May 29, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #421 of 2,138
Bought a Cayin RU7 and just received it today. Here are some short impressions:

RU7.jpeg

Accessories wise, it comes with:
- USB A-USB C adapter
- USB C to USB C cable
- leather case

RU7 2.jpeg

This dongle is extremely light, with smooth surfaces and an elegant glass LED panel. Build is good, the ports are reinforced with gold plating. It is a plug and play device, no issues with Windows 10 or my smartphone recognizing it immediately (I apologize as I'm not an Apple user and can't test compatibility with Apple architecture).

On to sound (these are out of the box impressions before burn in). The RU7 is warm neutral, very musical yet retaining good technical chops. It is a smooth dongle with minimal harshness even with "shouty" tracks. Soundstage (depth, height and width) is expansive and instrument separation is a standout on this dongle. Music is spaciously layered on a dark background, with instruments easily pinpointed in their own space. Notes edges are rounded and not piercing. Note weight is hefty with organic timbre for acoustic instruments.

There's high gain and low gain options, and the RU7 has huge power on tap with 400 mW @ 32 ohms, allowing it to drive most gear out there, perhaps other than some planar headphone behemoths or extreme outliers. These are my usual acid tests when trying out a new source:
- Final Audio E5000 (low sensitivity at 93dB/mW)
- Sennheiser HD650 (high impedance at 300ohm)
- Yinman 600 ohm (600ohm impedance and 87db/mW sensitivity!)

If the Final E5000 is not powered well, it sounds very bloated and muddy in the bass. The RU7 powers the E5000 well on 4.4mm (high gain) with complex bass tracks. Test passed.
For the HD650, it can sound boring and undynamic if not powered well. The RU7 passes this test too on 4.4mm (high gain).
The final boss, the Yinman 600 ohm earbuds, has very low sensitivity with a high 600 ohm impedance. The bass can be very nebulous and fuzzy when it is not juiced well, and the RU7 does a decent job powering it on 4.4mm (high gain), though perhaps desktop amps with larger power on tap may do a better job with regards to bass tightness and dynamics.

The RU7 has 0.5 ohm and 1.0 ohm output impedance respectively on the 3.5mm and 4.4mm ports, allowing it to be paired with fussy sensitive IEMs (based on audiophile rule of eights), so it doesn't skew the frequency response of these fastidious IEMs, which is something I appreciate (ie no change in sound signature). There's no hiss with these sensitive IEMs too.

When compared against the RU6, the RU7 is slightly less warm/analoguish, but the RU7 beats the RU6 handily in technical chops.
When compared against the Questyle M15, the RU7 has a more expansive soundstage, with better instrument separation. The M15 is a bit more neutralish with slightly better imaging/micro-detailing and more edge definition to notes. The RU7 can power more demanding gear compared to the M15, which is a bit limited in this department.

I do notice the RU7 gets slightly warm especially on high gain/4.4mm, but nothing scalding. I will do further tests and burn in and report back. Would like to also see how is its battery consumption with smartphones, but out of the box, I think the RU7 is an excellent dongle that melds musicality and technicalities well into a very smooth and pleasant soundscape. A keeper in my book!

Last edited:
May 29, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #422 of 2,138
Does anyone know the output impedance of RU7 4.4mm output? (important for me as Campfire Andromeda changes it's sound sig drastically between 0 - 2 OI output)

Haha - ignore my qn, I see the answer in the post above (seems we posted at same time!) - 0.5 and 1ohms

Last edited:
May 29, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #423 of 2,138
Does anyone know the output impedance of RU7 4.4mm output? (important for me as Campfire Andromeda changes it's sound sig drastically between 0 - 2 OI output)

Output impedance of 0.5 ohm on 3.5mm and 1.0 ohm on 4.4mm.

May 29, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #424 of 2,138

Haha - ignore my qn, I see the answer in the post above (seems we posted at same time!) - 0.5 and 1ohms
See last message from @baskingshark 👆🏻

May 29, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #425 of 2,138

RU7.jpeg

- USB A-USB C adapter
- USB C to USB C cable
- leather case

RU7 2.jpeg

This dongle is extremely light, with smooth surfaces and an elegant glass LED panel. Build is good, the ports are reinforced with gold plating. It is a plug and play device, no issues with Windows 10 or my smartphone recognizing it immediately (I apologize as I'm not an Apple user and can't test compatibility with Apple architecture).

On to sound (these are out of the box impressions before burn in). The RU7 is warm neutral, very musical yet retaining good technical chops. It is a smooth dongle with minimal harshness even with "shouty" tracks. Soundstage (depth, height and width) is expansive and instrument separation is a standout on this dongle. Music is spaciously layered on a dark background, with instruments easily pinpointed in their own space. Notes edges are rounded and not piercing. Note weight is hefty with organic timbre for acoustic instruments.

