Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Dec 27, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #1,276 of 3,685
A6 and A7 are USB 2.0 data line in USB-C definition. So the USB-C output from these mobile devices will forfeit USB 2.0 support which is not a big deal.

On the other hand, as long as you are not using A6 and A7 (or B6 and B7) in the splitter, you have bypassed the DAC already, am I correct with this assumption?
That would be my assumption as well but I have not verified it. That's why I said that is how its supposed to work.

Dec 27, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #1,277 of 3,685
Do you also have one in mind with 2 USB-C outputs instead of one being USB-A (and without DAC)? I would use it with a PD charger. I just had a look at Ugreen and DDhifi among others and then came across this Belkin splitter. It's more expensive but comes with 2 year warranty and having had some of their products in the past I have a bit more faith in them than in nameless Chifi brands to be honest. Do you think this would work:

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Splitter-Adapter-Headphone-Charging/dp/B086R4KX23/ref=sr_1_18?crid=JI2HUZ0OGWOM&keywords=usb-c+splitter+for+charging&qid=1640621848&sprefix=usb-c+splitter+,aps,182&sr=8-18&th=1

Tnx...

drftr
That's the only dual usb c splitter I found which seems to not have a DAC built in when I went looking for one as well.

I understand your sentiment about going with a known brand, however that Belkin splitter has a horrible reputation. But you can give it a shot if you want.

Dec 27, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #1,278 of 3,685
That's the only dual usb c splitter I found which seems to not have a DAC built in when I went looking for one as well.

I understand your sentiment about going with a known brand, however that Belkin splitter has a horrible reputation. But you can give it a shot if you want.
It's partly because this didn't give me much confidence. It's the one Alex posted earlier on. Not sure if I would want this in a multi-thousand dollar chain. But obviously when going for portability there's always a trade-off to be made.

Cable.png

drftr

Dec 27, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #1,279 of 3,685
I was researching this topic and apparently USB-C can support "audio accessory mode" to send the analog signal over the digital D+/D- data pins of the connector. Perhaps, that is one of the operating modes if the DAC built into that splitter detects that you connected earphones and switches to that mode. Otherwise, when you connect a DAC, it will operate in a default mode, sending digital audio data over usb-c interface to be decoded and converted to analog inside of the external dongle such as RU6.
If it bypasses the DAC with the RU6 connected then the RU6 would display DSD on a DSD filetype, for example, correct? Or could it be processing the DSD through the DAC and then handing off the processed DSD to the RU6? As I understand, no one has found a USB - C Data / USB - C charge splitter without a DAC yet, right?

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #1,282 of 3,685
It's partly because this didn't give me much confidence. It's the one Alex posted earlier on. Not sure if I would want this in a multi-thousand dollar chain. But obviously when going for portability there's always a trade-off to be made.

Cable.png

drftr
I see. Well USB just like HDMI has a whole lot of manufacturers which don't follow the specification for the protocol. What is shown in the Amazon review picture you attached is completely fine in regards to isolation between cables and many manufacturers use fiberglass in the center and ground wiring is always exposed. The cabling in that picture was not the reason the adapter did not work for this person.

What feels cheap and probably lead this person to cut the cable is the lack of shielding. Which many, many usb cable manufacturers do. Although that means the cable doesn't meet specification it doesn't pose a major issue other than being susceptible to RF interface as well as putting out minimal amounts of it's own. For example many specially made for audio usb cables do not use shielding.

The only thing which would cause issues to the devices the usb cable is attached to is if there is a connection bridge made during soldering. But that is quite rare to see from any manufacturer. The reason I think the cable in the review pictured did not work was because at one of the soldering points the cable was not soldered very well or broke right before one of the soldering points for one of the cables. Both of which would be hard to catch during QC. As it would pass QC shortly after manufacturing but once handled more would become completely disconnected or an intermittent connection dependent on cable positioning.

All that just goes to say in the end yes its better to go with know and/or trusted manufacturers if possible however that won't always mean you avoid the same types of issues or worse which happen with unknown brands. As I am not sure if you know, but major brands on small simple devices outsource many of the components to the same OEMs used by the unknown brands. In addition very few types of failures from USB cables lead to device damage.

Dec 27, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #1,283 of 3,685
I honestly can't tell whether a MIDI connection would be similar enough or not. I was lead to believe it works the way we would intend to use it because of this comment:

"Works as described, can use it to my Hugo DAC, send audio to it and keep my iPhone or iPad 2 charged. Appears high quality!"

