Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Jan 29, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #1,831 of 3,665
I’m back. Laylas are back… does the RU6 randomly shut off or crap out once it hits a certain temperature? Just curious. Mine is suddenly doing this… just since I plugged it in and started listening for… an hour maybe?
Mine never shut off randomly, but it does hiccup in some specific app setting. I use my RU6 with Sony Music Centre app on both PC and Xperia 10 ii phone without issue, but when I use the RU6 with Samsung Note 10+ and Music Centre music will stop randomly every few minutes. I then switched to Samsung Music on the Note 10+ and the issue went away. Which setup are you using?

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #1,832 of 3,665
My detailed setup is : RU6 => 4.4mm to 3.5mm balanced cable =>MT-601 =>RCA to 3.5mm cable =>FiiO Q3=> Focal Elegia.
I'm connecting the RCA part of the cable my tube amp line out, making it a proper pre-amp, then the 3.5mm plug goes into the Q3 aux in to use the device in amp mode.
With the pre-amp level set to max, RU6 on NOS mode with low gain, around 50-51 is enough volume. I can fine tune it with the Q3 volume knob
As I understand here in your setup we have the RU6 for R2R DAC, and then MT-601 as pre-amp, and Q3 in amp only mode. That is interesting I have never tried anything like that.
Why did you use the Q3 instead of the MT-601 for amp here? Is it for more driving power or something else like synergy pairing?

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #1,833 of 3,665
Maybe this is due to issues with host's software/app settings?
I actually had the RU6 running off a Shanling M0 DAP, was set to get the RU6 for at home/high quanlity listening (and was hoping to pick up the Mest II as well which fell through too but that's a different story)
At the same time I was looking for a more entry level dongle for the M0 since the 3.5mm out's acting weird, (off topic the Shanling UA2 and UA1 actually sounds really good and worked beautifully with the M0)

IMAG0482 PS Head Fi.jpg

Still reading a bunch of forum threads and reviews to try and understand the sibilance issue..
Only possibilities I could think of:
1. That particular RU6 haven't enough burn-in time. OR
2. The M0 wasn't feeding enough power for the RU6 to shine... thinking back, I forgot to test the RU6 with my phone and laptop (which I had with me, gahhh)
3. RU6 only show it's true colour with TOTL pairings, the FHE/W60 are not good enough? that's not the impression I get from all the reviews and owner impressions...

Still really want the RU6..

Thanks for the thought anyhow..

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #1,834 of 3,665
As I understand here in your setup we have the RU6 for R2R DAC, and then MT-601 as pre-amp, and Q3 in amp only mode. That is interesting I have never tried anything like that.
Why did you use the Q3 instead of the MT-601 for amp here? Is it for more driving power or something else like synergy pairing?
Yes, MT-601 is the pre-amp and Q3 is the amp.
The reason I connected them in this order is to be able to use the balanced output of the Q3. Focal Elegia just sound better with a balanced connection. (Or maybe I have never tried a really good single ended output).
Also I believe that tubes perform better when used at the pre-amp stage

Jan 29, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #1,835 of 3,665
New found on connection: some app as NeutronMp or UAPP request the right for directly access and control usb port.
So need to close the app BF plug it RU6 again!!
Example, Uapp ask the control right and I click Yes, then using it. Now unplug the cable and plug again.
My phone lost control of usb port and it WON'T found that Ru6 was plugged.
UAPP still pause after first unplug so it wont found the ru6 too.
Ten tried and all fail.

For that kind of app, before pluging the cable, we need:
1)close the app, or
2)click play (it plays sound to device's speaker, yes)

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #1,836 of 3,665
New found on connection: some app as NeutronMp or UAPP request the right for directly access and control usb port.
So need to close the app BF plug it RU6 again!!
Example, Uapp ask the control and I click Yes, then using it. Now unplug the cable and plug again.
Your phone lost control of usb port and it WON'T found that Ru6 was plugged.
Ten tried and all fail.
If you are on Android, you have the option to give the app this permission once and for all, so that it won't have to ask you each time you plug your DAC

Jan 29, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #1,837 of 3,665
If you are on Android, you have the option to give the app this permission once and for all, so that it won't have to ask you each time you plug your DAC
Known that but I dont set it.
Bcs I want to play youtube via ru6 too.
When plug in, just click any where on scr but not OK or Yes button if I wanna use youtube.

Jan 29, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #1,838 of 3,665
That's a really big conclusion in that article.
Agreed
Fascinating read! Way too technical for me but all of my questions about the RU6 are answered in this review.

RU6 is indeed a true NOS DAC and measures as such.
Oversampling is useless for DSD sources.
However DSD 64 is converted to 352.8 khz and not 384 khz which is better.

The DAC can't benefit from Hi Res audio sources as its resolution is fairly limited

None of that is a deal breaker especially when one considers it is a truly unique product.

Even if it's the sonic equivalent of an early 90s CD player, that's precisely why I love its sound. I even compared it to one in a previous post. Glad to see thoroughly run tests confirm what my ears have been telling me for weeks.
To me that article puts not only the RU6 but the whole DAC industry in a new perspective.

Jan 29, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #1,839 of 3,665
Agreed

To me that article puts not only the RU6 but the whole DAC industry in a new perspective.
How so? Were those measurements so much surprising to you?

Jan 29, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #1,841 of 3,665
I actually had the RU6 running off a Shanling M0 DAP, was set to get the RU6 for at home/high quanlity listening (and was hoping to pick up the Mest II as well which fell through too but that's a different story)
At the same time I was looking for a more entry level dongle for the M0 since the 3.5mm out's acting weird, (off topic the Shanling UA2 and UA1 actually sounds really good and worked beautifully with the M0)

IMAG0482 PS Head Fi.jpg

Still reading a bunch of forum threads and reviews to try and understand the sibilance issue..
Only possibilities I could think of:
1. That particular RU6 haven't enough burn-in time. OR
2. The M0 wasn't feeding enough power for the RU6 to shine... thinking back, I forgot to test the RU6 with my phone and laptop (which I had with me, gahhh)
3. RU6 only show it's true colour with TOTL pairings, the FHE/W60 are not good enough? that's not the impression I get from all the reviews and owner impressions...

Still really want the RU6..

Thanks for the thought anyhow..
Try ibasso dc05 for entry level dongle 3.5

Jan 29, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #1,842 of 3,665
It was surprising to me! I understand that it’s debatable as to whether most expensive dongle DACs can resolve 20bits, but his measurements would imply the RU6 can barely resolve 16bits (CD quality)…
The bit resolution is just one aspect. Many 24 or 32 bit are only in the paper

Jan 29, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #1,843 of 3,665
It was surprising to me! I understand that it’s debatable as to whether most expensive dongle DACs can resolve 20bits, but his measurements would imply the RU6 can barely resolve 16bits (CD quality)…
Yes, but does it change how enjoyable this DAC is to listen to?
Before I read the measurements results, I knew that the difference between CD quality and Hi Res or even DSD was unusually thin on this DAC. What I didn't know is that CD quality is the ceiling for RU6, not the floor.
But, again, it is my DAC of choice to listen to FLAC without any kind of oversampling going on.
For DSD, I would rather pick my Hidizs S9 because the RU6 cannot reproduce the dynamic range correctly.
I would really like to try a R2R DAC with native DSD support, but that is expensive

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #1,844 of 3,665
Yes, but does it change how enjoyable this DAC is to listen to?
Before I read the measurements results, I knew that the difference between CD quality and Hi Res or even DSD was unusually thin on this DAC. What I didn't know is that CD quality is the ceiling for RU6, not the floor.
But, again, it is my DAC of choice to listen to FLAC without any kind of oversampling going on.
For DSD, I would rather pick my Hidizs S9 because the RU6 cannot reproduce the dynamic range correctly.
I would really like to try a R2R DAC with native DSD support, but that is expensive

Personally, I enjoyed the output from the RU6 into my shure headcans, even though I thought it made the result ~2~4db warmer than my headcans already were. Still, I adapted to it, and ultimately found nothing wrong with it. 16bit CD quality is perfectly capable of the full experience, and that includes the output from the RU6. However, the RU6 does limit your ability to properly marry its output with whatever IEM or headphones you best enjoy, because it insists on a untouched bitstream at maximum volume, and offers no equalization for better matching all your ear-devices.

I believe 16bits is all that’s required for musicians to deliver what they wanted to your ears to hear… as a final product. However, they didn’t get to the final product via 16bits. Similarly, if you feel modifying that 16bit result so as to better match a variety of ear-devices (i.e., equalization), then you want the amplifier working with a DAC that had as many bits to work with as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back