Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Dec 26, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #1,246 of 3,679
After reading all 84 pages may I conclude we haven't found an Android USB-C charger/splitter that has 5V output power without adding DAC nonsense, that allows us to charge the phone wired while simultaneously using the RU6?

That's more than a bit annoying to be honest; not even because of the reading hours involved. It pretty much makes long listening sessions impossible 😥

drftr

Dec 26, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #1,247 of 3,679
I'm considering buying the RU6 but since I'm new to the concept I'm currently reading the whole thread. Being just over halfway I have 2 questions that I'd like to see answered without another day of reading as I'm getting excited! I'd appreciate it if anyone could help on these questions:

1. Being permanently travelling I won't have access to a computer. Can firmware be installed using my Android phone or do I need a computer for that? In fact, can I even use it straight out of the box not having a computer for initial setup?

2. I'm using the PowerAmp app and I'm very happy with it from a usability point of view, but I do know UAPP sounds a bit better. Will the RU6 avoid the upsampling that PowerAmp uses and take the signal straight from Android? That would be a win-win for me. Or will it get the upsampled PowerAmp signal instead, rendering NOS pretty much useless?

Tnx much...

drftr
You may use RU-6 withOUT any installation in iOS and Android.
UAPP is fine and, according to me, a must since it goes around the iIOS and Android sound and bit rate twisting. It works fine for me with my in phone libraries and Tidal, has EQ, bit rate perfect and others. It is very stable but does not work off line and has tiny in-app one time pay.

Dec 26, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #1,248 of 3,679
I have the Lotoo Paw S2 and the L&P W2.

Is this one worth buying?
Sure if you are interested, For my taste its better than w2 and s1 (I don't want to get into collecting dongles, hence no info on the S2)

Dec 26, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #1,249 of 3,679
After reading all 84 pages may I conclude we haven't found an Android USB-C charger/splitter that has 5V output power without adding DAC nonsense, that allows us to charge the phone wired while simultaneously using the RU6?

That's more than a bit annoying to be honest; not even because of the reading hours involved. It pretty much makes long listening sessions impossible 😥

drftr
A little bird told me that DDHifi will release a new version of their awesome TC28i with usb c and two female ports, effectively becoming the most compact, solid, well-made usb c splitter that exists. Unfortunately I don’t have any other details 😭 It will be perfect for the RU6, my Walkman, my iPad Pro…

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #1,250 of 3,679
It can't be switched off in most apps actually, so I hoped the RU6 was able to get the sound signal directly from Android (like UAPP does) while using the functionality of the PowerAmp app. Hope anyone can chime in on this one...

Tnx!

drftr
Neutron, Uapp, Onkyo HF, Maiden audio... are some of group 1.
Jetaudio, VLC, Power amp ... and tons of app are in group2.

Idk what's "direct" in your post but seems you must change your player app to some in group1, a group that bypass Android audio stack.
For ex. if you plug a ext dac into usb port, Uapp or NeutronMp pop up to ask the right of controlling. Since then (after click Yez) you found all system audio effect such as EQ, DSP are no longer affect/altering the output audio.
Ofcouse EQ, DSP OF THE APP is available, when you need it

Dec 26, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #1,251 of 3,679
You may use RU-6 withOUT any installation in iOS and Android.
UAPP is fine and, according to me, a must since it goes around the iIOS and Android sound and bit rate twisting. It works fine for me with my in phone libraries and Tidal, has EQ, bit rate perfect and others. It is very stable but does not work off line and has tiny in-app one time pay.
What about for Windows? I think their product page says Windows OS need to download a driver made for RU6 from official website.

Or is it one of those if you want to go higher than certain sampling rate, otherwise plug and play?

Dec 26, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #1,252 of 3,679

drftr
I forgot… some in the forums for my 40th anniversary Walkman swear by this splitter and the RU6 comes with a c to a adapter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KPD5S8...abc_8QZ8YT8D9Q6XXEGV5NDH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Has it yet been said that the RU6 is the best DAC dongle? This thing renders beautifully rich sound. My only longing is for it to have been truly balanced. I’m over it as soon as I listen again lol

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #1,253 of 3,679

drftr

Not true, man. My post you reacted to today, that $15 splitter works perfectly. Whatever they talk about in the description, either something got lost in translation or that functionality is bypassed because I have been using it for almost a week, and found no issues connected to my Galaxy phone while charging it at the same time.

