Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Jan 27, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #1,801 of 3,665
Jan 28, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #1,802 of 3,665
received mine yesterday, sound is pretty nice, but i have sibilant highs with iems that should not sound like that at all. will the problem go away with time?
Interesting that you mentioned this, yesterday I had an audition of the RU6, to my surprise I had the same finding with sibilance pairing with FiiO FHE and Westone W60 earphones (both not normally sibilant), only until I tried UM Mest MkII was the treble at an acceptable level, Mest II is known for it's nice treble. Checking with the shop, the testing unit is only for auditioning purposes for some hours, that did not go through a proper burn-in process. I was all set to bring the RU6 home, but this was a deal breaker for me and completely different to the reviews I've read.

Pls keep us updated if burn-in or usage over time improves on this.

Jan 28, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #1,803 of 3,665
For those who are interested in Lightning to USB C cable for their iPhone-RU6, I just received the cable from Oeaudio this morning. When I unboxed it, I was surprised to see how short it is. It is a good thing because so far I was using the camera adapter cable-USB A to USB C of RU6-USB C to USB C cable USB C cable. This combination of cables and adapters can become very cumbersome. It is also a bad thing because 35$ for such a short cable is crazy expensive
My first impressions of the sound with this cable: it is more bright (has more air), has less body than the combination of cable-adapters. The bass is also less tight. I'm a bit puzzled about this cable
In summary, if for you RU6 is too warm sounding and does not have enough 'air', you can balance with this cable. If the sound changes in the future, I will let you know

Jan 28, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #1,804 of 3,665
For those who are interested in Lightning to USB C cable for their iPhone-RU6, I just received the cable from Oeaudio this morning. When I unboxed it, I was surprised to see how short it is. It is a good thing because so far I was using the camera adapter cable-USB A to USB C of RU6-USB C to USB C cable USB C cable. This combination of cables and adapters can become very cumbersome. It is also a bad thing because 35$ for such a short cable is crazy expensive
My first impressions of the sound with this cable: it is more bright (has more air), has less body than the combination of cable-adapters. The bass is also less tight. I'm a bit puzzled about this cable
In summary, if for you RU6 is too warm sounding and does not have enough 'air', you can balance with this cable. If the sound changes in the future, I will let you know

Not sure if camera adapter contributes to some changes, maybe some reflection in digital signal due to impedance mismatch which affects the sound, somehow. But when I compared original Cayin vs OE Audio vs DDHifi (all usb-c to usb-c), everything sounded nearly the same to my ears. When straightened, OE Audio is exactly the same length as stock cable, but it is very stiff due to extra shielding. Also, very high quality build and nice shiny connectors.

cayin-ru6-15.jpg

Jan 28, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #1,805 of 3,665
Not sure if camera adapter contributes to some changes, maybe some reflection in digital signal due to impedance mismatch which affects the sound, somehow. But when I compared original Cayin vs OE Audio vs DDHifi (all usb-c to usb-c), everything sounded nearly the same to my ears. When straightened, OE Audio is exactly the same length as stock cable, but it is very stiff due to extra shielding. Also, very high quality build and nice shiny connectors.

cayin-ru6-15.jpg
I agree, it is a high quality build cable. I was hesitating between Oeaudio and DD Hifi that you have. Which one do you prefer?

Jan 28, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #1,807 of 3,665
r-2r designs do benefit greatly from a burn/break in period, and will change quite a bit throughout the 1st 200 hrs of use.
Hrs 40-100 will show the most dramatic changes with some additional refinement coming later.
RU6 straight out of the box wasn't very impressive to me, nor was the R01 module. It was "OK", then it was holy sheeeeet!
oh, i listened mine only for like 20+ hours, ok. ill let it a chance, gonna listen for 150+ hours more.

Jan 28, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #1,808 of 3,665
Jan 28, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #1,809 of 3,665
Not my review but a very interesting one by archimago including measurements
https://archimago.blogspot.com/2022/01/review-measurements-cayin-ru6-r-2r-usb.html
Fascinating read! Way too technical for me but all of my questions about the RU6 are answered in this review.

RU6 is indeed a true NOS DAC and measures as such.
Oversampling is useless for DSD sources.
However DSD 64 is converted to 352.8 khz and not 384 khz which is better.

The DAC can't benefit from Hi Res audio sources as its resolution is fairly limited

None of that is a deal breaker especially when one considers it is a truly unique product.

Even if it's the sonic equivalent of an early 90s CD player, that's precisely why I love its sound. I even compared it to one in a previous post. Glad to see thoroughly run tests confirm what my ears have been telling me for weeks.

Jan 28, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #1,811 of 3,665
I’m back. Laylas are back… does the RU6 randomly shut off or crap out once it hits a certain temperature? Just curious. Mine is suddenly doing this… just since I plugged it in and started listening for… an hour maybe?
Never had this experience before, although I have spent several hours per day binge-listening on it, especially during the first month I had it.

Jan 28, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #1,812 of 3,665
I’m back. Laylas are back… does the RU6 randomly shut off or crap out once it hits a certain temperature? Just curious. Mine is suddenly doing this… just since I plugged it in and started listening for… an hour maybe?
I have never had it cut out, even during 3 hour listening sessions or longer through an iPhone 12 Pro to the RU6 to Etymotic EVO IEMs with a balanced SuperBaX cable from the 4.4mm jack. My volume level is usually around 36 to 39 with this setup.

Jan 28, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #1,813 of 3,665
It may off due to connection unstable when touching the jack or something similarly.
Shutoff due to heat is never found on mine, even in some case high temperature reach apprx 43 or more (usually less than 38)
It is rare or very rare the heat up happen after 2 month (to be exact, I hadnt found it again)

Jan 28, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #1,814 of 3,665
Ok. Here’s my final post on this whole entire situation. I’m blaming nobody in particular… but here goes.. as I have nothing to lose here…

I’m 100% frustrated with the amp cut out crap. It’s old and I’m done with that. I’ve thrown tons of money toward this. When the amp works, it sounds amazing. Top notch… then suddenly it just poops the bed.

Now… portability? There is none with the amp. I have to constantly be tied to a charger, if I use my phone. I can hook it to the iPad just fine.. and that’s that.

My apple lightning headphone dongle for less than $10 after tax has been 100% most reliable for me.
I’ve tried most every solution I know of….

Maybe I’ll just do a desktop amp… I mean… it almost can’t be any less reliable than what I’m working with right now. If I’m not going to be portable… might as well go big. Ya know??
This whole thing breaks my heart, but it is what it is… I’ll just cut my losses. Enjoy my Laylas with what I have.

Have a good night…. Zach

Jan 28, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #1,815 of 3,665
It may off due to connection unstable when touching the jack or something similarly.
Shutoff due to heat is never found on mine, even in some case high temperature reach apprx 43 or more (usually less than 38)
It is rare or very rare the heat up happen after 2 month (to be exact, I hadnt found it again)
Connection where??? Everything is brand new… I just bought a new apple dongle today.. just to make sure. I’m done throwing money at it. 😢😢😢

Users who are viewing this thread

Back