Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Jun 12, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #901 of 2,179
So...let's begin...from the first few listens I can tell that the RU7 really brings to the table perhaps the most complete experience of both the RU6 and the M15, but there is a but. I absolutely disagree with those who say it can replace the RU6 without making you regret anything and this also applies to the M15. For me it is absolutely not like this, and in the end the test is confirming what I thought before trying it... it is perfectly halfway between the M15 and the RU6 with the details of the first (perhaps not all but a good part) and the musicality and sweetness of the second (always a good part but not all).
But beyond that there's more... let's start with the DSD setting 64-128-256 it's like a setting that brings it closer to RU6 (DSD64) or M15 (DSD256) but obviously the balanced one is the one that for now I'm appreciating more and listening. Second aspect, the 400mw are an undeniable plus compared to the other two. If the question about this RU7 is "can it replace them all?" the answer is no, if instead the question is "is it the more balanced one and who won't make the other two feel too much missed" the answer is yes. But I said "too much" not "everything" and here's the difference that is easily worth the expense for the other two. In this world nothing can replace another... talking about the levels we have reached, this speech is even more valid... it's like saying which dap among the RS8, N8II, A&K3000sp, DX320 Max or LP6 can replace all others... the answer is none. If only one dongle is to be had, perhaps the RU7 is the one to go for, but as true as that is, having the RU7 doesn't even remotely make me think of selling one of the other two. Each of these three dongles can be beaten, in one or more aspects by the other two... but beating all three is literally impossible (for me). Let's put it this way... think it's not 3 x 250 euro dongles... think like it's a 750 euro dap... no other dap could beat it even if it's a 5k one. Always my personal opinion.

Jun 12, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #902 of 2,179
From the first listening test I have to say that I did very well to buy 4 dongles instead of the usual dap for thousands of euros and that I invested everything in the Aroma Jewel... I couldn't do better. The RU7 is the full circle, bringing everything I wanted to the table. Within two hours of opening the box it is making the Jewels sound really incredible... I don't imagine after the first 100 hours. For now I have set it to DSD128, so it is connected to the pc so no current problem.
omg, I was not expecting that this IEM costs more than 5000USD. This is crazy amount of money :L3000:

Jun 12, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #903 of 2,179
omg, I was not expecting that this IEM costs more than 5000USD. This is crazy amount of money :L3000:
Connecting a Jewel to a RU6/RU7/M15... gives a much better result than connecting a 250 euro iem to a 5k dap... trust me :wink:

Jun 12, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #904 of 2,179
Connecting a Jewel to a RU6/RU7/M15... gives a much better result than connecting a 250 euro iem to a 5k dap... trust me :wink:
This is true, and connecting a Jewel to a $3000 DAP gives an even better result... But, diminishing returns and all that.

Jun 12, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #905 of 2,179
Another interesting test I just tried with R70x, using RU7 with C9 (solid state output), driving it from PO at volume 100 vs LO. Some people might assume that a shared LO here is just a volume setting at 100. According to Cayin, in LO the volume control is bypassed and the output is set to either 1.2V (3.5mm) or 2.4V (4.4mm).

Under my test conditions, I do hear a noticeable difference. I'm not saying one is better than the other, it will be up to a personal preference, but when switched to LO the sound is more transparent in mids/vocals, while when driving from PO and volume 100, it sounds a bit fuller and colored in tonality, maybe even a bit congested in comparison. I personally don't hear any distortion, and the sound difference could be the artifact of double-amping, which gives more body to the sound. But, you have an option to go either way, with a cleaner more transparent LO or some coloring when driving your external amp from PO.

Also, with either LO or PO at 100, the current draw from my phone was the same.

Jun 12, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #906 of 2,179
This is true, and connecting a Jewel to a $3000 DAP gives an even better result... But, diminishing returns and all that.

... and don't forget the upgraded cable cause Jewel's stock cable is no-go :D

Jun 12, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #908 of 2,179
Another interesting test I just tried with R70x, using RU7 with C9 (solid state output), driving it from PO at volume 100 vs LO. Some people might assume that a shared LO here is just a volume setting at 100. According to Cayin, in LO the volume control is bypassed and the output is set to either 1.2V (3.5mm) or 2.4V (4.4mm).

Under my test conditions, I do hear a noticeable difference. I'm not saying one is better than the other, it will be up to a personal preference, but when switched to LO the sound is more transparent in mids/vocals, while when driving from PO and volume 100, it sounds a bit fuller and colored in tonality, maybe even a bit congested in comparison. I personally don't hear any distortion, and the sound difference could be the artifact of double-amping, which gives more body to the sound. But, you have an option to go either way, with a cleaner more transparent LO or some coloring when driving your external amp from PO.

I don't know if it also applies to the RU7, but for the RU6 Andykorg recommended a volume above 70 and below 90, I set it at 76 and it seemed very dynamic to me, but without picking up too much noise. But it is possible that for the RU7 it is different. @twister6, if you like, since you can try it with the C9, see if 76 volume would be the right setting for the RU7 as well. :wink:

Jun 12, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #909 of 2,179
... and don't forget the upgraded cable cause Jewel's stock cable is no-go :D
Luckily when I got the Jewel from Musicteck there was the First Times offer at 500 euros against the 2500 it costs. Of course I took advantage of it. :wink:

Jun 12, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #910 of 2,179

Same thoughts with R70X (I had conveyed this in an earlier post). I think Andy mentioned in his line out related post that they wanted to retain dynamics and clarity of the music and had chosen 2.4V and 1.2V as the optimum voltage level for RU7.

I believe using RU7 LO is a better choice and I am able to have enough headroom with C9 - no problems whatsoever.

Jun 12, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #912 of 2,179
Hello guys. 3 days ago I received my RU7 which I ordered from a factory store in AE. Thanks to the Cayin team for the quick shipment of the device. Here are my first impressions (without burning) of the RU6.
I listen from macbook with iem Kinera urd.
The sound is more technical, more detailed, the sound is smoother. Large track space The edges of the frequency range are wider and better defined. More power. Nor does RU7 replace the magic RU6 gives the vocalist. At the same time, I am fascinated by the all-in-256 mode :)
1686601856716.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #913 of 2,179
Has anyone compared the LO into a more powerful amp vs other dongles? KA5 or others?

Jun 12, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #914 of 2,179
Hello guys. 3 days ago I received my RU7 which I ordered from a factory store in AE. Thanks to the Cayin team for the quick shipment of the device. Here are my first impressions (without burning) of the RU6.
I listen from macbook with iem Kinera urd.
The sound is more technical, more detailed, the sound is smoother. Large track space The edges of the frequency range are wider and better defined. More power. Nor does RU7 replace the magic RU6 gives the vocalist. At the same time, I am fascinated by the all-in-256 mode :)

Sorry, but I'm not 100% sure that I understood. When you say "The sound is more technical, more detailed, the sound is smoother" are you talking about the RU6? So looks like it is better than RU7?

Jun 12, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #915 of 2,179
Auralic Vega DAC does not even switch into higher precision FEMTO clock mode until 1 hour of run in.

I remember that DAC and I recall it being noticeably better after one hour. I'm sure that it holds strong even today in comparison to other similarly priced DACs. Enjoy!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back