Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Jun 1, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #496 of 2,224
20230601_121258.jpg

It just sound better connected to sony usb out. Doesn't drain battery too much during the usage.

Jun 1, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #498 of 2,224
That's DSD conversion for you, minor clicks here and there.

DSD 128 is finicky on my iphone 14 pro max, DSD64 works fine.

Jun 1, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #500 of 2,224
Just got my hands on one out of curiosity....vs Fiio BTR7 (which now sounds a bit rougher/over-reach on the attack side...)

2 things I note on very brief out-of-box use....all IMHO of course as ever...Instrument layering/placement is markedly different on both....on the XYZ axis...front-to-back depth is not as deep as BTR7...feels behind the nose rather than in front of nose.....width of instrumentation is wider than BTR7..also a 'taller'..presentation....for me it's more of a wide eliptical than circle of sound...feels more in the head than out - with that narrow front to back depth - vs something similar price zone in dongle-land...BTR7.
Am not saying any of above are negatives on "headstaging" - just noticeably different with BTR7 brain burn-in 5 months+ or so.

Natural treble shimmer and overall analogue veneer on RU7 steps out vs BTR7....bass depth and cohesion is pretty great for such a small device...fluidity/holography top-to-bottom.

Tested at medium volume on an easy-to-drive planar can - and I know its aimed at being an IEM driving device primarily.

Saw an online review mentioning it was 'r2r' but isn't this hardware side SACD/DSD decoding tech a variant of delta-sigma technology + a discrete amping stage (?)...am not up-to-speed reading on it just now.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #501 of 2,224
I heard it briefly today. with UAPP my phone doesn't control the hardware volume. I found out the hard way, once again, hit play thinking the volume was down, it was on 60, need to let my ears rest a day and try again..

I toggled "Android 12+ volume fix" and still no hardware volume. will probably be added to UAPP soon.

my Pixel 7 has the worst usb audio support of any phone. Tidal app gave me zero with RU7. might change with android 14.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #503 of 2,224

Using which iems/headphones and at what volume? If you are using higher impedance / lower sensitivity headphones and need to push volume higher, into 60 and above, you will need to drop down to dsd64. And again, only the issue with iPhone and iOS enforced current limiting.

... been reading some online articles and see people speculating that even though iPhone 15 might switch to usb-c, it will still have to meet MFi certified limits :frowning2:

Jun 1, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #504 of 2,224
... been reading some online articles and see people speculating that even though iPhone 15 might switch to usb-c, it will still have to meet MFi certified limits :frowning2:

giphy (6).gif

Hopefully this won't be the case, since the USB-C connectors on iPads don't seem to have any problems powering any of the dongles that are known to have power issues with Lightning connectors.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #507 of 2,224

Ensure your lightning to usb cable is rated for 5 volt swings.

DSD 128 doesn’t cause issues on my lowly iPhone XS. I can even use DSD256 with no issues on low impedance IEMs. No pops/cracks between songs either, but on higher impedance impedance IEM (40 ohm) I do get the occasional crack when skipping songs or adjusting volume with DSD256, otherwise DSD128 has been flawless.

I have a corporate iPhone 13pro, I will add the Amazon app and see how RU7 is handled on a newer iPhone.

Jun 1, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #508 of 2,224
or is the RU7 gonna be the end for all DAP's? We might finally have a DAP killer here folks.

but would it be economically smart for a manufacturer to release $289 dongle that going to kill sales of their $2k co-flagship DAP? Just saying, RU7 is not going to be the end of N7 :wink: Instead, it's a great alternative when you don't want to carry standalone DAP :)

Jun 1, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #509 of 2,224
giphy (6).gif

Hopefully this won't be the case, since the USB-C connectors on iPads don't seem to have any problems powering any of the dongles that are known to have power issues with Lightning connectors.

iPad - a lot bigger battery, wifi, less frequent use vs iPhone - smaller battery, wifi and 5G, more frequent use. You see where I'm going with this...

Jun 1, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #510 of 2,224
or is the RU7 gonna be the end for all DAP's? We might finally have a DAP killer here folks.
The demise of DAPs has been declared more than once… I am really looking forward to in depth comparisons of the RU7 M15, and W4, and then comparisons with some of the more popular recent DAPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back