Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Jun 12, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #916 of 2,224
Sorry, guys, but do you also get RU7 very hot during use? It's normal? The RU6 did not reach these temperatures...

Jun 12, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #918 of 2,224
Definitely warm (I use it in 128 bit mode), but I would not describe it as hot…
with the phone not so much but connected to the pc it seems like a heater... the RU6 didn't do it so much... and the M15 is practically cold... it's really doing the burn-in
lol

Jun 12, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #919 of 2,224
with the phone not so much but connected to the pc it seems like a heater... the RU6 didn't do it so much... and the M15 is practically cold...
Yeah, I’ve only used the RU7 with my phone (S22U). I’ll see if I can try it on my computer.

Jun 12, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #920 of 2,224
Yeah, I’ve only used the RU7 with my phone (S22U). I’ll see if I can try it on my computer.
Could you tell me what do you think of the RU7 compared to the Hiby R6 Pro II ?

Jun 12, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #921 of 2,224
Got a shipping notification for my RU7! I’m looking forward to testing it out after reading the (mostly) positive feedback!

Jun 12, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #922 of 2,224
Could you tell me what do you think of the RU7 compared to the Hiby R6 Pro II ?
Could we please stop trying to compare Dongles against Digital Audio Players (DAP) ?

Dongles dont have the same room like DAPs (similarly DAPs are not having room as desktop systems) to accomodate higher fidelity amplification circuits. Also, not every DAP is built the same way. If you like to carry your phone around more and not carry another brick like item, then go with dongles. If you like to have a dedicated device to listen to music without anything hanging off your phone USB-C, go with DAP. If you have money, you can buy both. :)

Jun 12, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #923 of 2,224
Could we please stop trying to compare Dongles against Digital Audio Players (DAP) ?

Dongles dont have the same room like DAPs (similarly DAPs are not having room as desktop systems) to accomodate higher fidelity amplification circuits. Also, not every DAP is built the same way. If you like to carry your phone around more and not carry another brick like item, then go with dongles. If you like to have a dedicated device to listen to music without anything hanging off your phone USB-C, go with DAP. If you have money, you can buy both. :)
I would be inclined to agree that the comparison between the two would be apples to oranges but I don't feel there is much harm in asking about a comparison on generalities related to sound signatures between the two.

Understandably the technologies implemented and the scale at which they are implemented are very different but general advice regarding tonality may be enough to sway the person who asked the question to buy or not buy.

Jun 12, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #925 of 2,224

I certainly can understand the frustration this may cause, but I really don’t see this request as a “which is better” kind of question (though some in various threads do that sort of comparison). I believe it is a relevant question in case someone who has one item is interested in purchasing another item if the comparisons point out sufficient difference to warrant.

FWIW, when I had the original R6 Pro I would occasionally pair it with a dongle just to shake things up a bit :)

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #926 of 2,224
I would be inclined to agree that the comparison between the two would be apples to oranges but I don't feel there is much harm in asking about a comparison on generalities related to sound signatures between the two.

Understandably the technologies implemented and the scale at which they are implemented are very different but general advice regarding tonality may be enough to sway the person who asked the question to buy or not buy.
I should have been more clear and your statement is something I would agree with on tonal differences (warm, neutral, bright..)

In terms of technicality, I do find dongles with portable amplifiers like C9, can make them compete or even blow some of the mid tier DAPs out of the water. But dongles by themselves are still a work in progress in terms of achieving mid tier DAP (say something that costs $750 or more) level technicalities.

Jun 12, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #927 of 2,224
I should have been more clear and your statement is something I would agree with on tonal differences (warm, neutral, bright..)

In terms of technicality, I do find dongles with portable amplifiers like C9, can make them compete or even blow some of the mid tier DAPs out of the water. But dongles by themselves are still a work in progress in terms of achieving mid tier DAP (say something that costs $750 or more) level technicalities.
I would suggest thinking about it slightly differently. A comparison between a $300 dongle and an $800 DAP is unfair… it is unfair to the DAP :)

In that budget the DAP has to have the DAC components and amplifier circuitry, along with a large screen, storage, memory, CPU, wireless capability, large battery, physical housing, significant software investment, etc….

The dongle on the other hand has the DAC components and amplifier circuitry, with (sometimes) a tiny low res screen, small body, and very limited software… The dongle takes advantage of all that other stuff in the phone - basically the dongle gets a free ride :)

Jun 12, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #928 of 2,224
I mentioned above I'd offer a comparison between DC04pro and RU7 once the latter had 100+ hours of burn in. Here it is. Settings first. Both are being fed Qobuz 16/44.1 flac through UAPP. The DC04Pro is medium gain, turbo and slow roll off filter. The RU7 is set to low gain and DSD64 (there are so many potential variables there that I've just stuck to my preferences based on the way I would use a dongle out and about). For the test I used Sennheiser IE900 IEMs.

First thing to say is that any differences are small and largely follow the line in other reviews above. The RU7 has better clarity, separation and dynamics and slightly sweeter vocals (not totally sure about that last one), the DC04 has better note weight. low end and instrumental timbre. RU7 definitely has an advantage with classical music where the wide soundstage is a marvel. The width/separation across the soundstage also gives something different to acoustic folk. With rock there's not as much difference, but perhaps the DC04pro's more present bass adds something, whereas the RU7 doesn't quite have the note weight. The the DC04pro can get just a touch congested which is less apparent with the RU7. RU7 can exhibit a bit of interference; the DC04pro exhibits no interference. For what it's worth, the DC04pro is (IMHO) still the best pound for pound dongle, but at a higher price point the RU7 does offer something quite different (YMMV). Nice to have both.
Any point getting a DC04pro for use with an Iphone? as far as I can tell there's no app for it to change the settings?

Jun 12, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #929 of 2,224
Any point getting a DC04pro for use with an Iphone? as far as I can tell there's no app for it to change the settings?
I'd say there is still a point to getting it but if you're concerned about those elements I would potentially recommend the KA5 with its little LED screen allowing you to make adjustments on the dongle itself.

The DC04Pro with an iPhone (as I understand) defaults to the first filter, eco mode off and turbo on. The filters change sound somewhat but whether it is material enough to warrant not purchasing it is another thing.

I use a DC04Pro and the only setting that I play around with is the gain settings.

Jun 12, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #930 of 2,224
SpectrumRUx.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back