Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Jan 1, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #1,367 of 3,677
It seems my drop-out problems are definitely an issue with full-sized headphones and higher volume settings. At 70 in high gain with the Stealth, I get drop-outs if I use my iPhone. Dropping it down below 60 and the cut-outs stop, as does using my iPad or a DAP instead. Of course, this isn't a problem with IEMs.
That happens with W2 too.
Also, i tried with iems, also happens(Monarch 2)

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #1,368 of 3,677
I'd say you need different headphones. Trying to fix something you don't like about a pair of headphones with the amp and DAC is just not a good plan IMO.

One thing that annoys me about the EU directive to get Apple to replace the Lightning connector with USB-C is that the latter is simply such a weak connector in comparison. The USB-C connector on my 2016 MacBook is in poor condition, yet I have an iPhone 5 here that has an absolutely solid Lightning socket.

They wont, because customers will swap in dodgy, cheap batteries from China, and then complain to the phone manufacturer when things stop working well. Not to mention warranty claims which people make. It's easier and way more cost-effective to restrict it.

Back to the RU6 though, it didn't want to play well with my iPhone 12 Pro Max, cutting out repeatedly. The W2 didn't fare much better though. I'm using the included Lightning to USB-C cable. I wonder if it is because the battery is below 50%, as it worked fine before, and it works fine out of my iPad Mini.

But it has been fun comparing it with the W2, albeit from a Hiby R6 2020. I've been managing to drive the DCA Stealth from both. I prefer the slightly more bloomy sound from the RU6 for preference, even if the W2 sounds a bit more precise, it's a touch less engaging for me.
With my iPhone I never had drop out but ya the connector was getting warm may be due the power it was fetching from device

Jan 1, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #1,369 of 3,677
That's weird.
Last night I connected the RU6 to my iPhoneXS, and listened to music for about 2 hours, even in high gain mode since I had my VC connected.
No problems, the only thing I noticed was the Lightning connector gets very warm, almost hot.

All in all, I'm so excited about the little RU6 that I'm now thinking about buying the Cayin 6ii. :beyersmile:
Finally I found someone using VC out of this. I really enjoyed the pairing. But I thought I might be the only one.

Jan 1, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #1,370 of 3,677
Now I can understand why you are the last person on Earth when soemone ask you to explain what you believes will work under the laws of physics. :wink:

While you can merge two water pipes into one bigger pipe, kind of similar to receive 2 "water supplies" and combine them into 1. This is totally different when you want to apply "summation" concept to electrical energy.
Care to explain? The voltage remains the same whether you split or not so I assume it's the same for combining. You can make a light bulb work if you use power from 2 sockets while combining plus + and both - as well, so I'm really curious why it wouldn't work with a DAC. And seeing how many people have problems with drops on higher loads and volumes it's not like power isn't a problem.

drftr

Jan 1, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #1,371 of 3,677
It seems my drop-out problems are definitely an issue with full-sized headphones and higher volume settings. At 70 in high gain with the Stealth, I get drop-outs if I use my iPhone. Dropping it down below 60 and the cut-outs stop, as does using my iPad or a DAP instead. Of course, this isn't a problem with IEMs.
It may be the power related. I remember someone complained of same problem earlier in thread of dropouts at high volume out of iPhone.

Jan 1, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #1,372 of 3,677
In my experience it's probably a problem on the Apple side. "problem" may not be the right word though if you ask them, lol.

Jan 1, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #1,373 of 3,677
Crap I have a Denon D5200, and was on the fence for a while. Should I not buy it?

Though I'll run it off my PC which might supply more power so it might be ok......???
i think is denon 9200. and the problem is with iphone. i don´t know with android

Jan 1, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #1,375 of 3,677
It may be the power related. I remember someone complained of same problem earlier in thread of dropouts at high volume out of iPhone.
In my experience it's probably a problem on the Apple side. "problem" may not be the right word though if you ask them, lol.
i think is denon 9200. and the problem is with iphone. i don´t know with android
Apple restricts power draw to 100ma hence the drop outs.
Ah ok then it's an iPhone problem, got it!

