Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
May 31, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #481 of 2,223
I regret to say that I had to sell my RU6 to purchase the RU7, but I haven't been using the RU6 as much recently.
(Could see myself later getting a Hiby FC6 maybe)...
Hoping the RU7 is a bit better suited for more genres rather than jazz, classical and acoustic which I felt was the RU6's strong suit. Anyways, mine should arrive tomorrow. Guess we'll see!

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #482 of 2,223
Have you tried with tracks like Anges Obel "The Curse", just play first 30 seconds of instrumental intro at lower volume. That is usually my hissing test track. And by hissing, we all have a different hearing level and sensitivity to the sound, and usually it's not the wall of "hiss" that blankets the sound but rather a waterfall type of hissing you hear in the background, in quieter passages of the song. Again, I'm just going by other respected reviews which mentioned that.
I appreciate you and your reviews very much. Just giving my experience. I am also streaming Spotify through my phone and out of the M15.

May 31, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #483 of 2,223
I regret to say that I had to sell my RU6 to purchase the RU7, but I haven't been using the RU6 as much recently.
(Could see myself later getting a Hiby FC6 maybe)...
Hoping the RU7 is a bit better suited for more genres rather than jazz, classical and aviation which I felt was the RU6's strong suit. Anyways, mine should arrive tomorrow. Guess we'll see!
Enjoy, it's tough to part with something you like for something potentially better, but hopefully the RU7 will remind you of it while also being more versatile. I couldn't resist and ordered one, I've been slammed in life/work and only have had time to enjoy music with my gear, but I do hope to finally squeeze in some critical listening time to evaluate and compare it, especially with the FC6 and iBasso DC04 pro.

May 31, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #484 of 2,223
Yeah, I never tried the RU6, but I have a Hiby FC6. Love it to pieces for its easy filter/NOS modes and grand, smooth yet deep sound, but it shares the same problem, audible cellular interference, no matter how well shielded the cable, have to download music first then turn on airplane mode for dead silent playback. Think this is just a byproduct of using discrete components vs SoC/ICs for the DAC, an IC from Cirrus or ESS probably has some kind of shielding designed directly in the chip housing itself so it's never an issue. I don't really mind it, there's still no audible hiss or white noise, if anything it adds to the 'analog' experience, for better or for worse, but if streaming is crucial might want to avoid resistor ladder dongles or save it for home/special occasions.
Indeed. Basically i use dongles with uapp. So only streaming mode

May 31, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #485 of 2,223
Indeed. Basically i use dongles with uapp. So only streaming mode
I do notice there's no interference when streaming over wifi in airplane mode, but pretty much unbearable with cellular, so when out and about streaming, need to use another dongle or make sure to download a playlist.

May 31, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #487 of 2,223
Have my RU7 on hand and some first impressions

iPhone:
Using a Cayin usb/lightning cable RU7 was able to drive a 300 ohm Senn HD8XX. Also paired RU7 with MEST MK2, Etymotic ER4XR, and oldie but goodie AKG K3003. Those presented various impedance and tuning challenges. All headgear were using balanced connectors except for the AKG.

There are some hiccups in output with high impedance or lower sensitivity headphones and DSD256 engaged. Dropping down to DSD128 fixed that issue. It is best to leave the IPhone at max volume output and use RU7 volume control.

Moving through DSD64; 128; 256, the sound became less warm and more analytical. I have never heard a R2R DAC before, but Dsd 65 matches all the descriptions I have read for R2R signature; warm, smooth, analog, no harshness anywhere but not as precise or resolving as a Delta Sigma DAC.

Dsd 256 competes with the best delta sigma DAC and can get fatiguing with average recording or average IEMs. I found DSD128 to be best mode with iPhone, with the warmth and analog quality of DSD64, and resolving prowess of DSD256.

IPad Pro;

iOS systems playback via the USB port is likely the best streaming platform available and the iPad didn’t disappoint. There was no loss in warmth moving from DSD64 through to DSD256, but detail retrieval and soundstage got better. Unlike iPhone source, the analogue delivery stayed consistent from one DSD mode to the next with DSD256 being the most musical and resolving. Hicccups caused by lack of power was nonexistent, even when driving the HD8XX.

I found RU7 scales well with better gear. Two of my IEMs left me thinking RU7 was meeting expectations, then I paired it with Mest and HD8XX on the iPad and was awestruck. I am now seriously considering a N7 purchase.

I also feel RU7 may be similar sounding to RU6 @ DSD64 and can perform dual duties as a R2R or DSD dongle.

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #488 of 2,223

iPhone:
Using a Cayin usb/lightning cable RU7 was able to drive a 300 ohm Senn HD8XX. Also paired RU7 with MEST MK2, Etymotic ER4XR, and oldie but goodie AKG K3003. Those presented various impedance and tuning challenges. All headgear were using balanced connectors except for the AKG.

