Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Jun 8, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #796 of 2,133
iPhone 14 Pro / ddHifi Nyx series MFi 07S can handle DSD 256
Yes, DSD256 is not totally unusable, but you can't use it to drive difficult load. DSD64 and DSD128 settings provides more flexibility and you can use it with demanding IEM or even portable friendly headphones.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 8, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #797 of 2,133
Yes, DSD256 is not totally unusable, but you can't use it ti drive difficult load. DSD64 and DSD128 settings provides more flexibility and you can use it with demanding IEM or even portable friendly headphones.
My only negative experience with that setting is excessive battery drain (5% per 30 minutes)

Jun 9, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #800 of 2,133
iPhone 14 Pro High gain dsd 256

Probably a good idea to use magsafe battery pack on the go, to charge your iPhone while listening, or TC28i Pro power adapter at your desk :)

Jun 9, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #801 of 2,133
So, I have been focusing lately more on cables and current draw rather than the sound, especially with iPhone where we have a current limitation. ClieOS kindly shared his measurements, and I confirmed that with all the IEMs and Headphones I tried connected to 4.4mm output, in High Gain, I get:
  • DSD256: 220 mA
  • DSD128: 190 mA
  • DSD64: 170 mA
One thing to note, once you are idling, no playback, the current drops to 50mA so you are not draining your phone's battery as much. This is a very good design practice!

For the reference, the volume level under these conditions:

w/UM Mentor Multiverse: v26
w/Elysian Annihilator'23: v39
w/Meze Empyrean: v43
w/ATH-R70x (470ohm, 99dB sensitivity): v65

R70x are my most demanding headphones, and even with iPhone XS and RU7 in high gain and DSD256, I was able to listen to R70x at 65 without any stuttering; could even push the volume higher.

But, I was still trying to force it into a stuttering condition with iPhone, to hit the current draw limit. Was only able to do that with Empyrean in high gain at DSD256 while pushing the volume beyond listening level when I raised it to 63 and current draw hit 230mA. Again, just running the experiment because we use different demanding headphones. Under this condition, once I drop to DSD64, problem goes away since it draws less current.

Another solution where you don't have to compromise switching to a different DSD format is to switch to a different cable. Tried my new @ddHiFi MFi07S and even at high gain, with DSD256, and ear shattering volume with Empyrean, the problem went away once I switched to that cable. I just assume, thicker power wires, less resistance, smaller voltage drop, and just below the threshold of current draw limit which made iPhone happy. Btw, absolutely beautiful cable with high build quality.

So, just in case if someone runs into a problem with their iPhone while listening to RU7 in high gain and DSD256, and you are driving your demanding headphones at a high volume, switching to a different cable is one of the solutions if you don't want to drop it down to DSD64. In my case, ddhifi MFi07S usb-c to lightning OTG cable did the trick!

1686285973260.png
1686286008472.png

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #802 of 2,133
Lightning cable all have an authentication chip inside, and different version / generation of that chip can affect how much voltage/ current will be available to the accessory.

Jun 9, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #803 of 2,133
Lightning cable all have an authentication chip inside, and different version / generation of that chip can affect how much voltage/ current will be available to the accessory.

This is my first "apple" journey, got used iPhone XS just for testing :D And under the condition above where I forced the "failure", I tried every single lighting otg cable including those from Cayin, Lotoo, L&P, iBasso, Shanling, and even OE Audio. Of course, this is an extreme condition, even unrealistic in my case since I forced the volume beyond listening level, but still, only that specific cable got it to work. Interestingly enough, ddhifi have it listed as high current 2.0 version. So perhaps, as you mentioned, it has something to do with a chip version they used. Good to know!

Jun 9, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #804 of 2,133
This is my first "apple" journey, got used iPhone XS just for testing :D And under the condition above where I forced the "failure", I tried every single lighting otg cable including those from Cayin, Lotoo, L&P, iBasso, Shanling, and even OE Audio. Of course, this is an extreme condition, even unrealistic in my case since I forced the volume beyond listening level, but still, only that specific cable got it to work. Interestingly enough, ddhifi have it listed as high current 2.0 version. So perhaps, as you mentioned, it has something to do with a chip version they used. Good to know!
So if I were to own one Lightning cable it should be the MFi07S?

Jun 9, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #806 of 2,133
How many hours does it take to burn it in? What changes should happen?
Let's say it's controversial and unmeasurable, usually a trick used by by manufacturers to convince buyers to spend more time with the gear or headphones to "get used" to it instead of sending right back.

Jun 9, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #807 of 2,133
Let's say it's controversial and unmeasurable, usually a trick used by by manufacturers to convince buyers to spend more time with the gear or headphones to "get used" to it instead of sending right back.
My question is this... How can you keep consistency from unit to unit when a variable like burn in is required to reach peak performance?

Jun 9, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #808 of 2,133
Which adaptor is that is it the ddhifi one? Looking to pick one up in UK but not easy!

There is a dealer in Germany. Obviously your purchase will be subject to customs but free DHL shipping depending on purchase value (delivery will be a lot faster than having to source it out of EU region and customs are also applicable on the transport fee).
https://hifi-passion.de/en/

Jun 9, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #809 of 2,133
My question is this... How can you keep consistency from unit to unit when a variable like burn in is required to reach peak performance?
Burning in electrical components and conductors is a given in the desktop/2-channel space, so I'm not sure why it's so controversial in portable audio devices. If someone feels that burn-in isn't an issue or a factor, that's fine too. Most of the hobby is about 'perception' anyway.

Jun 9, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #810 of 2,133
Some called it burn-in,
I call it aging.
Sometime it is joyful,
but mostly just painful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back