Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Jan 28, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #1,816 of 3,665
Connection where??? Everything is brand new… I just bought a new apple dongle today.. just to make sure. I’m done throwing money at it. 😢😢😢
My dap SP1000 randomly restart while in use and I am sure it is not new but not too old.
My ru6 also new (2 months) not 2nd hand. I got more problem with it than you: hot, volume variation at unbox moment, and sometimes plug in but it did not power on (only this existing now)
New or old, may not relation.

I think audio journey is a lesson also. We learnt from it, with fees.
I want to stop since shure kse1500 and SP1000ss but I still try something I though funny. I do not think I will got a new thing (w/o tons of money) beyond my stop spot.
But still corious some small stuffs.
Kaldas RR1, Ibasso SR1, Ru6 are blind bind items.

I learnt that: when maximize a potential of a stuff, amazing reward I will get.
Hope you can find a way to deal with your RU6.

Constrast with reviews, SR1 was crap for me, it even did not reproduce in a correct way a note of piano or bass guitar on the 1st day.
2nd day I decided to digging the reason. Then mod it on day3.
I still keep it (so it appears in my sig) while others has left away. If chose my hd800s to keep or my SR1, I can not decide easily !

At the time posting this I am listening to UAPP(on my phone) with PEQ + Ru6 + Silver cable + it00 from ibasso.
(Cable $280, it00 $69).
I am sure that I love this (280 + 69)bug more than my shure535 in the pass (wich was $520 in my local) or my hd650 (oh yes, so similar to that sound but in form of an iem!)
This peq, it00+cable+ru6 in a combination is latest lesson I learnt

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #1,817 of 3,665
I run my ru6 24/7 for weeks on end while burning in iems. I don’t have any heat issues at all. Connected to a TB3 port on an iMac.
@Goofyboy84 You should have it looked at or replaced. Something is wrong with your unit.

Jan 28, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #1,818 of 3,665
I run my ru6 24/7 for weeks on end while burning in iems. I don’t have any heat issues at all. Connected to a TB3 port on an iMac.
@Goofyboy84 You should have it looked at or replaced. Something is wrong with your unit.
Agreed. My own RU6 close to 400 hours now with regular use. No heating up issues, no disconnection. And I pair it with two different phones, a laptop. Driving all sorts of IEMs and Headphones. It is not unusual to have a bad unit among many. Even the most prominent of brands can have this issue. Just ask Cayin for a replacement

Jan 29, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #1,819 of 3,665
If you thumb through the whole thing here… I’ve had nothing but issues… little crap… but all the time…

Jan 29, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #1,820 of 3,665
Agreed. My own RU6 close to 400 hours now with regular use. No heating up issues, no disconnection. And I pair it with two different phones, a laptop. Driving all sorts of IEMs and Headphones. It is not unusual to have a bad unit among many. Even the most prominent of brands can have this issue. Just ask Cayin for a replacement
Mine gets HOT! I have freakin Laylas with a balanced cord! Not exactly a hellacious load here! 20 ohms. Sooo… yeah…

Jan 29, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #1,821 of 3,665
If you thumb through the whole thing here… I’ve had nothing but issues… little crap… but all the time…
I’m past my 30 days. But the crappy thing is… half the time… my Laylas have been at JH getting remolded… then I had static.. returned them… the Laylas are fine.. so I paid $9.xx whatever and bought an apple headphone-lightning dongle… as my old one may have a short. Ok fine. That works flawlessly now.

Hook the amp up to the camera adaptor to the phone… blah blah… everything is Apple branded, Cayin, or JH audio. No junk brand here… I’ve tried a Belkin charging cord in the beginning… nope! Apple only. I’m ok with the apple only. I wouldn’t excpect anything less from apple…. Haha!

It’s just frustrating. I was hoping 100% plug and play… I mean… I paid enough… didn’t I? 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Jan 29, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #1,822 of 3,665
I have like… 100-150… maybe??? Hell! They’re just barely burned in!!! 😢😢😢😢 that’s EVERYTHING. And yes… I was hoping to use anytime and as much as I wanted. No issues. Ya know?

I’ve put it in the box. I’ll see what happens in the next couple weeks. I won’t bother Andy right now. He’s doing his holiday celebration.

I’m just bitching. Frustrated.

