Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Jul 5, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #1,291 of 2,179
SA6 mk2 with RU7 can be nice if you like a very laid-back, warm listen, I guess, though admittedly not for me (I like bright & highly-resolving, which is a listening experience that this combination is not gonna give you). Helios is awesome with the RU7 because the warmth from DSD64 mode sorta reduces the impression of "BA bass timbre"

Haven't tried any of the other* IEMs you mentioned.
thx

Jul 5, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #1,292 of 2,179
is the width and depth of the ru7+s12pro good enough? 😊

Haha personally, no. I mean the S12 Pro to begin with has average soundstage, so there's only so much the RU7 can help in this department, the soundstage goes to just slightly outside the ears (4.4mm), but don't be expecting headphone like soundstage.

Jul 5, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #1,293 of 2,179
Hi, i have my RU7 today.
This dac has a unique feature, it allows you to choose the tone you prefer.
AlltoDsd at 64 there is a reproductive scale of the entire sound plane with an analogical similarity to coarser steps, from light to serious.
At 256 the steps become thinner to very fine, it expresses a very fine grain.

With Defa Leppard, rock, we tend to prefer the 256 with a lot of well reproduced details.
With jazz perhaps 64 would be preferred.It depends on the music genre.

My very first impression with the all new out of box small chain:
Uapp Qobuz --> ddHifi TC09S --> RU7 --> KZ ZAX

Pay attention to the TC28Cpro, I paid attention to the parent company due to a battery overload problem that should not be underestimated. Maybe ddHifi will fix it in next releases.
Is the overload when being used to charge an iPhone - just reconfirming? Other than using without feeding it power is fine?

Jul 5, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #1,294 of 2,179
Regarding TC28Cpro I can only add that I used it with an old i-phone charger connected to my i-pod (last gen) touch during 24/7 for a week for RU7 burn in and no problems at all. Only after I saw these threads popping up about potential battery overload.

Jul 5, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #1,295 of 2,179
For the ones who compared, does a RU7+C9 = N7?? 🧐
Still waiting my RU7. All countries around me having it, but not before 07/18… 🙄

Jul 5, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #1,296 of 2,179
Regarding TC28Cpro I can only add that I used it with an old i-phone charger connected to my i-pod (last gen) touch during 24/7 for a week for RU7 burn in and no problems at all. Only after I saw these threads popping up about potential battery overload.
I tested the TC28C Pro with my S22 Ultra and RU6, with a usbc power meter to measure the current. I unexpectedly found that the TC28C Pro significantly limited the charging current vs charging straight to the phone, and not by a little bit.

Edit: to be clear I am referring to normal charging, not when the battery is already fully charged. I will check the fully charged scenario

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #1,297 of 2,179
did somebody try any of the following iems with RU7? Dunu SA6 mk2, KZ PR2, Zetian Wu Heyday, Letshuor S12 Pro, Simphonium Helios? thx
I have received my pair of PR2 today. They sound warmer than my Salnotes Zero with RU7. I have to listen to specific tracks to evaluate soundstage and imaging properly.

I will try them with the line out mode on one of my desktop amps too. Planars like power

Jul 5, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #1,298 of 2,179
Planar M1060C like more than 1 Watt RMS. It is my setup:
RU7 - preamp class A Liquid Spark - ibrid amp Cavalli CTH class A at 9 o'clock is very good.
Usb cable ddHifi Tc09s - Moto smartphone - uapp qobuz - no other.
No Optmize battery for uapp and mtp
AMT drain more watt - iHA-6 soon...

Jul 5, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #1,299 of 2,179
Enjoying my free evening with vintage made in Japan Sony earbuds. Very comfortable sounding, although not the same as CM2000Ti Audio Technica. RU7 does great job with earbuds.
IMG_7094.jpeg

Jul 7, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #1,302 of 2,179
did somebody try any of the following iems with RU7? Dunu SA6 mk2, KZ PR2, Zetian Wu Heyday, Letshuor S12 Pro, Simphonium Helios? thx
Hello, I've had the opportunity to test the RU7 with both the Dunu SA6 mk2 and the Heyday. The Heyday, in my opinion, was significantly improved when paired with the RU7 - the soundstage appeared to expand, creating an enjoyable listening experience across all genres.

However, I can't say I was as fond of the RU7's combination with the SA6 mk2. My disappointment, primarily, stems from the SA6 mk2's overall tonality, especially in the mid-range. The RU7 seems to enhance the tonal attributes of any headphones, for better or worse, and unfortunately with the mk2, the mid-range performance was lacking.

In addition to this, I found the bass didn't extend as much as I would prefer, leading to an overemphasis on the mid-range, and a rather fatiguing listening experience. I hope this feedback is helpful for you.

Jul 8, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #1,303 of 2,179
For those who are still not convinced, RU7 does upsample everything to DSD in real time, including DSD.

What I still don't understand is why DSD64, 128 and 256 sound so different from each other on this particular DAC. On everything other DAC I have tried, the difference from DSD64 and 256 or even 512 for the ones which support it is much less audible.

Are there any digital filters specific for each supported sample rate?

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #1,304 of 2,179
For those who are still not convinced, RU7 does upsample everything to DSD in real time, including DSD.

What I still don't understand is why DSD64, 128 and 256 sound so different from each other on this particular DAC. On everything other DAC I have tried, the difference from DSD64 and 256 or even 512 for the ones which support it is much less audible.

I actually quite like the different sound profiles. DSD64 is smooth and warmish thus works well with Edition XS (XS has strident and sometimes annoying upper treble). DSD 128 works great for neutral stuff (i.e. Sony IER M9, Etymotic) and 256 is great for HD 650. There is probably some DSP trick goin' on

Jul 8, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #1,305 of 2,179

The RU7 is very simple in hardware and software, the circuitry is minimal and there aren't DSP software digital filters, it just doesn't have that capability.

I thought the All-to-DSD topic is well explained already. Let me recap HERE, HERE and HERE.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back