Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Jun 1, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #511 of 2,229
The beauty of dongles (for me) is being able to experience 10 sound signatures for the price of not even a dap top. I don't see losing 5%/10% from the corresponding dap as an insurmountable problem, in addition to the fact that, once we have found the sound signature we like most, we can buy the relative dap without having any nasty surprises. Besides this a dongle will never suffer from old age (battery-screen-operating system).

Jun 1, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #512 of 2,229
The beauty of dongles (for me) is being able to experience 10 sound signatures for the price of not even a dap top. I don't see losing 5%/10% from the corresponding dap as an insurmountable problem, in addition to the fact that, once we have found the sound signature we like most, we can buy the relative dap without having any nasty surprises. Besides this a dongle will never suffer from old age (battery-screen-operating system).

Maybe it is 5% or 10% to you, but the difference can be 30% or 50% to others, it all depends on your transducer and the way you use it. Glad you find the pattern you prefer.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 1, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #513 of 2,229
Maybe it is 5% or 10% to you, but the difference can be 30% or 50% to others, it all depends on your transducer and the way you use it. Glad you find the pattern you prefer.
Since obviously the perception we have varies from person to person... can I ask you a question? How much do you think a RU6 would be behind an N6II-R01 in percentage net of driving power... am I talking only in relation to sound quality?

Jun 1, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #514 of 2,229
Everything is right. if you really want to invest money somewhere, it's better to buy a portable amplifier instead of a DAP. for example Cayin C9 :beyersmile:
for example, I do not hear the difference between a DAP for 500$ and for 2000$ in general, all this is relative... it is better to invest as much as possible in an amplifier, then it will be impossible not to hear the difference. DAP is more about convenience and not about sound... it is the amplifier that is the most important link, there is still little room in the DAP for full implementation.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #515 of 2,229
Everything is right. if you really want to invest money somewhere, it's better to buy a portable amplifier instead of a DAP. for example Cayin C9 :beyersmile:
for example, I do not hear the difference between a DAP for 500$ and for 2000$ in general, all this is relative... it is better to invest as much as possible in an amplifier, then it will be impossible not to hear the difference. DAP is more about convenience and not about sound... it is the amplifier that is the most important link, there is still little room in the DAP for full implementation.
here... there's one thing I never understood...
We know that manufacturers make an effort on every type of TOTL dap to invent amplification systems of all kinds, types and powers (I only have the MAX of that type) spending a lot of resources and making the cost rise a lot to produce ever better amplifiers , think of the various Cayin N8II, Hiby RS8, A&K3000, Fiio M17, iBasso DX320 MAX, L&P LP6 etc... etc... Now my question... between an amplification of these TOTL dap and the use let's say of a dedicated amplifier like a C9 what's the difference? Given that the use of daps, at least for me, is mainly with the adoption of iems (albeit very expensive like my Jewels) but which really need power in the order of milliwatts to play, there is something redundant. .. is the amplification from the dap or an external amplifier?
In a nutshell... is the amplification of an N8II or that of a C9 better? Assuming the answer is... that of the C9... how does listening to the Jewels through the N8II's amplifier compare to the amplification of a C9? Is it really a difference between night and day? Thank you if you want to clarify my ideas.

Jun 1, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #516 of 2,229
We know that manufacturers make an effort on every type of TOTL dap to invent amplification systems of all kinds, types and powers (I only have the MAX of that type) spending a lot of resources and making the cost rise a lot to produce ever better amplifiers , think of the various Cayin N8II, Hiby RS8, A&K3000, Fiio M17, iBasso DX320 MAX, L&P LP6 etc... etc... Now my question... between an amplification of these TOTL dap and the use let's say of a dedicated amplifier like a C9 what's the difference? Given that the use of daps, at least for me, is mainly with the adoption of iems (albeit very expensive like my Jewels) but which really need power in the order of milliwatts to play, there is something redundant. .. is the amplification from the dap or an external amplifier?
In a nutshell... is the amplification of an N8II or that of a C9 better? Assuming the answer is... that of the C9... how does listening to the Jewels through the N8II's amplifier compare to the amplification of a C9? Is it really a difference between night and day? Thank you if you want to clarify my ideas.
C9 was as an example.
Well, with these players, it may not be so sad, of course, only the HiBy RS8 in my opinion is worthy of attention :)
I just rather expressed myself incorrectly, I am against DAP of certain price categories, they are not much better than dongles...