There's high gain and low gain options, and the RU7 has huge power on tap with 400 mW @ 32 ohms, allowing it to drive most gear out there, perhaps other than some planar headphone behemoths or extreme outliers. These are my usual acid tests when trying out a new source:

If the Final E5000 is not powered well, it sounds very bloated and muddy in the bass. The RU7 powers the E5000 well on 4.4mm (high gain) with complex bass tracks. Test passed.
For the HD650, it can sound boring and undynamic if not powered well. The RU7 passes this test too on 4.4mm (high gain).
The final boss, the Yinman 600 ohm earbuds, has very low sensitivity with a high 600 ohm impedance. The bass can be very nebulous and fuzzy when it is not juiced well, and the RU7 does a decent job powering it on 4.4mm (high gain), though perhaps desktop amps with larger power on tap may do a better job with regards to bass tightness and dynamics.

The RU7 has 0.5 ohm and 1.0 ohm output impedance respectively on the 3.5mm and 4.4mm ports, allowing it to be paired with fussy sensitive IEMs (based on audiophile rule of eights), so it doesn't skew the frequency response of these fastidious IEMs, which is something I appreciate (ie no change in sound signature). There's no hiss with these sensitive IEMs too.

When compared against the RU6, the RU7 is slightly less warm/analoguish, but the RU7 beats the RU6 handily in technical chops.
When compared against the Questyle M15, the RU7 has a more expansive soundstage, with better instrument separation. The M15 is a bit more neutralish with slightly better imaging/micro-detailing and more edge definition to notes. The RU7 can power more demanding gear compared to the M15, which is a bit limited in this department.

I do notice the RU7 gets slightly warm especially on high gain/4.4mm, but nothing scalding. I will do further tests and burn in and report back. Would like to also see how is its battery consumption with smartphones, but out of the box, I think the RU7 is an excellent dongle that melds musicality and technicalities well into a very smooth and pleasant soundscape. A keeper in my book!
Everything is described perfectly
As practice shows with RU 6, after a long time of using RU7, it will become even better. RU6/7 definitely needs time to unlock its potential.

May 29, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #426 of 2,138

RU7.jpeg

- USB A-USB C adapter
- USB C to USB C cable
- leather case

RU7 2.jpeg

M15 has a definitive coloration, accent on midbass. does the RU7 avoid this?

May 29, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #428 of 2,138

RU7.jpeg

- USB A-USB C adapter
- USB C to USB C cable
- leather case

RU7 2.jpeg

Very good impressions! Enjoyed!

May 29, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #429 of 2,138
This looks promising... I might have to check it out. Cheers!

May 29, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #430 of 2,138

RU7.jpeg

- USB A-USB C adapter
- USB C to USB C cable
- leather case

RU7 2.jpeg

Are you using DSD files or PCM files to do the testing and listening with RU7?

May 29, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #431 of 2,138
Are you using DSD files or PCM files to do the testing and listening with RU7?

Yesterday's initial out of the box impressions was using PCM files when doing A/B comparisons, but I will take out some DSD files for testing over the next few days and report back!

M15 has a definitive coloration, accent on midbass. does the RU7 avoid this?

The RU7 seems a bit thicker in the bass than the M15, the RU7 is a warm dongle for sure.

May 29, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #432 of 2,138
Yesterday's initial out of the box impressions was using PCM files when doing A/B comparisons, but I will take out some DSD files for testing over the next few days and report back!
So RU7 sounds very good with PCM? That's my only concern about this model, since I don't have any DSD files.

May 29, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #433 of 2,138
So RU7 sounds very good with PCM? That's my only concern about this model, since I don't have any DSD files.

Yep, I think the RU7 pairs nicely with PCM, especially if you are after something slightly analoguish and musical, warm and fatigue free, yet preserving good technicalities (especially with regard to imaging, soundstage and layering), the RU7 is excellent in these aspects.

For a dongle, it has surprisingly good power on the 4.4mm/high gain option, and the RU7 should be able to power most demanding gear (other than outliers), and even fussy high sensitivity stuff (due to low output impedance). So compatibility with transducers is also very high, unlike some other dongles that are weak or have too high OI.

However, the RU7 is a coloured dongle, and perhaps some purists might want something dead neutral or something highly analytical, then perhaps look elsewhere.

May 29, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #434 of 2,138
Yep, I think the RU7 pairs nicely with PCM, especially if you are after something slightly analoguish and musical, warm and fatigue free, yet preserving good technicalities (especially with regard to imaging, soundstage and layering), the RU7 is excellent in these aspects.

For a dongle, it has surprisingly good power on the 4.4mm/high gain option, and the RU7 should be able to power most demanding gear (other than outliers), and even fussy high sensitivity stuff (due to low output impedance). So compatibility with transducers is also very high, unlike some other dongles that are weak or have too high OI.

However, the RU7 is a coloured dongle, and perhaps some purists might want something dead neutral or something highly analytical, then perhaps look elsewhere.
I'll wait for more reviews before deciding but thank you for your first impressions and answering questions.

May 29, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #435 of 2,138

The ru7 able to drive the Legato well , moving the bass region hard enough without treble harshness ? Is it a good pairing, what do you think ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back