Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Jun 11, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #887 of 2,224
QFT, my Auralic Vega DAC does not even switch into higher precision FEMTO clock mode until 1 hour of run in. All SS amps I have owned also show subpar performance until fully warmed up. But just like you said it's not a permanent effect, just a cycle that happens on every cold startup that has nothing to do with the dreaded "burn in".
THIS👆🏼 I'm curious as to how a test tone would measure after this things been running warm (helped by switching up to 256 all to DSD) across all rates vs cold.

In the end, I think it's really cool Cayin has built 1-bit and R2R dongles in a world of ESS/Cirrus offerings.

Jun 11, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #888 of 2,224
Balanced. Tried a bunch of cables including one ddhifi one. Same cables have no interference with the ibasso dc04 pro.
Did you have it folded back against your phone? I get that with the RU6 but nothing when on wifi or as far away as the included usb cable.

It's the shielding (or lack thereof) of the unit, not necessarily the cable being an antenna for 5g frequencies.

Jun 11, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #889 of 2,224
Thanks! Hopefully i'll be able to try it soon. Does it have a good end-to-end extension? So far i didn't find any usb c powered dongles (except the Questyle M15 maybe) that bring out the sub-bass in the HD650.

IMHO, the RU7 is a warmish dongle with some roll off in the upper treble and a bass boost. I think the M15 has a bit more treble extension in this regard.

Jun 12, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #890 of 2,224
I mentioned above I'd offer a comparison between DC04pro and RU7 once the latter had 100+ hours of burn in. Here it is. Settings first. Both are being fed Qobuz 16/44.1 flac through UAPP. The DC04Pro is medium gain, turbo and slow roll off filter. The RU7 is set to low gain and DSD64 (there are so many potential variables there that I've just stuck to my preferences based on the way I would use a dongle out and about). For the test I used Sennheiser IE900 IEMs.

First thing to say is that any differences are small and largely follow the line in other reviews above. The RU7 has better clarity, separation and dynamics and slightly sweeter vocals (not totally sure about that last one), the DC04 has better note weight. low end and instrumental timbre. RU7 definitely has an advantage with classical music where the wide soundstage is a marvel. The width/separation across the soundstage also gives something different to acoustic folk. With rock there's not as much difference, but perhaps the DC04pro's more present bass adds something, whereas the RU7 doesn't quite have the note weight. The the DC04pro can get just a touch congested which is less apparent with the RU7. RU7 can exhibit a bit of interference; the DC04pro exhibits no interference. For what it's worth, the DC04pro is (IMHO) still the best pound for pound dongle, but at a higher price point the RU7 does offer something quite different (YMMV). Nice to have both.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #891 of 2,224
I mentioned above I'd offer a comparison between DC04pro and RU7 once the latter had 100+ hours of burn in. Here it is. Settings first. Both are being fed Qobuz 16/44.1 flac through UAPP. The DC04Pro is medium gain, turbo and slow roll off filter. The RU7 is set to low gain and DSD64 (there are so many potential variables there that I've just stuck to my preferences based on the way I would use a dongle out and about). For the test I used Sennheiser IE900 IEMs.

First thing to say is that any differences are small and largely follow the line in other reviews above. The RU7 has better clarity, separation and dynamics and slightly sweeter vocals (not totally sure about that last one), the DC04 has better note weight. low end and instrumental timbre. RU7 definitely has the advantage with classical music where the wide soundstage is a marvel. The width/separation across the soundstage also gives something different to acoustic folk. With rock there's not as much difference, but perhaps the DC04pro's more present bass adds something, whereas the RU7 doesn't quite have the note weight. The the DC04pro can get just a touch congested which is less apparent with the RU7. RU7 can exhibit a bit of interference; the DC04pro exhibits no interference. For what it's worth, the DC04pro is (IMHO) still the best pound for pound dongle, but at a higher price point the RU7 does offer something quite different (YMMV). Nice to have both.
thats the comparison i was lookin for. Thanks @dgjl 🙌

Jun 12, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #892 of 2,224
collezione.jpg

Collection complete... now let's start listening to the RU7 and impressions will follow...

