Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Jul 8, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #1,306 of 2,133
How does it pair with the Cayin C9 (via RU7 Line Out)? Is there a noticable contribution when driving easy to drive headphones/iems (i.e. Focal Stellia / Fir Xe6)?

Thanks

Yes, it does, and I have explained this in the C9 thread (HERE).

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 8, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #1,307 of 2,133
Not sure which review it was but they did some measuring and found that yes you get some clipping and/or distortion when feeding the c9 with more than 4V. I confirmed this when using the 4.4 LO in the ifi Gryphon at max output which I think is close to 6V, it was clipping. With the gryphon I’ll set the c9 in pre-amp mode and then adjust volume level on the gryphon, which usually sits at around 60-70 depending on the headphone. The gryphon via line out is a very nice dac for the c9 but I now prefer the ease of using the ru-7.

Did iFi Gryphon offer a 4.4 line out connection? When you said the ifi Gryphon at max output which I think is close to 6V, I check the iFi product page and read the following information:
It has 1,000mW at 32 Ohms. With a whopping max 6.7v output, bring on the high impedance headphones because the Gryphon will not break a sweat driving them.

That sounds like a phone output to me. If you are using a phone output as line out to C9, yes, it will overdrive the circuit but the problem is very different from connecting a 6V Line Out to C9. The problem with the phone out connection is excessive current in the incoming signal. I definitely won't recommend using the LO input mode with C9 in this situation, the Pre-amp input mode is the way to go.

Jul 8, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #1,308 of 2,133
Please correct me if I'm wrong as I don't have much technical knowledge but does the RU7's automatic conversion of all input music to DSD64/128/256 mean that there is no sound quality difference of the same track whether it be streamed either from Tidal MQA or Qobuz Hi-res or Apple Lossless, will it sound the same in any case? (apart from the user selected 64/128/256 option)

Yes, when you stream from Tidal MQA or Qobuz Hi-res or Apple Lossless, the output format will the same, as specified by your menu setting.

However, the same output format is NOT THE SAME as the same audio performance or sound signature. So they can sound different from RU7 if the original audio signal sounds different. A DAC/Amp with adequate transparency should displace the difference noticeably.

Let me give you an example. Different mastering of the same sound in different CD albums can sound different, even when all the CD albums are 16bit/44.1kHz.

Jul 8, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #1,309 of 2,133
Hello, I've had the opportunity to test the RU7 with both the Dunu SA6 mk2 and the Heyday. The Heyday, in my opinion, was significantly improved when paired with the RU7 - the soundstage appeared to expand, creating an enjoyable listening experience across all genres.

However, I can't say I was as fond of the RU7's combination with the SA6 mk2. My disappointment, primarily, stems from the SA6 mk2's overall tonality, especially in the mid-range. The RU7 seems to enhance the tonal attributes of any headphones, for better or worse, and unfortunately with the mk2, the mid-range performance was lacking.

In addition to this, I found the bass didn't extend as much as I would prefer, leading to an overemphasis on the mid-range, and a rather fatiguing listening experience. I hope this feedback is helpful for you.
thank you so much

Jul 8, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #1,311 of 2,133
Yes, when you stream from Tidal MQA or Qobuz Hi-res or Apple Lossless, the output format will the same, as specified by your menu setting.

However, the same output format is NOT THE SAME as the same audio performance or sound signature. So they can sound different from RU7 if the original audio signal sounds different. A DAC/Amp with adequate transparency should displace the difference noticeably.

Let me give you an example. Different mastering of the same sound in different CD albums can sound different, even when all the CD albums are 16bit/44.1kHz.
Thank you Andy for your clear, informative reply, very much appreciated.

Jul 8, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #1,312 of 2,133
For the ones who compared, does a RU7+C9 = N7?? 🧐
Still waiting my RU7. All countries around me having it, but not before 07/18… 🙄

Ah, you have posted a similar question here. I'll copy my answer in the N7 post and modify it to fit your question in this thread.

