Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Jun 1, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #526 of 2,179
Is topping g5 portable amp a good pair with RU7?

Haven't heard G5 other than a quick audition in Show condition, so I am not familiar with this amplifier. Besides, this is not a good idea for me to comment on other brands, sorry.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 1, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #527 of 2,179
Is topping g5 portable amp a good pair with RU7?
If it's anything like the NX7 it should work well. I tried it with the RU6 with decent results. I'm sure the shared 4.4mm output on the Ru7 will work better than what we had on the RU6. For me personally, the NX7 added some strident charecteristics to the sound when paired with some DACs (RS2, M15...) but YMMV.

Jun 1, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #528 of 2,179
Wander what I am doing here .... :sweat_smile:
I should have encouraged users, reviewers, and potential buyers to rave about the RU7, but right now I am spending a lot of resources cooling down positive opinions, I am not doing my job properly. :ksc75smile:
Do you know why this happens to you?
Why while you're replying to us you're not listening to Pink Floyd's Welcome to the machine... like i'm doing...
:wink:

Jun 1, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #529 of 2,179
but would it be economically smart for a manufacturer to release $289 dongle that going to kill sales of their $2k co-flagship DAP? Just saying, RU7 is not going to be the end of N7 :wink: Instead, it's a great alternative when you don't want to carry standalone DAP :)
Greetings to all participants!
Of course, dear twister6, your conclusion is logical. But let's imagine a hypothetical situation. The pastry chef who baked a wedding cake to the taste of the customer, can bake a mini cake from the leftover ingredients to your taste and you may like it much more. (I believe in the enthusiasm of Cayin engineers) I compared my RU6 and N6II R01 and I did not even have the slightest desire to have this DAP. I ordered the RU7 from AE and I think it will be a great match for my RU6.
Please don't judge me harshly. We can always match BOOMBOX and audio device on discrete components (e.g. dCS):relieved:

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #530 of 2,179
Greetings to all participants!
Of course, dear twister6, your conclusion is logical. But let's imagine a hypothetical situation. The pastry chef who baked a wedding cake to the taste of the customer, can bake a mini cake from the leftover ingredients to your taste and you may like it much more. (I believe in the enthusiasm of Cayin engineers) I compared my RU6 and N6II R01 and I did not even have the slightest desire to have this DAP. I ordered the RU7 from AE and I think it will be a great match for my RU6.
Please don't judge me harshly. We can always match BOOMBOX and audio device on discrete components (e.g. dCS):relieved:
Had the same feelings about Ru6/N6 r01👍👍👍

Jun 1, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #531 of 2,179
Guys I tell you ... here we risk another telling-off... lol

Jun 1, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #534 of 2,179
iPad - a lot bigger battery, wifi, less frequent use vs iPhone - smaller battery, wifi and 5G, more frequent use. You see where I'm going with this...

I think the EU has already sent Apple a warning that any attempts to circumvent their ruling with a Mfi usb restriction will lead to a complete iPhone ban in Europe. I think that Mfi battle is lost at this point.

Jun 1, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #535 of 2,179
Ensure your lightning to usb cable is rated for 5 volt swings.

DSD 128 doesn’t cause issues on my lowly iPhone XS. I can even use DSD256 with no issues on low impedance IEMs. No pops/cracks between songs either, but on higher impedance impedance IEM (40 ohm) I do get the occasional crack when skipping songs or adjusting volume with DSD256, otherwise DSD128 has been flawless.

I have a corporate iPhone 13pro, I will add the Amazon app and see how RU7 is handled on a newer iPhone.

Following up on my earlier post. Tried the same IEM on the 13pro with DSD256 and RU7 had no issues. Seems that iOS may be throttling battery output on older phones or whenever the battery health is outside acceptable threshold.

Jun 1, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #536 of 2,179
Following up on my earlier post. Tried the same IEM on the 13pro with DSD256 and RU7 had no issues. Seems that iOS may be throttling battery output on older phones or whenever the battery health is outside acceptable threshold.
I have max 6-7hrs life on my pro max12, will change sometime soon, but need to get to the Apple Store on Lincoln Sq…
Didn’t notice any pops🙇‍♂️ on windows sometime - yes

Jun 1, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #537 of 2,179
My RU7 arrived today from MusicTeck.
I've had it connected this way tonight:

PC [USB-A to USB-C] -> [USB-C] RU7 DAC (All to DSD64, Low Gain, Line Out) [4.4mm] -> [4.4mm] KAEI TAP-1S Tube-Hybrid Amp [4.4mm / 2.5mm adapter] -> [2.5mm modded cable] Monolith M1070 Open Back Planar Headphones

Watching YouTube Videos, and it sounds good with the non-critical listening tonight.
My RU6 is connected to the PC at work, so I don't have them both here to compare.
I will take the RU7 to work tomorrow, but I think we're going to be very busy - so I may not be able to compare them, until I bring both home on the weekend.

At work, I have several other "small" DACs that can be connected to the PC:
HiFivv SU2A DAC - ESS ES9038Q2M & XMOS U308 (32-Bit/384-KHz) [Modded: Sparkos SS3602 Dual Discrete Op-amp]
TempoTec Sonata BHD - USB DAC/Amp Dongle w/Volume Buttons - 2x Cirrus Logic CS43131 (32-Bit/384-KHz)

Jun 1, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #538 of 2,179
How would this compare to something like a Questyle M15 or similar? Plan to use it with my Iphone, mainly IEMs and sometimes Sennheiser HD650. Just want a nice neutral/slightly warm sound and decent soundstage and good performance out of both 3.5/4.4

Jun 1, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #539 of 2,179
I frankly can imagine how this little dongle can work well with headphones, for me portable dac amp is essentially a portable device to take on the go with iems/earbuds, I will try my HD650 which I still have somewhere and Denon ah d7100 that I listed for sale and still have.
Dongles can’t give the crucial power for hungry headphones, but that’s my thinking.

Jun 1, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #540 of 2,179
The demise of DAPs has been declared more than once…
A dongle does a lot less things than what a DAP does, so they won't be replaced by dongles. DAPs seem to be their own unique thing, without competition, and seem to be doing just fine. (not that I would use/buy one, while having a phone already)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back