Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Nov 17, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #136 of 3,666
@Andykong - any chance line-out functionality can be added via FW update in the future?
Also, any update on the price?

Nov 17, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #137 of 3,666
This is exciting! Wondering if it will be DSD capable as most R2R DAC's are not, at least not natively. Also hopeful it will have better power output balanced than most dongles. I'd love to try it with full-sized headphones (EG - Focal Clear MG, not too hard to drive) in addition to IEM's.

Nov 17, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #138 of 3,666
This is exciting! Wondering if it will be DSD capable as most R2R DAC's are not, at least not natively. Also hopeful it will have better power output balanced than most dongles. I'd love to try it with full-sized headphones (EG - Focal Clear MG, not too hard to drive) in addition to IEM's.
That's because R2R is for PCM (Pulse-Code Modulation) only while DSD is for SDM (Sigma-Delta Modulation) only. Therefore there is no such a thing as a 'native R2R DSD capable' DAC.

Nov 17, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #140 of 3,666
if it doesnt fly, power my city, incorporate a 20 band eq, double as a phono preamp, and costs 39.99 i’m not…
It CAN fly (across the room until it hits the wall), CAN power a VERY small city, incorporate ANY eq you want and double as anything you wish, but unfortunately $39.99 not gonna tick you box. Sorry... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Nov 17, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #143 of 3,666
50-70$ vs 200$+ 😅
I'm not sure of something like this happening.. at least not voluntarily lol. And hopefully the leather case is on the unit 😝

Yes chucking daps can be $$$ and dangerous. But I did throw an old iaudo (cowon) player across the room one time. It was tiny and suffered only minor cosmetic damage 💔

Nov 17, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #144 of 3,666

The R-2R technologies of RU6 is based on the R01 Audio Motherboard of N6ii DAP. The decoding circuit of R01 is strictly PCM only, DSD bitstream will convert to PCM in the Audio Bridge, and the oversampled to 24Bit/768kHz before feeding to R2R resistor network. (For more detail, please refer to R01 functional diagram). In short, DSD is supported through transcoding.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 17, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #145 of 3,666
Ha ha 😂 who here hasn't chucked electronics across the room in frustration. Especially controllers and gamesticks.
Well, anyone tried 14" CRT monitor? For the record, when I studied computer science in university, I learned FORTAN and COBAL. :wink:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 17, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #146 of 3,666
Well, anyone tried 14" CRT monitor? For the record, when I studied computer science in university, I learned FORTAN and COBAL. :wink:
You mean FORTRAN and COBOL... :wink:
(another CS major here...)

Nov 17, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #148 of 3,666
dongle is one of the best news in this tired and pumped market

Nov 17, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #149 of 3,666
@Andykong - any chance line-out functionality can be added via FW update in the future?
Also, any update on the price?

Not to annoy Andy, but I really think the LO feature would be a huge differentiator with the R2R. I think modularity is the future for portable audio. Having a tiny good quality DAC with an IEM acceptable amp that you can add a desktop amp to to scale up would be huge.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back