Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Jan 1, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #1,396 of 3,686
@Andykong I love my RU6 because it is exactly what I was looking for: a reasonable size USB-C dongle that works with my phones and laptops, easy to operate, plug and play and ignore just enjoy the music, AND it uses power from my devices directly so I don't have to charge it to use! If we add an extra mechanism for power in like a power bank or smth and make it bigger thr RU6 may lose its main selling point.
IMHO the RU6 is a great tiny device, perfect as it is! Cayin gained a new fan 🥰!

From a product developer point of view, the next viable step is a portable DAC/Amp similar to Chord Mojo. Trying to provide a work around solution to dongle DAC is not a viable product concept because iPhone or even Android can change their power management policy and invalidate the workaround solution anytime. Dongle DAC + portable DAC/Amp is a more reliable product combination that covers a larger customer base in our opinion.

Having said that, Cayin didn't have a portable DAC/Amp in current R&D plan. We just roll out the RU6 and we want to collect more information about this market before we make another move. The semiconductor and and electronic component market is very volatile in past two years, we need to take our time to formulate new product in order to control our risk at acceptable level.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 2, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #1,397 of 3,686
I agree on that, but Andy hasn't answered my question. Instead he made fun out of my water example. I prefer "I don't know" or "It's not possible" instead so that I can put it up for sale. I'm not here to waste anybody's time. I'm here to get my question answered, which I think should be possible on a forum. But if that's not acceptable then I have to give up.

drftr
My comment was not really pointed to you, as we had many different comments across many threads of new product releases with many different requests from the product being released. So it’s a general observation using Andy’s previous comment.

Jan 2, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #1,398 of 3,686
From a product developer point of view, the next viable step is a portable DAC/Amp similar to Chord Mojo. Trying to provide a work around solution to dongle DAC is not a viable product concept because iPhone or even Android can change their power management policy and invalidate the workaround solution anytime. Dongle DAC + portable DAC/Amp is a more reliable product combination that covers a larger customer base in our opinion.

Having said that, Cayin didn't have a portable DAC/Amp in current R&D plan. We just roll out the RU6 and we want to collect more information about this market before we make another move. The semiconductor and and electronic component market is very volatile in past two years, we need to take our time to formulate new product in order to control our risk at acceptable level.
That makes perfect sense Andy. You have a great product in the RU6. It is my perfect companion when I am on the road (together with my Hip Dac 2 though I tend to use the RU6 more often than not) whether this is plugged into my Win 10 PC or my iPhone. I love the sound and cannot imagine life on the road without it!!! Just take our suggestions (and criticisms) here as our personal wish lists but ultimately you and your team and the best judge of what the next product should be. Looking forward to it though!!!

Jan 2, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #1,399 of 3,686

R2R portable dac/amp with dedicated line out and Bluetooth LDAC/UAT transmission? 🙏 :)

Oh and tubes would be a bonus. Loved the way it was implemented on the N3Pro. It was perfect. 👌

Cayin R2D2
star-wars-r2d2.gif

not-the.gif

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #1,401 of 3,686
I have the drop 2.5mm balanced cable for my hd600s. Would getting a balanced 4.4mm adapter be kosher with this dongle, or should i go ahead and get a dedicated 4.4?
If you already have a good cable then just get an adapter.

Jan 3, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #1,402 of 3,686
I have the drop 2.5mm balanced cable for my hd600s. Would getting a balanced 4.4mm adapter be kosher with this dongle, or should i go ahead and get a dedicated 4.4?
I would imagine getting an adapter that would match the quality of the cable might be the easier and cheaper way to go. This is probably also the mmost sensible choice.

On the other hand (since you asked), if you would like to up your game on the cable, and money is no object, then a higher quality aftermarket cable with a dedicated 4.4 termination might just be what the doctor ordered.

Not trying to diss your Drop cable by any means. I'm just saying that one can often do a little or much better when it comes to stock cables provided by Drop. But then again, one can do a little or much better when it comes to everything else, including the headphones themselves, so this is neither here not there,. These are just data points that you might find useful or not. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #1,404 of 3,686
You can search this one

Attachments

• 20220104_004529.jpg
    20220104_004529.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220104_004510.jpg
    20220104_004510.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220104_004346.jpg
    20220104_004346.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220104_004336.jpg
    20220104_004336.jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 0
Jan 3, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #1,405 of 3,686

Whatever you do, I think there will be good demand for a $400-$600 R2R portable device. Whether that's a DAC/amp or a DAP, just something that fills the gap in your product line from the $250 RU6 to the >$1k DAP with R2R module. Based on the performance of the RU6, I would absolutely be interested in a device that can be used with portable sources but also can scale up to desktops. I would never spend anywhere near $1k on a portable device like a DAP, so the existing R2R upgrade in your lineup is well out of consideration for me.

Jan 3, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #1,406 of 3,686
If you already have a good cable then just get an adapter.
disagree. You can get a good balanced cable for $70. Those adapters suck. They don't last long and they lose connectivity pretty quickly.

Jan 3, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #1,407 of 3,686
Whatever you do, I think there will be good demand for a $400-$600 R2R portable device. Whether that's a DAC/amp or a DAP, just something that fills the gap in your product line from the $250 RU6 to the >$1k DAP with R2R module. Based on the performance of the RU6, I would absolutely be interested in a device that can be used with portable sources but also can scale up to desktops. I would never spend anywhere near $1k on a portable device like a DAP, so the existing R2R upgrade in your lineup is well out of consideration for me.
There is the RS6 available now. Of course, everyone would prefer it if the price was $400-600 for that product. Perhaps it's not profitable to make the product you want.

Jan 3, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #1,408 of 3,686
There is the RS6 available now. Of course, everyone would prefer it if the price was $400-600 for that product. Perhaps it's not profitable to make the product you want.
Part of it is that this is the first wave of R2R portable devices (that I'm aware of). First attempts of most things are going to be expensive. Usually that tech trickles down. What's interesting is that this trickled down from over $1k to $250. The only way I couldn't see a $400-$600 product in this line being viable would be if there's a big performance delta between the lower end transistors used in the RU6 and the higher end ones in the R01, with no real in between available. Even so, a larger form factor could allow for improvements in the power and output sections, allow for different implementation options, added value features, etc.

Jan 3, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #1,409 of 3,686
I think having an all-in-one DAP is nice. But I still prefer using my phone's UI. And if not having a screen means shaving a few hundred dollars off the cost that would be welcome.

Some instances I just want to connect the dac to an external desktop amp a screen isn't even needed. And I wouldn't have to worry about scratching it.

Jan 3, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #1,410 of 3,686
disagree. You can get a good balanced cable for $70. Those adapters suck. They don't last long and they lose connectivity pretty quickly.
If you have various amp and DAP with different output, it makes sense to get an adapter rather than changing cable in headphone and in process damaging the headphone connector someday. Quality adapters don’t suck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back