Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Dec 26, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #1,231 of 3,665
Good to know that it is finally working out for you. I have no experience with JH Layla but does it need this much juice? May be you are listening outdoors? I’m low level listener and max I have gone on volume is 30 and even that got louder for me personally
Well, I have hearing issues. But on ANOTHER note… I’m having to get impressions done again and the Laylas reshelled… or fixed. They’re under warranty still.

The sealing isn’t amazing… but when I had impressions done… the bite block, that had me bite it to where my mouth isn’t open much. Well, I’m a mouth breather… when I open my mouth… it breaks the seal down deep. So…. Maybe after that, I’ll be fine with lower volume. 😊

Dec 26, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #1,232 of 3,665
I thought charging when listening to RU6 only happens occasionally?
For me and my iPhone, it’s constant.. that way I have no worries on cutout. The Cayin cable works, if I’m on the go and am very careful with the volume…

I’m finally happy that I have a working solution. Now I’d like to have just a little longer USBc-USBc cable, but still works fine. Even an inch or 2 longer would be nice.

Dec 26, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #1,233 of 3,665
Not the Ananda, but I am currently using it with the new Arya Stealth magnets, and they rock together in a way that is nothing less than epic.
Hmmm interesting that you find the Arya to rock with the RU6 @213mw while I find the R01 @430mw to lack just that tiny little bit of oomph on the Arya 🤔

Dec 26, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #1,234 of 3,665
How much is the OI of this device? My ZMF VC sounds good out of this dongle and I wonder if balanced out has slightly higher OI assisting my VC
Not sure about OI (output impedance?), but RU6's balanced out do have more driving power compared to single end. with my 64 Audio U12 IEM, with single ended I set volume to ~20, and with balanced out I set volume to ~15

Dec 26, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #1,235 of 3,665
Any chance we'll see other colors for the cases?

On the one hand, there's a design which looks as HiFiesque as possible for a dongle...
... and on the other there's two cases in bright colors looking-like Legos :p

While I didn't care for the green case of the N3 Pro, the one we saw for the RU6 was nice.
My review: https://uc.xyz/167fKi?pub=link

Dec 26, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #1,236 of 3,665
Hmmm interesting that you find the Arya to rock with the RU6 @213mw while I find the R01 @430mw to lack just that tiny little bit of oomph on the Arya 🤔

I guess it's all a matter of taste. I think the RU6 manages my Sundaras just about but does lose a bit of low frequency dynamics. I probably wouldn't be satisfied with it driving the Arya.

Dec 26, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #1,237 of 3,665
I find RU6 sounding best when fed from SP2000 😂
All the credits goes to better time domain handling over USB I believe.

Dec 26, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #1,238 of 3,665
I'm considering buying the RU6 but since I'm new to the concept I'm currently reading the whole thread. Being just over halfway I have 2 questions that I'd like to see answered without another day of reading as I'm getting excited! I'd appreciate it if anyone could help on these questions:

1. Being permanently travelling I won't have access to a computer. Can firmware be installed using my Android phone or do I need a computer for that? In fact, can I even use it straight out of the box not having a computer for initial setup?

2. I'm using the PowerAmp app and I'm very happy with it from a usability point of view, but I do know UAPP sounds a bit better. Will the RU6 avoid the upsampling that PowerAmp uses and take the signal straight from Android? That would be a win-win for me. Or will it get the upsampled PowerAmp signal instead, rendering NOS pretty much useless?

Tnx much...

drftr

Dec 26, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #1,239 of 3,665
I'm considering buying the RU6 but since I'm new to the concept I'm currently reading the whole thread. Being just over halfway I have 2 questions that I'd like to see answered without another day of reading as I'm getting excited! I'd appreciate it if anyone could help on these questions:

1. Being permanently travelling I won't have access to a computer. Can firmware be installed using my Android phone or do I need a computer for that? In fact, can I even use it straight out of the box not having a computer for initial setup?

2. I'm using the PowerAmp app and I'm very happy with it from a usability point of view, but I do know UAPP sounds a bit better. Will the RU6 avoid the upsampling that PowerAmp uses and take the signal straight from Android? That would be a win-win for me. Or will it get the upsampled PowerAmp signal instead, rendering NOS pretty much useless?

Tnx much...

drftr
About point 1 why you are concerned about firmware? For now there is no new firmware

Dec 26, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #1,240 of 3,665

Tnx much...

drftr
1. Yes, you can use it straight out of box. No setup required.
2. This DAC has 2 modes - NOS and OS. In NOS mode the dac wont oversample the signal that your device will send. I haven’t used poweramp but if poweramp sends the oversampled signal then that’s what the DAC will get. You have to find a way to switch it off in the player itself.

Dec 26, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #1,241 of 3,665
1. Yes, you can use it straight out of box. No setup required.
2. This DAC has 2 modes - NOS and OS. In NOS mode the dac wont oversample the signal that your device will send. I haven’t used poweramp but if poweramp sends the oversampled signal then that’s what the DAC will get. You have to find a way to switch it off in the player itself.
It can't be switched off in most apps actually, so I hoped the RU6 was able to get the sound signal directly from Android (like UAPP does) while using the functionality of the PowerAmp app. Hope anyone can chime in on this one...

Tnx!

drftr

Dec 26, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #1,243 of 3,665
I have the Lotoo Paw S2 and the L&P W2.

Is this one worth buying?

Dec 26, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #1,244 of 3,665
Dec 26, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #1,245 of 3,665

Attachments

• 100641bxbcoub75ud3uoux.jpg
    100641bxbcoub75ud3uoux.jpg
    442.6 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread