Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Jan 27, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #1,787 of 3,665
All members in Cayin will start our Chinese New Year holiday today. During the holiday, all orders, inquires and after sales service will be processed immediately when we resume office on 10th February. 2022.

Thanks for all the support and we wish everyone to stay safe, healthy, and to have a wonderful Year of Tiger.

2022 Chines New Year.jpg

PS. Unlike previous years, I'll will take a break during the Chinese New Year vacation. I'll only check on forum occasionally. Please pardon me if I didn't resposne to your exchanges or PM promptly.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 27, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #1,788 of 3,665
For those who are interested, my full detailed review of RU6 is up! Enjoy the read :)

cayin-ru6-06.jpg
agree about solaris 2020. i tried several times the solaris balanced vs. s.e. with the same cable and i prefere balanced. but the volume is low and sometimes i have some noise

Jan 27, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #1,789 of 3,665
For those who are interested, my full detailed review of RU6 is up! Enjoy the read :)

You didn’t happen to measure the current draw for testing with the higher impedance ‘full size’ headphones, did you? Single-ended vs balanced? These measurements might better inform iPhone users regarding the RU6’s power demands, and what to expect from iPhones… and there being some noise about Android phones also thinking about governing the USB-C port…

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #1,790 of 3,665
You didn’t happen to measure the current draw for testing with the higher impedance ‘full size’ headphones, did you? Single-ended vs balanced? These measurements might better inform iPhone users regarding the RU6’s power demands, and what to expect from iPhones… and there being some noise about Android phones also thinking about governing the USB-C port…

Don't have iPhone, but can measure tonight after work using ipod touch?

Jan 27, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #1,792 of 3,665
Thanks Twister6… I just thought power demand would be the same independent of the source, but maybe that’s something to check as well(?)
As with many USB implementation, the voltage supply may be capped at 5V. Some even hovers at 3.7V. But what is more important the current being supplied throughout the voltage range. In this case I have found that iPhones typically has lower current than most Android devices. Some android devices like Samsung Galaxy S20, capable of providing 900 mA of current (USB 3.0), while most other devices capped at 500 mA (USB 2.0)

Jan 27, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #1,793 of 3,665
As with many USB implementation, the voltage supply may be capped at 5V. Some even hovers at 3.7V. But what is more important the current being supplied throughout the voltage range. In this case I have found that iPhones typically has lower current than most Android devices. Some android devices like Samsung Galaxy S20, capable of providing 900 mA of current (USB 3.0), while most other devices capped at 500 mA (USB 2.0)

It is also cable dependent, not only device dependent. For example, S1 with its original usb-c to lightning cable connected to iPod touch was measuring only 3.85V and had issues at high volume in BAL (more current draw) where output became choppy. They updated the cable in S2 and under the same test conditions with S1 I measured a solid 5V.

I also verified Cayin optional usb-c to lightning cable and with iPod touch and RU6 it was measuring a solid 5V. I just don't recall exactly how much current it was syncing with balanced output connected to ATH-R70x, so have to double check it tonight.

Jan 27, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #1,795 of 3,665
received mine yesterday, sound is pretty nice, but i have sibilant highs with iems that should not sound like that at all. will the problem go away with time?
r-2r designs do benefit greatly from a burn/break in period, and will change quite a bit throughout the 1st 200 hrs of use.
Hrs 40-100 will show the most dramatic changes with some additional refinement coming later.
RU6 straight out of the box wasn't very impressive to me, nor was the R01 module. It was "OK", then it was holy sheeeeet!

Jan 27, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #1,797 of 3,665
One of my head-fi friend always tell me music always sounds better with a bit of alcohol.:)
You should listen with a little THC...
:L3000:

Jan 27, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #1,799 of 3,665
All members in Cayin will start our Chinese New Year holiday today. During the holiday, all orders, inquires and after sales service will be processed immediately when we resume office on 10th February. 2022.

Thanks for all the support and we wish everyone to stay safe, healthy, and to have a wonderful Year of Tiger.

2022 Chines New Year.jpg

PS. Unlike previous years, I'll will take a break during the Chinese New Year vacation. I'll only check on forum occasionally. Please pardon me if I didn't resposne to your exchanges or PM promptly.
Happy New Year Andy! Enjoy your holidays and time with your loved ones!

Jan 27, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #1,800 of 3,665
Thanks Twister6… I just thought power demand would be the same independent of the source, but maybe that’s something to check as well(?)

my R70x only has SE cable, so even at volume 74 from SE, RU6 doesn't draw more than 130mA from iPod touch. I switched to Empyrean which I have with balanced cable, and did the same, pushing it harder, way beyond listening volume from BAL output with RU6 connected to iPod touch (through multimeter dongle), and noticed that as I pushed it beyond volume 60 on RU6, the current went up from 130mA to 140mA. No issues playing music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back