Dec 26, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #1,254 of 3,679
And has anyone used RU6 with Hifiman Ananda?

Thanks!

RU6-Ananda.jpg

I'm using the RU6 with Hifiman Ananda and I think overall it does a solid job.
I have a diverse taste of music with classical music, metal, jazz, pop etc. and so far it handles my library just fine. The music is enjoyable and I haven't noticed that RU6 did anything wrong. The sounding is fairly accurate and lively (my setting: high gain + vol ~60-70 + NOS).

Compared to my daily portable combo Sony NW-A35 + PHA-1A, the Sony one sounds a little bit cleaner, has a little bit more details and much finer volume control. But then the Sony one is also bulkier and they needs to be charged while the RU6 use battery from sources (phone, laptop, tablet, etc) directly. Considering all pros & cons I think the RU6 is at an advantage here (enjoyable sound + tiny footprint + no battery + USB-C)

One thing I noticed is that different devices handle the RU6 differently. I tested the RU6 on my Sony Xperia X10 II phone, iPad Air 4, and LG Gram laptop and they all handle the RU6 smoothly, while the Samsung Note 10+ produces hiccup once in a while (there is a short stopping now and then, randomly but fairly frequent, I have no idea why). Also, I tried the RU6 on my friend's phone, Xiaomi something I don't know the model, and it crashed the phone, triggered some beeping alarm that won't go off until we switched the phone off. That happened in the public and gave us a hard time trying to deal with it while avoiding stares from people around.

Dec 26, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #1,255 of 3,679
Not true, man. My post you reacted to today, that $15 splitter works perfectly. Whatever they talk about in the description, either something got lost in translation or that functionality is bypassed because I have been using it for almost a week, and found no issues connected to my Galaxy phone while charging it at the same time.
How did you find out the DAC isn't doing anything? It says the built-in Realtek DAC can handle 24 bit / 96 kHz which at least suggests something is in there and that it limits the signal passing through.

After reading the bad reviews I will try to find something that lasts a bit longer and comes without a DAC. I don't need a DAC in my phone plus one in the dongle plus one in the dongle for the dongle :wink:

drftr

Dec 26, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #1,256 of 3,679
How did you find out the DAC isn't doing anything? It says the built-in Realtek DAC can handle 24 bit / 96 kHz which at least suggests something is in there and that it limits the signal passing through.

After reading the bad reviews I will try to find something that lasts a bit longer and comes without a DAC. I don't need a DAC in my phone plus one in the dongle plus one in the dongle for the dongle :wink:

drftr

I was researching this topic and apparently USB-C can support "audio accessory mode" to send the analog signal over the digital D+/D- data pins of the connector. Perhaps, that is one of the operating modes if the DAC built into that splitter detects that you connected earphones and switches to that mode. Otherwise, when you connect a DAC, it will operate in a default mode, sending digital audio data over usb-c interface to be decoded and converted to analog inside of the external dongle such as RU6.

Dec 27, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #1,257 of 3,679
Hmmm interesting that you find the Arya to rock with the RU6 @213mw while I find the R01 @430mw to lack just that tiny little bit of oomph on the Arya 🤔
.None of this surprises me, although I find rationalizations and evaluations based solely on statistics and measurements to be somewhat limited. Still keep in mind that :

1. this is the Stealth magnets Arya, which is a lot easier to drive than the previous 2 iterations. The RU6 drives it effortlessly with a lot of headroom left, and without showing the slightest sign of straining...

2. I am using a Norne Audio Silvergarde 4 8 wire to drive my Aryas, and that this 8-wire version is a beast of a headphone cable which is capable of unlocking details, technicalities, and levels of performance in *any* headphones that the usual stock cables are often incapable of matching, however hard they try...

3. I have personally never heard the R01 in my own system and with my gear, and therefore I cannot speak to how it might compare favorably or not with the RU6 in my system. In that sense, if this is merely an experience of "ignorance is bliss," then so be it, since I am not inclined to exchange this kind of bliss with any other kind I know nothing about yet, until I concretely know better.