Jan 29, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #1,823 of 3,665
I’m back. Laylas are back… does the RU6 randomly shut off or crap out once it hits a certain temperature? Just curious. Mine is suddenly doing this… just since I plugged it in and started listening for… an hour maybe?
It has not happened to me. I just run mine for 48 hours with the case on and the screen turned on the entire time without any issues. It only felt warm to the touch.

Jan 29, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #1,824 of 3,665
I have like… 100-150… maybe??? Hell! They’re just barely burned in!!! 😢😢😢😢 that’s EVERYTHING. And yes… I was hoping to use anytime and as much as I wanted. No issues. Ya know?

I’ve put it in the box. I’ll see what happens in the next couple weeks. I won’t bother Andy right now. He’s doing his holiday celebration.

I’m just bitching. Frustrated.
Sorry but why you don't ask replacement of ru6?

Jan 29, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #1,825 of 3,665
Interesting that you mentioned this, yesterday I had an audition of the RU6, to my surprise I had the same finding with sibilance pairing with FiiO FHE and Westone W60 earphones (both not normally sibilant), , but this was a deal breaker for me and

Maybe this is due to issues with host's software/app settings?

Jan 29, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #1,826 of 3,665
Just bought a nice RCA to jack cable for my xDuoo MT-601. Now I can use the real line output and not the amplified headphones output like I used to at the preamp stage. It's a lot more cleaner and I can now enjoy the RU6 in a real desktop setup that sounds so freaking good! 🤤

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #1,827 of 3,665
I’m past my 30 days. But the crappy thing is… half the time… my Laylas have been at JH getting remolded… then I had static.. returned them… the Laylas are fine.. so I paid $9.xx whatever and bought an apple headphone-lightning dongle… as my old one may have a short. Ok fine. That works flawlessly now.

Hook the amp up to the camera adaptor to the phone… blah blah… everything is Apple branded, Cayin, or JH audio. No junk brand here… I’ve tried a Belkin charging cord in the beginning… nope! Apple only. I’m ok with the apple only. I wouldn’t excpect anything less from apple…. Haha!

It’s just frustrating. I was hoping 100% plug and play… I mean… I paid enough… didn’t I? 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe you are outside of
return window, but you are still under warranty. Since nobody else having this issue, just contact the place where you purchased it to get a replacement.

Another thing, I remember the whole saga of you going through half a dozen of different charging cables and splitters trying to listen and charge at the same time, using different off brand or whatever, splitters, adapters, etc. Not rulling out something didn't burn out.

But right now, if you are just using a simple connection with your iPhone, usb-c to lightning otg cable and RU6, does it still get warm? Forget about splitters and charging while listening. Let's get down to basic connection.

Jan 29, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #1,828 of 3,665
Just bought a nice RCA to jack cable for my xDuoo MT-601. Now I can use the real line output and not the amplified headphones output like I used to at the preamp stage. It's a lot more cleaner and I can now enjoy the RU6 in a real desktop setup that sounds so freaking good! 🤤
Can you share a diagram/photo of your setup? Are you connecting the RCA cable to the 3.5mm jack and then plug to the RCA input of your amp? How about gain & volume setting on the RU6?

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #1,829 of 3,665
Can you share a diagram/photo of your setup? Are you connecting the RCA cable to the 3.5mm jack and then plug to the RCA input of your amp? How about gain & volume setting on the RU6?
My detailed setup is : RU6 => 4.4mm to 3.5mm balanced cable =>MT-601 =>RCA to 3.5mm cable =>FiiO Q3=> Focal Elegia.
I'm connecting the RCA part of the cable my tube amp line out, making it a proper pre-amp, then the 3.5mm plug goes into the Q3 aux in to use the device in amp mode.
With the pre-amp level set to max, RU6 on NOS mode with low gain, around 50-51 is enough volume. I can fine tune it with the Q3 volume knob

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #1,830 of 3,665
Edit… I am moving from the RU6 to the W2. The thing about the RU6 is that its “accuracy” (note quotes) is as much dependent on using its own volume control (while the source volume at max) as using the R2R DAC.

I enjoyed the RU6 sound, and it drove my Shure headcans very well, but I’m also investing in IEMs, and felt I needed equalization for best adapting to both types of listening…

Cheers from the Avalon Peninsula…:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back