Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Jun 6, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #706 of 2,179
Yes, we can do that with DAP, because we have a MCU to process rule-based instruction after input data analysis.

With RU7 and RU6, the so-called MCU is only responsible for collecting control button action and feeding back a signal to the LED screen. There isn't any feedback-based (or IF-THEN-ELSE condition) user setting in these devices, we assume your mobile phone is responsible for all the brain work.

If you want a smart-device user experience, maybe you should consider a DAP instead.
So can I understand that if we want that feature, you will need to increase the size and power consumption to implement it on another MCU, right?

Jun 6, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #707 of 2,179
So can I understand that if we want that feature, you will need to increase the size and power consumption to implement it on another MCU, right?

I am saying that is not an option available to Dongle DAC, not even when we double the dimension and weight of DAC by 100%, or cut corners on the amplifier to allow more power for MCU. For this category of product, we assume your mobile phone is responsible for all the brain work.

Please be reminded that the power supply of Dongle DAC is a zero-sum game, when you allocate more power to MCU, you need to allocate less power to other subsystems such as DAC or analog amplifier.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 6, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #708 of 2,179
I am saying that is not an option available to Dongle DAC, not even when we double the dimension and weight of DAC by 100%, or cut corners on the amplifier to allow more power for MCU. For this category of product, we assume your mobile phone is responsible for all the brain work.

Please be reminded that the power supply of Dongle DAC is a zero-sum game, when you allocate more power to MCU, you need to allocate less power to other subsystems such as DAC or analog amplifier.
Understood, thanks for your explanation :ksc75smile:

Jun 6, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #709 of 2,179

... basically less superfluous features... more audio quality.
It's fine with me. :wink:

Jun 6, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #710 of 2,179
... basically less superfluous features... more audio quality.
It's fine with me. :wink:

Well, we are a provider, we offer options, and let customers pick what they want. Some users value user experience, other users want an all-in-one, we don't have any preference, we provide.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 6, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #711 of 2,179
Well, we are a provider, we offer options, and let customers pick what they want. Some users value user experience, other users want an all-in-one, we don't have any preference, we provide.
Just as I don't miss the M15's volume control or display, I don't miss the RU6's who knows how many selectable filters to take away from its "old school" analog sound that I love. I compromise on everything except the audio quality, which I now find very satisfactory in these dongles. Then, I understand that everyone has their priorities, but these are mine and they are fully respected by the audio quality present in these dongles. The less is more...

Jun 6, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #712 of 2,179
Yes, it is the reason that I state that this feature should be "user-choosable" to let the user decide on each circumstance, I think it is a useful feature ...

I think it's already "user-choosable" based on options you (as a user) are provided with, right? What Andy described above, regarding dsd 64/128/256, is his personal preference depending on pair up synergy with different earphones/headphones and their baseline tuning.

Everybody will have their own preference, RU7 offers up-sampling options, and as a user you/we have a choice what to pick. But automating this choice is the whole other thing where a dongle by itself is limited due to simplified design down to only dac/amp sound processing :)

Jun 6, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #713 of 2,179
Regarding DSD64 vs DSD128 vs DSD256, I won't assume the higher conversion is always the better. The upscaling involves an interpolation algorithm, which means they might enhance the sharpness and sense of resolution, but might compromise the naturalness of the playback. I personally prefer DSD64 with regular 44.1/48 material and DSD128 with 88.2/96 material, in other words, I am a believer of less is more when come to upscaling.
So if you apply 64DSD to an 88.2/96 song, instead of upsampling it does it downsample? Or did I not understand anything as usual? lol

Jun 6, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #715 of 2,179
then it just 'samples'

...no you're right it will downsample since 88/96 holds more information than DSD64
wait before celebrating... anyway I know that now comes Andy and tells me that it is not so... lol

Jun 6, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #716 of 2,179
PSX_20230606_225809.jpg

Jun 6, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #717 of 2,179
Waiting for a review W4/RU7. :smirk: although it is clear, that these are absolutely different things...
Why do you keep QLS MC01 and Shanling UA5 are they worthy of attention? they are nothing, no emotions... At least that's what it seemed to me, I couldn't stay with them for more than two days))) or are you just collecting them? :relieved:

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #718 of 2,179
Waiting for a review W4/RU7. :smirk: although it is clear, that these are absolutely different things...
Why do you keep QLS MC01 and Shanling UA5 are they worthy of attention? they are nothing, no emotions... At least that's what it seemed to me, I couldn't stay with them for more than two days))) or are you just collecting them? :relieved:

"nothing" and "no emotion" is your opinion, not mine.

Besides, I do keep every audio gears I buy.

Jun 6, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #719 of 2,179
Any thoughts on an OG Chord Mojo vs. RU7 comparison?

I love the Mojo, but would appreciate the smaller package of the RU7. My most used IEMs are Audeze LCD-i3 and JVC HA-FX750, and I listen to most any genre except classical. I also value soundstage a lot (and would like to improve on the Mojo's sound stage).

Jun 6, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #720 of 2,179

Users who are viewing this thread

Back