4. This is about the RU6, a tiny $250 dongle, and its performance, as compared to other rigs worth more than 20 x its value, hence a small "miracle" when judged in relationship to the performance it can work up as compared to all the 'big boys.' There would be nothing exceptionally interesting, or worth being excited about if this were the performance of another rig that was worth say 5k or more.

On the other hand, I do have desktop rigs, such as an Yggy A2 with a Pathos InPol Ear, and a Sonnet Audio Morpheus with a Niimbus US4, which I routinely use with such Headphones as the Susvara, the LCD-5, and the Abyss 1266 TC, and they do provide legitimate templates of audio goodness against which I might compare the performance of the RU6/Arya Stealth magnets pairing. It is in the light of such comparisons that I find the RU6/Arya Stealth magnets to Rock my world, without necessarily implying that the RU6 exactly matches those other big boy rigs in performance, and even if I have not had the luck of listening to the R0!, which I would like to do, when/if I get the chance.

In the meantime, I think your mileage may legitimately vary, depending on how your R01 sounds within the chains in which it is deployed at your end. Speaking of chains, I think they do make a significant impact on the performance of their individual components, a fact which renders an evaluation of any individual component unreliable and suspect, when it is done as if they're performing outside a specific chain. There is also the matter of your personal tastes and preferences, which I have no expertise to assess.

With that said, when I say the Arya and RU6 pairing rocks to my ears as opposed or compared to the performance of other chains I am familiar with, I do not feel I am unduly exaggerating any aspect of my experience, as this pairing indeed rocks my ears. There is no denying that. I can't stop listening to the RU6 paired with either the Arya Stealth Magnets or the LCD-5. It is as simple as that. Since the RU6 arrived, I have been ignoring both my Susvara and the 1266 TC because I think they're, first, too hard to drive to make any sense trying to pair them with the RU6. On the other hand, I have been enjoying the RU6 + Arya/LCD-5 pairings so much that I have not even once missed listening to either the Susvara or the 1266 TC, although I remain aware of what both these cans are capable of, which is a lot. The important thing is that there is nothing in my listening to the RU6 Arya or LCD-5 pairings to convince me that my enjoyment is illegitimate or illusory. I am just having a great time with them, and I feel it is a bit disingenuous to spoil or shortchange that enjoyment with futile speculations about what other "better" or "lesser" chains might produce.

Of course, I do respect the integrity of the experience you report with the R01, which you find to be somewhat subpar, sadly. I wish i could tell you why, which I can't since I am not familiar with the R01 itself or the chain in which it is deployed at your end.

I do not find it entirely constructive or helpful to allow that piece of news to spoil my enjoyment of what i have in hand at the moment, especially if I do not know what I would think, were I to audition the R01 in my own system... i am also trying to wean myself off DAPs at the moment (I no longer listen to either my A & K Kann, or Kann Cube, which are both in excellent working order, but that is an entirely different kettle of fish, I suppose)

I have no expertise regarding how to make the R01 work more to your tastes, since I have no clue what your preferences are, and have never owned the R01. Maybe one day I shall cross paths with the R01 and either find it to be a little on the "meh" side, as you do now, or get my mind blown to smithereens by it, in spite of my current attitude regarding DAPs... We'll have to wait and see :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I see that my rant has been entirely too lengthy, maybe much more than I would have ideally liked. This probably has nothing to do with your comment, which may have just caught me at a time when I am feeling too loose-tongued and more longwinded than normal. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #1,260 of 3,679
I'm considering buying the RU6 but since I'm new to the concept I'm currently reading the whole thread. Being just over halfway I have 2 questions that I'd like to see answered without another day of reading as I'm getting excited! I'd appreciate it if anyone could help on these questions:

1. Being permanently travelling I won't have access to a computer. Can firmware be installed using my Android phone or do I need a computer for that? In fact, can I even use it straight out of the box not having a computer for initial setup?

2. I'm using the PowerAmp app and I'm very happy with it from a usability point of view, but I do know UAPP sounds a bit better. Will the RU6 avoid the upsampling that PowerAmp uses and take the signal straight from Android? That would be a win-win for me. Or will it get the upsampled PowerAmp signal instead, rendering NOS pretty much useless?

Tnx much...

drftr
RU6 and PowerAmp run well together. My Note 20 defaults to PowerAmp if I don't run the specific UAPpro driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back