Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Jan 25, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #1,771 of 3,665
Measurements have never played well with r-2r and don’t really matter. Your ears are the only things that matter.
Music is pleasurable due to favorable impurities and happy accidents. Tubes, distortion, etc. without those “errors” its just flat and boring.
If it was all mathematically perfect, it would suck.
Perfect
And edit: with uapp is a remarkable portable system and i repeat portable

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #1,772 of 3,665
Measurements have never played well with r-2r and don’t really matter. Your ears are the only things that matter.
Music is pleasurable due to favorable impurities and happy accidents. Tubes, distortion, etc. without those “errors” its just flat and boring.
If it was all mathematically perfect, it would suck.
One of my head-fi friend always tell me music always sounds better with a bit of alcohol. I personally don't drink but I'll trust his words for it LOL.
Leave all those aside, I have never seen a manufacturer that has been constantly engaging with their customers in Headfi as much you do Andy.
Yes definitely much appreciated on all the communications. A lot of companies kind of get lost touch with their customers once a product is released. It's amazing that you're still here answering all the questions.
You have been at the forefront of connecting with everyone's queries and answering them with best intention and knowledge/expertise you have. You are also very open and transparent about what the product can or cannot do, not just for RU6, but for other products in your lineup as well.

I believe you will retain the user base as long this connect (conversations in Headfi) exists. Keep continuing the good work !
And it's even more impressive that you guys are 100% transparent about everything. Not hiding / dodging certain topics like some other companies out there.

Much appreciated!!!

Oh and my RU6 should arrive this week, looking forward to it. :)

Jan 25, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #1,773 of 3,665
USB debugging is enabled in developer options, and still it doesnt work, correct ?

Not sure what other usb settings might be hidden in android.
USB debugging is enabled, yes. And it doesn't work most of the time. Sometimes it does.

Jan 25, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #1,774 of 3,665
Plenty of good IEMs in the $200-300 price range. You've named some. My favorites are UM 3DT, 7hz Timeless. You can get an Oriolus Isabellae used for around $400. Blessing 2 Dusk is $329 new. Cheaper if you buy resale.

You can pair these with an Apple Dongle or something better for $100 like a Lotoo PAW S1 used.

I own a lot of TOTL IEMs and I would total endorse these products as being very good
No kidding, you are like the lord of all the IEMs I want to try out. 3DT and Isa are both on my list to check out.

Jan 25, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #1,775 of 3,665
No kidding, you are like the lord of all the IEMs I want to try out. 3DT and Isa are both on my list to check out.
Haha. We must be reading the same threads and listening to the same reviewers.

Jan 26, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #1,776 of 3,665
Well, to certain extend, RU6 is aimed at a very small niche market inside a niche market, we are not feature packed, we can't go wireless, we can't MQA, we can't EQ, we didn't mearsure well, .... and we are fairly expensive among Dongle DACs, so I am not surprised that we are not as popular as other Dongle DACs in the market. Besides, we don't have a social media team so not suprsied that you'll only find relevant discussion when you know where to look for.
And it's the nicest dongle DAC I've experienced so far. To add to the supposedly terrible technicalities of it, I was listening for a while with the Meze Elite direct from the RU-6 and enjoying it, even though there was quite a drop-off in bass compared to anything else in my main system. It just makes listening enjoyable, and how much something is enjoyable, can't be measured.

Jan 26, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #1,777 of 3,665
It just makes listening enjoyable, and how much something is enjoyable, can't be measured.
Oh you just wait ASR will come up with something. Something fancy sounding like emotional involvement index level (dub EIIL) LOL. :sweat_smile:

Also it's partially why I stuck with Dragonfly Red for so long over the years. Despite it being a bit outdated and not as resolving as newer dongle dacs, I just like how it sounds and how musical it is. I've tried really hard to replace it but always end up coming back to it despite owning more resolving units (i.e. Burson Playmate 2 + V6 opamps).

Though I have PEE51 coming in today and RU6 come in some point this week so let's see if they manage to finally convince me to switch.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #1,778 of 3,665
And it's the nicest dongle DAC I've experienced so far. To add to the supposedly terrible technicalities of it, I was listening for a while with the Meze Elite direct from the RU-6 and enjoying it, even though there was quite a drop-off in bass compared to anything else in my main system. It just makes listening enjoyable, and how much something is enjoyable, can't be measured.

Have you tried Elite with RU6+C9? While I don't have Elite, only Empyrean, adding C9 improves the sub-bass extension, adds more rumble, and overall, adds more weight and impact to the bass. Using it with my Android phone, HibyMusic app (Exclusive HQ USB audio access enabled, usb output set to USB Audio Performance mode, and USB Audio vol locked to max), RU6 set to 100, and C9 in Line Input and controlling the volume. I also tried C9 in Pre-Amp mode while adjusting the volume from RU6, but that didn't sound as good with C9, resolution was reduced. So, C9 Line Input is the best with RU6 (dongle set at max vol) if you need extra boost with more demanding headphones.

cayin-ru6-28.jpg

Jan 26, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #1,779 of 3,665
Agree with currawong. RU6 makes all my iems sound very enjoyable. I reach for it almost always now.

Jan 27, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #1,782 of 3,665
Yes, RU6 can sound warm. If you are worried about RU6 muddying the Bass, it won't. If you find the IER-M7 is too laid back in the treble region then no, RU6 might not be a better pairing.
so, for ier-m7, you can tell RU6 can't help its treble?

Jan 27, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #1,783 of 3,665
so, for ier-m7, you can tell RU6 can't help its treble?
I don't have the IER-M7 but judging by how the RU6 paired with my IEMs. It pairs better with more resolving, neutral or bright-neutral gear.

If the IER-M7 sounds warm to you with not enough Treble energy, you won't be as wowed by the overall synergy with the RU6.

Jan 27, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #1,784 of 3,665
I don't have the IER-M7 but judging by how the RU6 paired with my IEMs. It pairs better with more resolving, neutral or bright-neutral gear.

If the IER-M7 sounds warm to you with not enough Treble energy, you won't be as wowed by the overall synergy with the RU6.
Unless its the IER-M9 that hits the right sweet spot. Having the treble extension works in the favor.

Jan 27, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #1,785 of 3,665
For those who are interested, my full detailed review of RU6 is up! Enjoy the read :)

cayin-ru6-06.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back