Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Jan 10, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #1,906 of 2,145
Has anyone tried using this with the Centrance Ampersand before just for the extra oomph? If so, could you share your impressions.

Also, if you're using the line out function to connect the RU7 to an external amp could you share which cable you're using for that. I am specifically interested in the balanced line out functionality.

Jan 13, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #1,908 of 2,145
Has anyone tried using this with the Centrance Ampersand before just for the extra oomph? If so, could you share your impressions.

Also, if you're using the line out function to connect the RU7 to an external amp could you share which cable you're using for that. I am specifically interested in the balanced line out functionality.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240113-222953.png
    Screenshot_20240113-222953.png
    396.5 KB · Views: 0
Jan 13, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #1,909 of 2,145
I can say pretty confidently that the RU7 mates incredibly well with the Meze 109 Pros. Really improved their resolution, midbass, and tamed the sizzle without losing the air. I can't believe I was languishing in mediocrity with the Topping DX3 Pro+.

I also have the 109’s and RU7, which DSD do you find pairs best with the headphones?

Jan 14, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #1,911 of 2,145
I also have the 109’s and RU7, which DSD do you find pairs best with the headphones?
I don't own the Meze's, but I find the Monolith M1060Cs also pair very well with the RU7 and I find DSD64 to be the best setting (High gain, balanced 4.4)

Jan 17, 2024 at 10:37 PM Post #1,913 of 2,145
Has anyone found a Magsafe Case with enough strength to keep the RU7 secure?
I can’t use the sticker magnets as I sometimes use a Magsafe power bank.
I’ve got a new phone and tried a couple cases in store but none could keep it attached.
Although it won’t stay attached on the phone without a case either possibly because I’m using U18S and the jack is weighty. So I may be dreaming here.
Not essential but I’m thinking it might reduce wear on the USB ports and cable if it’s not flapping around as much.

Jan 17, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #1,914 of 2,145
I’ve got a new phone and tried a couple cases in store but none could keep it attached.
Although it won’t stay attached on the phone without a case either possibly because I’m using U18S and the jack is weighty. So I may be dreaming here.
Not essential but I’m thinking it might reduce wear on the USB ports and cable if it’s not flapping around as much.
I’ve seen people take MagSafe wallets that are made of stretch material and use that as a sleeve to hold a dongle dac

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:56 PM Post #1,915 of 2,145
I’ve seen people take MagSafe wallets that are made of stretch material and use that as a sleeve to hold a dongle dac
Oh that’s really clever.
Thanks I’ll try that.

I just tried attaching the magnet stickers to the MagSafe case I currently have.
Do not recommended.
Still wasn’t strong enough, prevented MagSafe charging, and I destroyed my fingernails taking them off again. 😅
It’s def the weight of my headphone jack that’s the issue. The RU7 stays put with MagSafe and a lighter cable jack.

Jan 18, 2024 at 12:58 AM Post #1,916 of 2,145
Oh that’s really clever.
Thanks I’ll try that.

I just tried attaching the magnet stickers to the MagSafe case I currently have.
Do not recommended.
Still wasn’t strong enough, prevented MagSafe charging, and I destroyed my fingernails taking them off again. 😅
It’s def the weight of my headphone jack that’s the issue. The RU7 stays put with MagSafe and a lighter cable jack.
yes, same here. I'm using V16 and the jack weight make it difficult to attach to the magnet.

Jan 18, 2024 at 4:05 AM Post #1,917 of 2,145
Something like this?
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...epic_mag_safe_dac_pocket_for_your_dongle_dac/

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 19, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #1,918 of 2,145
I was looking at putting a portable tube amp in front of the RU7...did anyone find a sweetspot volume level for that...and what are you using in front of the beautiful RU7 ? Technically double-amping but anyone doing this type of set-up ?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #1,919 of 2,145
I was looking at putting a portable tube amp in front of the RU7...did anyone find a sweetspot volume level for that...and what are you using in front of the beatiful RU7 ? Technically double-amping but anyone doing this type of set-up ?

Cheers.

While I don't use it as a portable amp (have the 120v desktop power supply connected), I use my KAEI TAP-1S tube hybrid amp with the RU7 connected with a 4.4mm TRRRS cable. I think the RU7 volume is set to ~70 - EDIT - to ~40. With the amp gain set to high, the amp's volume knob is usually between 9:00 & 12:00, depending on whether I'm using earphones/earbuds or headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #1,920 of 2,145
I use the LO into my Nitsch pietous Maximus sometimes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back