But if he is somehow wrong, I am too!

Although I don't think we can expect such a thing from Cayin, I do think not having access to a more professional solution severely limits the use of a portable DAC, simply because it isn't really. I for one would hope in the near future products like these will either have a way to connect it to a battery or include a high quality cable that enables charging and playback at the same time. There's 2 choices really: Either you go for top sound quality and you end up with a desktop setup without compromise, or you go for portability without a compromise on portability. But the RU6 seems to be right in between, which obviously is great from a marketing point of view: Very good sound quality and a portable-ish solution for people who want to stop listening to music every few hours to recharge their phone.

I'll most likely hold off on embracing this as my solution of choice. Not because of the sound quality in which I have great faith, but because I don't want to depend on $3 splitter solutions in a multi kilobuck setup or stopping for an hour just to charge my phone. I'm sure there will be a top manifacturer soon enough to improve this now weakest link. Hopefully someone like @iFi audio can jump in and create a better connection solution for all of us.

drftr

Dec 27, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #1,284 of 3,685
I honestly can't tell whether a MIDI connection would be similar enough or not. I was lead to believe it works the way we would intend to use it because of this comment:

"Works as described, can use it to my Hugo DAC, send audio to it and keep my iPhone or iPad 2 charged. Appears high quality!"

Although I don't think we can expect such a thing from Cayin, I do think not having access to a more professional solution severely limits the use of a portable DAC, simply because it isn't really. I for one would hope in the near future products like these will either have a way to connect it to a battery or include a high quality cable that enables charging and playback at the same time. There's 2 choices really: Either you go for top sound quality and you end up with a desktop setup without compromise, or you go for portability without a compromise on portability. But the RU6 seems to be right in between, which obviously is great from a marketing point of view: Very good sound quality and a portable-ish solution for people who want to stop listening to music every few hours to recharge their phone.

I'll most likely hold off on embracing this as my solution of choice. Not because of the sound quality in which I have great faith, but because I don't want to depend on $3 splitter solutions in a multi kilobuck setup or stopping for an hour just to charge my phone. I'm sure there will be a top manifacturer soon enough to improve this now weakest link. Hopefully someone like @iFi audio can jump in and create a better connection solution for all of us.

drftr
I’m also crossing my fingers that DDHifi releases a TC28i USB-C male to two USB-C female adapter asap. What a compact and elegant solution that would be!

Dec 27, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #1,285 of 3,685
"Chief Propellerhead" was trying to use the headphone out side as a normal full usb c data out. The headphone out side on many of these adapters is not built for designed for the data transmission rates needed for other purposes. That is why I recommend those with full usb a implementation as they don't use chips and circuit design that is a blackbox and does not support all usb applications.

Dec 27, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #1,286 of 3,685

drftr
MIDI connections are different enough. What's wrong with using the usb adapters with usb a female on one side? Just wondering, as that meets your needs perfectly just is not as visually appealing.

Dec 27, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #1,287 of 3,685
MIDI connections are different enough. What's wrong with using the usb adapters with usb a female on one side? Just wondering, as that meets your needs perfectly just is not as visually appealing.
I just don't think it becomes a more failproof connection: An adapter, for a dongle, for a dongle. Believe me: If using this as a portable solution every single day while travelling you need back ups because they break when looking at them while you can't get them replaced easily. I'm probably better off simply accepting the crap sound quality of my phone and call it a day.

drftr

Dec 27, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #1,288 of 3,685
USB A on one side would be fine for my NW-A100TPS Walkman when I connect to a desktop DAC, but they haven’t yet worked. The charging takes over and data drops when you connect the charger. But for this RU6 it gets absurd to add their USBC to A adapter between their cable and the adapter which then converts it back to USB C for the Walkman. Visual I guess is one way to put it, but there is also a practical quality to minimal adapters and solders.

I was under the impression MIDI connections are just USB data. That’s what the RU6 needs.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #1,290 of 3,685
"Chief Propellerhead" was trying to use the headphone out side as a normal full usb c data out. The headphone out side on many of these adapters is not built for designed for the data transmission rates needed for other purposes. That is why I recommend those with full usb a implementation as they don't use chips and circuit design that is a blackbox and does not support all usb applications.
Sincerely, how is DSD 5.6, for example, not as high a data transmission rate as what a USB 2.0 MIDI connection would require?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back