Phew I'm in the clear then lol (PC and Android).

Jan 1, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #1,376 of 3,677
But now seriously. IMHO dongle is a dongle with inherent limitations due to type of product. If you want a complete hardware that drives large headphones so go to dap. Better batteries, more power!!!

Jan 1, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #1,377 of 3,677

Amos, it does sound like you are hitting iPhone current limit for external peripheral device connection. The same happens with W2 and, coincidentally, a volume above 70 where iPhone starts to stutter. You can get one of those cheap usb-c current/voltage measuring tools you put in series with your phone/dongle and monitor the current spike as you increase the volume.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #1,378 of 3,677
But now seriously. IMHO dongle is a dongle with inherent limitations due to type of product. If you want a complete hardware that drives large headphones so go to dap. Better batteries, more power!!!
Lol Denon D5200 is pretty easy to drive though. It's like 24 Ohm and high sensitivity (forgot exact number).

I was able to power it fine just straight from my Pixel 3A 3.5mm phone jack. Though Pixel 3A jack sounded pretty crap, the older Pixel 1 sounded much better, but that's story for another day.

Also I was splitting hair A/B my Dragonfly Red and Burson Playmate 2 (3.5W, Class A) for 2-3 weeks now. Basically I like Dragonfly Red TONAL balance better and Playmate 2 TECHNICALITY better. But even so it felt like splitting hair it's probably 5-10% difference.

So I'm convinced Denon don't need that much power? Also I had zero usable volume range with Playmate 2 it's like at volume 1 (out of 100) low gain it's already like 50% loud for me (assuming 80% loud is max "listenable" level). Night time I like something like 20-30% loud.

I think at this point I'm just a bit intrigued by the R2R aspect also want something with usable volume range LOL. I'm hoping this would be like a good middle ground???

Oh forgot to say this is for desktop use so no need for DAP lol.

Jan 1, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #1,379 of 3,677
Care to explain? The voltage remains the same whether you split or not so I assume it's the same for combining. You can make a light bulb work if you use power from 2 sockets while combining plus + and both - as well, so I'm really curious why it wouldn't work with a DAC. And seeing how many people have problems with drops on higher loads and volumes it's not like power isn't a problem.

drftr
Not sure what you are talking about... I don't have any problem with my Windows 10 laptop or Android phone regarding dropouts. I would like to know how many non-Apple users are experiencing problems as reported in this thread.

Apple is a unicorn smartphone manufacturer that has developed their own proprietary USB technology which provides challenges/limitations on power consumption due to their OS battery management strategy. That is why Apple dongle (Apple users love their ecosystem, right ?) exists that can provide you measly 30 mW @ 32 ohms.

RU6 provides 213 mW @ 32 ohms. That is about 6 to 10 dBA headroom, which is quite good for driving even moderately sensitive headphones (95-105 dB/mW) - Dynamic and Planar ones.

Coming to the light bulb comment, are we talking about alternating current (as in the power that comes to your home from power stations through transformer) or direct current (batteries) ? How is light bulb and DAC/amplifier circuits related in terms of how they can be powered ?

Jan 1, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #1,380 of 3,677
How is light bulb and DAC/amplifier circuits related in terms of how they can be powered ?
The underlying question is what happens if the RU6 receives power from both the socket and the smartphone. Are they both accepted? Is one blocked? Does the thing explode?

The question was asked because it would be more efficient to power the dongle from the socket while using the smartphone for signal, versus first charging the smartphone then listen until it's empty, charge again, etcetera. If we're not longer depending on smartphone charging ot would remove one hurdle. Especially because some people may want to use the phone at the same time as listening because then the power would just vanish even quicker. Another example is that at the end of a listening session you suddenly have to go BUT your phone's battery is almost empty. Same charging situation.

It's like when you connect your smartphone to a tablet and get the choice between only accepting data from the tablet or data + power.

Yes, I know we can all buy a power bank plus a wireless charger, etcetera. But this is a portable device for a reason. If it doesn't have to be portable we'd possibly pick up a different device with more headroom. So ideally the use case should define the trade-offs.

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back