To answer your question, let's compare the Functional Diagram of Phone Out of N7 to Line Out of RU7, and then we add C9 into the chain. I think that is a good starting point to evaluate the two products from the circuit design level.

N7 vs RU7 (Phone out) Functional Diagram.jpg

The original N7 Functional Diagram is HERE, and the original RU7 Functional Diagram is HERE. I redrawn them with similar layouts so that we can compare them conveniently.

When I wrote the original N7 1-bit DAC explanation, I stated that from "an implementation point of view, the biggest hurdle to implementing R-2R DAC is the extremely demanding precision and temperature tolerance requirements on the resistors. On the other hand, while the 1-Bit DAC technology has relaxed these requirements relatively, it requires a lot of work in noise shaping and is very sensitive to the quality of the power supply", so when we evaluate the quality of 1-bit DAC design/implementation, we should pay attention to these two areas.

The discrete resistor network 1-Bit DACs are the only common points (highlighted in yellow). With N7, the incoming digital audio signal will go through the FPGA for reclocking (with two femtosecond oscillators) and reshaping, and the PCM signal will selectively go through a higher-quality conversion chip handling transcoding and SRC. RU7 will receive the USB bitstream, feed it into the conversion chip, and convert everything to DSD64/128/256 according to the menu setting. Obviously, the N7 offers significantly better D-D pre-processing when compare to RU7.

For your particular question, you want to compare RU7 line out to C9 against the phone out of N7, so let's skip the Line Out and Pre-Out of N7 in this explanation.
N7 has a discrete LPF circuit feeding a pair of line drivers, 4-Channel electronically controlled analog volume, gain control, and finally arrived at the fully balanced fully discrete headphone amplification circuit. The 4.4mm Phone Out is fully differential all the way through, and we convert the balanced signal to a single-ended after the volume control. On the other hand, the RU7 runs on a shared PO/LO circuit, so it will go through the 2-Channel volume and dual amplifier (which is two Op-Amp in parallel). When connecting RU7 to C9, we recommend setting RU7 output to line out, using 4.4mm balanced Line input mode.

Last but not least, the RU7 relies on the power from your USB source, and the power will feed the complete RU7 circuit with minimum regulation. The Power Management of N7 is a very sophisticated low-noise highly-isolated supply circuit to support different functions of digital and analog processing separately. I spend 3 days and a lot of discussion with our Engineer to convert their circuit drawing into a power supply/management functional diagram. For those who were in this hobby long enough, they should all be aware that power supply plays a vital role in the audiophile hobby, and you probably will be surprised that with N7, Cayin spends more dollars (per unit) on the power supply/management function than the complete digital audio circuit.

11993999.jpg

While both N7 and C9 are Class A/AB discrete by design, the C9 is a significantly better amplifier. On the other hand, the digital audio section of N7 is significantly better than the digital audio section of RU7. So there is no clear-cut winner. In my opinion, if IEMs are your main output gears, then I'll recommend N7 because the extra power of C9 becomes less relevant, and the all-in-one N7 is very compact and portable when compared to the mobile device +RU7+C9 package. Alternatively, if you are going to use headphones mainly, and some of your headphones are fairly demanding, then the RU7 + C9 package will handle the full-size headphones better.

For those who are interested in comparing the line out of RU7 against the line out of N7, please check HERE.
The N7 + C9 is definitely the winner set but you didn't ask this combination in your question, so I won't go into details. :beerchug:

Last edited:

Jul 9, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #1,313 of 2,133
So is the general consensus for the Iphone to use all 3 DSD modes with no issues is to buy the ddHiFi MFi07S cable? Been reading all other cables have issues with higher DSD
Yes, I use MFi07s and all works well until now. Just beware that RU7 will drain a lot of battery from your iPhone lol.
RU7 Battery Usage on iPhone 13
DSD64 -> 15-25% per hour based on low/high gain & volume
DSD128 -> 20-30%
DSD256 -> 25-35% (it's really drained 1% of my battery every 2 minutes lol)

Jul 10, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #1,314 of 2,133
Pardon, the last driver RU7 & RU6 (12.4.23) see this:
it is correct ?
Issue with intermittent lack of sounf with windows 10
There is a recent driver for ru7 ?
I see 29.4.2021...

1689024460341.png

Jul 11, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #1,315 of 2,133
Another fantastic setup (for me)
1More Triple Driver modified in large over ear (110mm) with 3D disc and microsuede gel pads
RU7 with 3 level of volume resistor (1-49 / 50-79 / 80-100) is in 3-mode EQ equivalence:
1-49 bass like
50-79 more space for mid and high
80-100 like live event ( Pink Floyd at Venice 1989 for ex.)
Good and superb.

1more over ear 110.jpg

Jul 11, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #1,316 of 2,133
Sorry if this has been asked before: I understand the possible need for ddhifi cables/adapters for use with iphone, but would the ru7 work with the apple camera adapter?
Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 5.41.50 PM.png

I have iphone 14 max pro, and currently use this camera adapter with the dragonfly red. I would like to upgrade to ru7.
I also use the audioquest jitterbug connected before the dac. would that be of any benefit to the ru7?

This would require the usb a to c adapter along with the usb c to usb c cable? that would make a pretty long chain I imagine.
What would be better, getting the cayin usb to lightning cable, or use one of the ddhifi adapters?

Additionally, if anyone has used massdrop x empire ears zeus IEMs, would you feel a better match to ru6 or ru7?
Thanks!

Jul 11, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #1,317 of 2,133
Sorry if this has been asked before: I understand the possible need for ddhifi cables/adapters for use with iphone, but would the ru7 work with the apple camera adapter?
Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 5.41.50 PM.png

I have iphone 14 max pro, and currently use this camera adapter with the dragonfly red. I would like to upgrade to ru7.
I also use the audioquest jitterbug connected before the dac. would that be of any benefit to the ru7?

This would require the usb a to c adapter along with the usb c to usb c cable? that would make a pretty long chain I imagine.
What would be better, getting the cayin usb to lightning cable, or use one of the ddhifi adapters?

Additionally, if anyone has used massdrop x empire ears zeus IEMs, would you feel a better match to ru6 or ru7?
Thanks!
Plug adapter into phone. Connect power lead to lightning port. (Charge first). USB A / C to RU7

Jul 11, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #1,318 of 2,133
Plug adapter into phone. Connect power lead to lightning port. (Charge first). USB A / C to RU7
Charge what first? It's an adapter.
USB A (male) to C (female) adapter, still requires the male C to male C cable to connect to RU7
My question is: will this work: iphone -> apple camera adapter -> cayin USB a to C adapter -> cayin usb c to c cable -> ru7
no external power to the apple camera adapter

if not, then I guess ddhifi adapter would be the best solution, although that would prevent me from using the jitterbug (as its usb a)

Jul 11, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #1,319 of 2,133
Charge what first? It's an adapter.
USB A (male) to C (female) adapter, still requires the male C to male C cable to connect to RU7
My question is: will this work: iphone -> apple camera adapter -> cayin USB a to C adapter -> cayin usb c to c cable -> ru7
no external power to the apple camera adapter

if not, then I guess ddhifi adapter would be the best solution, although that would prevent me from using the jitterbug (as its usb a)
I don’t know another way of explaining how to connect than the way I already have described

Jul 12, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #1,320 of 2,133
I don’t know another way of explaining how to connect than the way I already have described
Well, since the Ru7 has a female usb c port, and the a to c adapter also has a female usb c port, obviously you are missing something.
thanks anyway for your beautiful solution, as I never asked how to connect, I asked if it would work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back