but when I go to update the driver in device manager there's only the one Cayin driver listed so I suspect the two downloads may be the same?

Either way it still doesn't allow me to control the volume using the usual Windows controls.

So @Andykong any comments, in particular
- how do I know which is the correct driver to download?
- how do I know it is installed correctly if the dates don't match?
- is there any benefit to the Cayin driver over the default Windows driver?
- is it possible to control the volume using the Windows controls?

Thanks for any help, happy New Year, hoping you'll get a chance to answer before you're off on holiday but have a good time.

Nick

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #1,940 of 2,133
I am using the RU-7 with USB out from Windows 11 PC. The Windows volume controls do not control the volume output of the RU-7. I saw someone asked about this a while back but there wasn't an answer. I can't find a definitive statement as to whether this is possible or not.

The download tab of the product page on the Cayin website has no downloads listed. It would be useful if it did.

When I go into the support section, then to drivers/downloads there's USB audio driver v5.58.0, but there's no date, and it doesn't state which systems are supported. It would be useful if it did.

When Google "RU7 driver" I find another Cayin page which has "Cayin USB Audio Driver for RU6&rU7". This page has a date and says it supports Win11, but no version number. It would be useful if it did. I therefore can't compare the two USB audio drivers on the Cayin site. Why are there two?

After downloading the second of these and running the installer (because it says it's specifically for the RU7), it seems Windows did not automatically pick it up. So I went into device manager and updated the driver, picking it from a list which had "Cayin USB UAC2 device" and the default Windows drivers listed. When I pick the Cayin version and reboot, the driver info tells me that it's dated 2021, whereas the date on the download page is 2023.

So then I downloaded the other USB driver and ran the install, but when I go to update the driver in device manager there's only the one Cayin driver listed so I suspect the two downloads may be the same?

Either way it still doesn't allow me to control the volume using the usual Windows controls.

Thanks for any help, happy New Year, hoping you'll get a chance to answer before you're off on holiday but have a good time.

Nick
As per this comment the latest version have ASIO drivers, so you should be able to use foobar2000 and select ASIO output, this will give you bit perfect audio, as far as I know playing via standard windows mixer it is not bit perfect.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cayin-ru7-1-bit-resistor-network-dongle-dac-amp.968064/post-17601659

Also about volume control, you should only control volume via RU6 / 7 and keep windows volume at max to avoid software audio processing, also ASIO lock the volume control to max I think for this reason, Andy or others correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 10:59 PM Post #1,942 of 2,133
Feb 1, 2024 at 11:53 PM Post #1,943 of 2,133

Nick

When you go into the support section of Cayin webpage, there are TWO different sections, the default page is a support resource for HOME AUDIO products, you need to click on the PERSONAL AUDIO tab to access the support page of portable products such as DAP and Dongle DAC.

1706849530583.png

The V5.58 USB Audio Driver is the current version of our DAP since 2018. If you click on the v5.58 USB Audio Driver link, you'll find a detailed explanation of the Windows system support and a table to suggest the appropriate driver for different products. The date on the top of the page, 2023-08-15 as of the current listing, is the date of the last update on this download page, not the date of issue of the USB Audio Driver. We have kept this page updated to include new products in the support list, hence updated regularly.

V5.58 cannot support RU6/RU7 properly, that's why we have introduced a dedicated USB Audio Driver for the the Dongle DAC products. I hope this will clarified the confusion of different USB Audio Driver from our website.

Cayin USB Audio Driver List.jpg

Mainly the ability to playback DSD content because the Windows driver didn't include the ASIO by default. If you don't have any DSD content to deal with, you can use the default Windows driver with RU6 and RU7. They work fine according to my personal experience. Yes, they are not bit perfect, but they offer convenience and functionality that a lot of users prefer when they want to use Dongle DAC, this is particularly important to users who need to use Dongle DAC at office workstations with which they are not allowed to install any device driver or third party applications.