Jun 1, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #517 of 2,229
RU7 LO to ZenCAN amp provides a good synergy. Haven't listened for long as still early days, but the soundstage capabilities are further enhanced with planars. This LO feature is excellent, so glad Cayin took this feedback on board from the RU6. No hissing or static as you crank the amp volume up either when connected via 4.4 balanced cable. Will be interesting to listen more carefully for longer to compare the RU7[LO]>>ZenCAN to EF400>>ZenCAN. First impressions are that this comparison will be a close one. Full credit to the RU7.

Jun 1, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #518 of 2,229
C9 was as an example.
Well, with these players, it may not be so sad, of course, only the HiBy RS8 in my opinion is worthy of attention :)
I just rather expressed myself incorrectly, I am against DAP of certain price categories, they are not much better than dongles...
Instead, I think you expressed yourself very well :wink:
and in fact my question was posed to everyone... what do I spend $3k/5k doing for each dap... what if a $2k amp beats them all?
Here... of course... dongles come into play... :wink:

Jun 1, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #519 of 2,229
Since obviously the perception we have varies from person to person... can I ask you a question? How much do you think a RU6 would be behind an N6II-R01 in percentage net of driving power... am I talking only in relation to sound quality?

Apparently, you couldn't understand the reasoning in my previous response.

I am totally against the concept to QUANTIFY a personal experience and then generalize it to industrial-wise discussion. That's why I said 5% or 10% to you can be 30% or 50% to others. There are a lot of things you can't quantify into hard figures, and sound quality definitely is one of them. At the end of the day, my perception of RU7 sound quality vs R01 sound quality is an opinion, nothing less and nothing more, and you cannot generalize a quantitative opinion.

Jun 1, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #520 of 2,229

Why powerful amplifier for sensitive IEM?

Jun 1, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #521 of 2,229

I am totally against the concept to QUANTIFY a personal experience and then generalize it to industrial-wise discussion. That's why I said 5% or 10% to you can be 30% or 50% to others. There are a lot of things you can't quantify into hard figures, and sound quality definitely is one of them. At the end of the day, my perception of RU7 sound quality vs R01 sound quality is an opinion, nothing less and nothing more, and you cannot generalize a quantitative opinion.
Now everything is clearer to me, thanks.

Jun 1, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #522 of 2,229

Wanted to chime in on R01 N6ii Ti that I had up until this spring:
IMG_9881.jpeg

it’s different, very different even from ru6:
IMG_9910.jpeg

And RU7 is another level from RU6 sonically.

Jun 1, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #523 of 2,229
RU7 LO to ZenCAN amp provides a good synergy. Haven't listened for long as still early days, but the soundstage capabilities are further enhanced with planars. This LO feature is excellent, so glad Cayin took this feedback on board from the RU6. No hissing or static as you crank the amp volume up either when connected via 4.4 balanced cable. Will be interesting to listen more carefully for longer to compare the RU7[LO]>>ZenCAN to EF400>>ZenCAN. First impressions are that this comparison will be a close one. Full credit to the RU7.

I want to point out that the rated output level of RU7 line out is fairly low, 1.2V for single-ended, 2.4V for balanced. This is like 40% cut below the defacto standard of 2V/4V. or 60% cut from some of the modern High-end DAC that delivers 3V single-ended and 6V Balanced line out.

We tuned the line out to a much lower-than-average rating to minimize noise, which explained why "no hissing or static as you crank the amp volume up either when connected via 4.4 balanced cable". Unfortunately, this will affect the dynamic of the music, and the sound is not as rich or full-bodied when compare to standard line out. I have discussed the quality of RU7 line out HERE, so I am not going to repeat myself.

Jun 1, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #524 of 2,229
Wander what I am doing here .... :sweat_smile:
I should have encouraged users, reviewers, and potential buyers to rave about the RU7, but right now I am spending a lot of resources cooling down positive opinions, I am not doing my job properly. :ksc75smile:

Jun 1, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #525 of 2,229
I want to point out that the rated output level of RU7 line out is fairly low, 1.2V for single-ended, 2.4V for balanced. This is like 40% cut below the defacto standard of 2V/4V. or 60% cut from some of the modern High-end DAC that delivers 3V single-ended and 6V Balanced line out.

We tuned the line out to a much lower-than-average rating to minimize noise, which explained why "no hissing or static as you crank the amp volume up either when connected via 4.4 balanced cable". Unfortunately, this will affect the dynamic of the music, and the sound is not as rich or full-bodied when compare to standard line out. I have discussed the quality of RU7 line out HERE, so I am not going to repeat myself.
Is topping g5 portable amp a good pair with RU7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back