Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
May 20, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #197 of 2,157
The screen size looks the same as RU-6. Has there been any update to the screen and or display? Not that I don't like the retro 90s mini disc feeling of the RU-6 display.

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #198 of 2,157
May 20, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #203 of 2,157
In the end I already know that I will buy it anyway, but in my humble opinion the real magic was done by Cayin with the RU6. The "magic" sound of the RU6 will remain unattainable... although I obviously hope I'm wrong.

May 20, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #205 of 2,157
However... without being engineers, just listen to them to understand that they sound different from all the rest... and this is enough for me and more... and above all enough for my Mest MKII who appreciate them a lot (only RU6 for now ) lol

May 20, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #207 of 2,157
Different is one thing. Better other. I liked a lot the ru6 but the difference compared to my other dongles was little
Have you tried listening to it with high level iems?
Let's say from Mest MKII to go up?
If you don't hear the magical sound of the RU6, in my opinion, there are only two possibilities... the first is that you don't like its sound and the second is that the IEMs you listen to it with don't have the necessary synergy to really appreciate it . You should try it with the most neutral IEMs you have (if they are too pushed on the bass they are not good). For example, it goes very well with the Mest MKII, with the Jewel and with the Blessing 2, while it goes less well with the iBasso IT07 and even less with the IER-Z1R (too much bass). The more transparent the IEMs you connect it to, the better you get its "magic". This is just my opinion...of course...

May 20, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #208 of 2,157
Have you tried listening to it with high level iems?
Let's say from Mest MKII to go up?
If you don't hear the magical sound of the RU6, in my opinion, there are only two possibilities... the first is that you don't like its sound and the second is that the IEMs you listen to it with don't have the necessary synergy to really appreciate it . You should try it with the most neutral IEMs you have (if they are too pushed on the bass they are not good). For example, it goes very well with the Mest MKII, with the Jewel and with the Blessing 2, while it goes less well with the iBasso IT07 and even less with the IER-Z1R (too much bass). The more transparent the IEMs you connect it to, the better you get its "magic". This is just my opinion...of course...
This is my experience of the RU6 too. My Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros are the most neutral headphone I have and the Tin HiFi T4 are the most neutral IEM that I have, albeit the KZ ASTs are pretty balanced too. The synergy the RU6 has with all of them is just magical. After about 40mins - 1hr it's as if the soundstage just gets wider and holographic - like the limit you had experienced with these headphones and IEMs just got superseded - blown out of the park. I doubt the RU7 can better that, but given the success of the RU6, I am digging the idea of a Cayin upgrade.

May 20, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #209 of 2,157
From what I understand so far the new RU7 should be right in the middle between a delta-sigma dongle and an R2R, even if perhaps more delta-sigma leaning. So more precision, more focused instruments, more details, less roll-off especially in the highs, but always without completely losing the musicality of the RU6. Surely the 400mw are a big leap forward, therefore more authority in driving big headphones like HD660 and HE400 (among the ones I have) which in any case are already very appreciable with the RU6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back