Jun 12, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #893 of 2,224
The first thing I noticed is that in Foobar2000 unlike the RU6 the ASIO mode is not available but only the WASAPI one... is that the case for you too?

Jun 12, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #894 of 2,224
From the first listening test I have to say that I did very well to buy 4 dongles instead of the usual dap for thousands of euros and that I invested everything in the Aroma Jewel... I couldn't do better. The RU7 is the full circle, bringing everything I wanted to the table. Within two hours of opening the box it is making the Jewels sound really incredible... I don't imagine after the first 100 hours. For now I have set it to DSD128, so it is connected to the pc so no current problem.

Jun 12, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #895 of 2,224
After some >50 hours, found dsd128, best of all other options for most of my gerns.

dsd64, sounds a bit too muffled.
dsd256, sounds a bit too airy.

Mostly listening to 44.1/48 khz Flac, Roon Arc (lossless) with Fir Xe6 iems and (occasionally) with Focal Stellia, at high gain.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #897 of 2,224
Honestly, there's one thing I don't understand... the 400mw compared to the 215mw of the RU6 doesn't seem much more in the road test... maybe it's just my impression, but I only notice that it heats up but the volume at which I listen to it is not much less than the one set on the RU6. Yet the pc is the same, Foobar is the same and the Jewels are still them... I don't think this is affected by burn-in or am I wrong?

Jun 12, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #898 of 2,224
Honestly, there's one thing I don't understand... the 400mw compared to the 215mw of the RU6 doesn't seem much more in the road test... maybe it's just my impression, but I only notice that it heats up but the volume at which I listen to it is not much less than the one set on the RU6. Yet the pc is the same, Foobar is the same and the Jewels are still them... I don't think this is affected by burn-in or am I wrong?

If you are pairing easy to drive transducers with the RU7, then the extra power on tap may not be that important. The Aroma Jewel is easy to drive at impedance 22Ω and sensitivity of 103 dB.

But try pairing something with high impedance or low sensitivity, then the extra power of the RU7 comes into play. It is not a matter of volume, but more that hard to drive gear gets flabby in the bass, and you lose soundstage and dynamics too when these hard to drive stuff are underpowered.

Jun 12, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #899 of 2,224
If you are pairing easy to drive transducers with the RU7, then the extra power on tap may not be that important. The Aroma Jewel is easy to drive at impedance 22Ω and sensitivity of 103 dB.

But try pairing something with high impedance or low sensitivity, then the extra power of the RU7 comes into play. It is not a matter of volume, but more that hard to drive gear gets flabby in the bass, and you lose soundstage and dynamics too when these hard to drive stuff are underpowered.
now everything is clearer to me... it seemed a bit strange to me... I'll have to try with the HD6xx... or with the HD800S but perhaps the latter are looking for something even more powerful...

Jun 12, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #900 of 2,224
now everything is clearer to me... it seemed a bit strange to me... I'll have to try with the HD6xx... or with the HD800S but perhaps the latter are looking for something even more powerful...

Yes, definitely, please try it.

As an example while using my hardest to drive R70x (470ohm, 99dB sensitivity), with RU6 in high gain from 4.4mm I'm listening at volume 60 and it sounds OK, smooth, warmer, laidback tonality. Then, switching to RU7 in high gain from 4.4mm at volume 56, and there is a noticeable transformation. I'm not talking about the sound signature alone, but the actual technical performance where I can hear these open cans being driven to their fuller potential. Can't say they are driven to their "fullest" because I'm sure a desktop amp or even a portable powerful amp like C9 can drive it better, but there is a noticeable difference between RU6 and RU7 driving R70x. Expanded vertical dynamics and improved layering with RU7 makes RU6 with R70x sound more compressed in comparison. Also, with RU7, I hear a more holographic soundstage with 3D imaging. The bass is tighter and mids have more clarity as well. With IEMs, like Jewel and others, it's not an issue with either dongles, but for something as hard to drive as R70x, pair up with RU7 makes a lot more sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back