Not recommended for both RU6 and RU7, resistor network-based discrete DAC is very different from highly integrated semiconductor DAC chips, the integrity of incoming bitstream plays an important role in the DAC performance, setting volume to full output or using exclusive USB output is highly recommended, that why we have included an analog volume control AFTER the DAC circuit. Adding a volume control BEFORE the DAC circuit will lower the data integrity and defeat the purpose of the discrete resistor network DAC circuit. We have explained this design requirement in our product page, and in the opening post of this thread.

1706850542501.png

Last edited:

Feb 2, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #1,944 of 2,133
As per this comment the latest version have ASIO drivers, so you should be able to use foobar2000 and select ASIO output, this will give you bit perfect audio, as far as I know playing via standard windows mixer it is not bit perfect.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cayin-ru7-1-bit-resistor-network-dongle-dac-amp.968064/post-17601659

Also about volume control, you should only control volume via RU6 / 7 and keep windows volume at max to avoid software audio processing, also ASIO lock the volume control to max I think for this reason, Andy or others correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, we have stressed repeatedly that RU6 and RU7 are designed to use the full output from their digital source (e.g., HERE, HERE and HERE). Unfortunately, this proves to be a major difference from other Dongle DAC products that a lot of users are not very comfortable with.

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:04 AM Post #1,945 of 2,133
Thanks for the quick and clear explanation.
When you go into the support section of Cayin webpage, there are TWO different sections, the default page is a support resource for HOME AUDIO products, you need to click on the PERSONAL AUDIO tab to access the support page of portable products such as DAP and Dongle DAC.
Usability feedback is that that wasn't obvious to me and I won't be unique. Some brief explanation on the tabs would help.
Also on each tab just showing six products and having to 'click for more' in the hope that your product will appear seems an unnecessary annoyance.
The V5.58 USB Audio Driver is the current version of our DAP since 2018. If you click on the v5.58 USB Audio Driver link, you'll find a detailed explanation of the Windows system support and a table to suggest the appropriate driver for different products. The date on the top of the page, 2023-08-15 as of the current listing, is the date of the last update on this download page, not the date of issue of the USB Audio Driver. We have kept this page updated to include new products in the support list, hence updated regularly.
Usability feedback is that there's no indication that the name is clickable, or that it will give anything different from the download link. This could be clearer. It's also normal on software download pages to have the date of the software as an easier way of checking if there's anything new than knowing the version number.

thanks for your help again, and have a good break
Nick

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #1,946 of 2,133
Thanks for the quick and clear explanation.

Usability feedback is that that wasn't obvious to me and I won't be unique. Some brief explanation on the tabs would help.
Also on each tab just showing six products and having to 'click for more' in the hope that your product will appear seems an unnecessary annoyance.

Usability feedback is that there's no indication that the name is clickable, or that it will give anything different from the download link. This could be clearer. It's also normal on software download pages to have the date of the software as an easier way of checking if there's anything new than knowing the version number.

thanks for your help again, and have a good break
Nick

We used to include both the issue date and the last update date on our USB Audio Driver page. We removed the issue date of the USB Audio Driver based on the user's suggestion. Some users find it confusing when they are downloading a 2018 USB Audio Driver for their 2022 DAP. The more important information is which USB Driver is the most updated driver for which product. We took their advice and removed the date of issue from our USB Audio Drive page, and kept the last update date in the Driver description/download page, and compile the driver/product matching table as above.

Last edited:

Feb 4, 2024 at 1:54 AM Post #1,949 of 2,133
Hello everyone, could the Ru7 compete with mid-tier Daps like the Sony a306, zx507 or the old wm1a in terms of technicalities?

Feb 4, 2024 at 2:25 AM Post #1,950 of 2,133
Hello everyone, could the Ru7 compete with mid-tier Daps like the Sony a306, zx507 or the old wm1a in terms of technicalities?

The Sony A306 is volume capped in Singapore, US, Canada and EU, which makes it a joke for those sold in these countries (can't power low sensitivity/high impedance gear). It even has difficulty driving some IEMs such as the Final E5000.

Have not tried the ZX507.

For the W1MA (with Mr Walkman mod), the W1MA is still superior in imaging, micro-details, layering. But it costs much more than the RU7, so diminishing returns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back