There are some hiccups in output with high impedance or lower sensitivity headphones and DSD256 engaged. Dropping down to DSD128 fixed that issue. It is best to leave the IPhone at max volume output and use RU7 volume control.

Moving through Dsd65; 128; 256, the sound became less warm and more analytical. I have never heard a R2R DAC before, but Dsd 65 matches all the descriptions I have read for R2R signature; warm, smooth, analog, no harshness anywhere but not as precise or resolving as a Delta Sigma DAC.

Dsd 256 competes with the best delta sigma DAC and can get fatiguing with average recording or average IEMs. I found DSD128 to be best mode with iPhone, with the warmth and analog quality of DSD64, and resolving prowess of DSD256.

IPad Pro;

iOS systems playback via the USB port is likely the best streaming platform available and the iPad didn’t disappoint. There was no loss in warmth moving from DSD64 through to DSD256, but detail retrieval and soundstage got better. Unlike iPhone source, the analogue delivery stayed consistent from one DSD mode to the next with DSD256 being the most musical and resolving. Hicccups caused by lack of power was nonexistent, even when driving the HD8XX.

I found RU7 scales well with better gear. Two of my IEMs left me thinking RU7 was meeting expectations, then I paired it with Mest and HD8XX on the iPad and was awestruck. I am now seriously considering a N7 purchase.

I also feel RU7 may be similar sounding to RU6 @ DSD64 and can perform dual duties as a R2R or DSD dongle.
This last part is kind of what I'm hoping for; That it could at least scratch the itch for a portable R2R-like set-up as I have the R26 @ home. Thanks for your thoughts and observations!

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #489 of 2,223
It is best to leave the IPhone at max volume output and use RU7 volume control.
It sort of doesn’t work. Whatever volume You choose (at least on my iPhone) it is controlled by dongle only..
N7 purchase.
I wasn’t hearing anything close to RU7 on N7.

May 31, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #490 of 2,223

iPhone:

Moving through Dsd65; 128; 256, the sound became less warm and more analytical. I have never heard a R2R DAC before, but Dsd 65 matches all the descriptions I have read for R2R signature; warm, smooth, analog, no harshness anywhere but not as precise or resolving as a Delta Sigma DAC.

IPad Pro;

How does it sound *with the ER4XR?

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #491 of 2,223
It sort of doesn’t work. Whatever volume You choose (at least on my iPhone) it is controlled by dongle only..

I wasn’t hearing anything close to RU7 on N7.

Could it be app dependent? My source was Amazon Music. The way iOS works the app volume and system volume settings are independent; the volume need to be adjusted while the music app is open. If you’re adjusting system volume that won’t impact the dongle output.

It is surprising to hear that RU7 sounded better than N7? Cayin mentioned RU7 uses hardware PCM to DSD transcoder vs software solution for N7. I typically prefer hardware implementations for audio features.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #492 of 2,223
How does it sound *with the ER4XR?

I need to give it a second and more extended listening session. Two things that stood out is the ER4XR in balanced mode were harder to drive than anticipated (needed high gain on iPhone) and the soundstage with triple flange tip was large and didn’t have the usual in your head presentation.

Keep in mind the ER4XR is one of the best tuned IEM available and will sound good irrespective of what it is paired with.

Jun 1, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #493 of 2,223
I’m still waiting for my RU7, but as I wait I wanted to ask; how does the RU7 compare with the Questyle M15?

I have the M15 as well and I saw it in your signature. I’m hoping they’re not redundant.

Posted an initial OOTB impressions here with the M15 compared inside.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...k-dongle-dac-amp.968064/page-29#post-17580624

But here it is again:
"When compared against the Questyle M15, the RU7 has a more expansive soundstage, with better instrument separation. The M15 is a bit more neutralish with slightly better imaging/micro-detailing and more edge definition to notes. The RU7 can power more demanding gear compared to the M15, which is a bit limited in this department."

Not sure if i mentioned this but I heard no interference during my 4 days of using the RU7, iPhone -> Qobuz -> RU7 -> Anole v14/Mest Mk2

Yep I didn't find any EMI/hiss on the RU7, which I did hear a bit on the M15 and especially on the RU6.

Jun 1, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #494 of 2,223
Could it be app dependent? My source was Amazon Music. The way iOS works the app volume and system volume settings are independent; the volume need to be adjusted while the music app is open. If you’re adjusting system volume that won’t impact the dongle output.

It is surprising to hear that RU7 sounded better than N7? Cayin mentioned RU7 uses hardware PCM to DSD transcoder vs software solution for N7. I typically prefer hardware implementations for audio features.
Might be, of course!
Sound is subjective, but for 289$ this dongle is excellent!
I didn’t have a week with N7, if someone wishes to borrow me their in New York, I’d be happy to make an honest comparison

Jun 1, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #495 of 2,223
Whenever playing music using my RU7, there is an audible "click" sound during:

1. Begining of the track.
2. End of the track.
3. Skipping/switching tracks.

Does any RU7 owner experienced the same? Is this normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back