Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
May 20, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #211 of 2,157
May 20, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #212 of 2,157
Sad to see that there is no internal battery here in the RU7 but I think I'll still give this one a try. I've been interested in the N7 and this should give me a taste of what the 1-Bit DAC is capable of and it's sound charecteristics just like how RU6 made it easier for me to decide and purchase the RS2 & EF400.

It's nice to see the honest and open dialogue that Cayin has regarding their products and their limitation. This honesty coupled with their well made products have me happy to purchase their products.

I'll just put this out there, if there is another series of products with R2R & 1-Bit DACs that compete with the likes of Mojo 2 & Gryphon with an internal battery, Line-Out... I'm gonne be the first to order this type of DAC.

May 20, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #213 of 2,157
Honestly however the lack of battery in these dongles makes me appreciate them even more. When I deal with devices equipped with batteries, I always have a feeling of precariousness, even more so if they are small like these. I know it's my obsession, but I prefer it this way so that I only have to worry about the battery of my smartphone or pc (assuming it's not connected directly to the home socket). Also for the dap they should implement the use of replaceable batteries like the 18650 as Cayin did very well for its C9... at that point I would feel calmer. By now even from smartphones they have removed the batteries that can be replaced by customers, obviously it is useless to say why since it is simply intuitive. $$$$

May 20, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #214 of 2,157
May 20, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #215 of 2,157
Honestly however the lack of battery in these dongles makes me appreciate them even more. When I deal with devices equipped with batteries, I always have a feeling of precariousness, even more so if they are small like these. I know it's my obsession, but I prefer it this way so that I only have to worry about the battery of my smartphone or pc (assuming it's not connected directly to the home socket). Also for the dap they should implement the use of replaceable batteries like the 18650 as Cayin did very well for its C9... at that point I would feel calmer. By now even from smartphones they have removed the batteries that can be replaced by customers, obviously it is useless to say why since it is simply intuitive. $$$$
I’d love an 18650 for my SP3000. Kind of dreading the day when I’ll eventually need to change out the battery

May 20, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #217 of 2,157
If Mqa is essential for you, the only compatible dongle of this type is the Hiby FC6.
I'll say iFi Go Bar instead, which has full MQA decoding, balanced output, hardware EQ, IEMatch and unlike FC6, an stable firmware. Plus Go Bar is easily a good match on SQ as FC6.

May 21, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #218 of 2,157
RU6 has been my daily driver for a while now and 8s my favorite DAC ever. I will be upgrading to RU7 as soon as possible.

The all-to-DSD and line out features feel like they were tailor-made for me.

One remaining question I have after reading the specs though, will RU7 be compatible with multichannel music? Or are the 4 channels merged into 2 stereo channels at all time?

May 21, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #219 of 2,157
RU6 has been my daily driver for a while now and 8s my favorite DAC ever. I will be upgrading to RU7 as soon as possible.

The all-to-DSD and line out features feel like they were tailor-made for me.

One remaining question I have after reading the specs though, will RU7 be compatible with multichannel music? Or are the 4 channels merged into 2 stereo channels at all time?
In the end, I didn't quite understand what the "all to DSD" function should do... for example, if I activate it on my FiiO M15 it just makes everything more artificial and digital... instead, when done well, what should it add to the sound?

May 21, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #221 of 2,157
Their comparison would've been nice, yup :)
It happened just at the right time, I wanted to know if I can connect the RU6 to my old and always loved ifi micro ican se, so I wanted to understand what its input impedance was via the RCA jacks. I don't want to do any damage given the low impedance of the RU6's 3.5mm unbalanced output. Thank you.

May 21, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #222 of 2,157
It happened just at the right time, I wanted to know if I can connect the RU6 to my old and always loved ifi micro ican se, so I wanted to understand what its input impedance was via the RCA jacks. I don't want to do any damage given the low impedance of the RU6's 3.5mm unbalanced output. Thank you.

Thanks a lot for still having it :) I'll have to ask about the specs you need, but I don't think that stacking micro iCAN SE and RU6 will cause any issues.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 21, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #223 of 2,157
RU-6 reminds me of compression used on vinyl mastering to avoid excessive groove excursion with biggest impact on
low bass. Sound is musical but you can hear the loss compared to a desktop DAC or battery powered DAC.

Not detecting where that will improve with RU-7?

May 21, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #225 of 2,157
In the end, I didn't quite understand what the "all to DSD" function should do... for example, if I activate it on my FiiO M15 it just makes everything more artificial and digital... instead, when done well, what should it add to the sound?
Someone more knowledgeable than me might elaborate on this, but to my understanding all delta sigma DAC incorporate a 1bit DAC anyway, but its output is transformed back to PCM.

1bit DACs are a much simpler design with the output of the DAC just passing through a low pass filter (3 in RU7 case if I understand correctly) and sent to the analog circuit. That's why they are known to sound more natural and musical despite measuring poorly just like R2R DACs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back