Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Jan 1, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #1,381 of 3,685
Amos, it does sound like you are hitting iPhone current limit for external peripheral device connection. The same happens with W2 and, coincidentally, a volume above 70 where iPhone starts to stutter. You can get one of those cheap usb-c current/voltage measuring tools you put in series with your phone/dongle and monitor the current spike as you increase the volume.
I might have to get one of those at some point. It's a pity, as the 12 Pro Max has quite a large battery.

Jan 1, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #1,382 of 3,685
I have been using my RU6 with the iPhone 13 mini with no problem or stuttering. But my volume doesn’t pass 35 with any of my IEMs. :)

the ultimate portability stack would be to add the magsafe powerbank.

Jan 1, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #1,383 of 3,685
The underlying question is what happens if the RU6 receives power from both the socket and the smartphone. Are they both accepted? Is one blocked? Does the thing explode?

The question was asked because it would be more efficient to power the dongle from the socket while using the smartphone for signal, versus first charging the smartphone then listen until it's empty, charge again, etcetera. If we're not longer depending on smartphone charging ot would remove one hurdle. Especially because some people may want to use the phone at the same time as listening because then the power would just vanish even quicker. Another example is that at the end of a listening session you suddenly have to go BUT your phone's battery is almost empty. Same charging situation.

It's like when you connect your smartphone to a tablet and get the choice between only accepting data from the tablet or data + power.

Yes, I know we can all buy a power bank plus a wireless charger, etcetera. But this is a portable device for a reason. If it doesn't have to be portable we'd possibly pick up a different device with more headroom. So ideally the use case should define the trade-offs.

drftr
Does tablet have a battery ? Does phone have a battery ? If Tablet or Phone are capable of charging each other and also transferring data simultaneously, the one common thing that exists is source of power which is called "Battery".

Why cant you say that you need a battery inside a so-called dongle ?

Jan 1, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #1,385 of 3,685
Because that option is not available I'm looking for the 2nd best option.

drftr
I think the 2nd option looks like a pipe dream and no manufacturer would seriously waste their time doing that (rather they can focus making internal components of the dongle more efficient). This is just one person's opinion. I will tip off my hat to you if some one really pulls off your 2nd option (looks long shot to me).

I can still see a situation where may be dongles have batteries (hate them if so, because dimension of the dongle increases significantly), but in firmware you may have an option of enabling charge using phone or using the battery from the dongle itself. This has been successfully implemented by Centrance for their Hifi-M8 V2 DAC/Amp (which looks like a DAP or bigger than that)

Jan 1, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #1,386 of 3,685
I think the 2nd option looks like a pipe dream and no manufacturer would seriously waste their time doing that (rather they can focus making internal components of the dongle more efficient). This is just one person's opinion. I will tip off my hat to you if some one really pulls off your 2nd option (looks long shot to me).

I can still see a situation where may be dongles have batteries (hate them if so, because dimension of the dongle increases significantly), but in firmware you may have an option of enabling charge using phone or using the battery from the dongle itself. This has been successfully implemented by Centrance for their Hifi-M8 V2 DAC/Amp (which looks like a DAP or bigger than that)
Dongle with battery like Chord Mojo?

Though I wonder at that point is it easier to get something like BTR5 or Qudelix 5k and call it a day lol.

EDIT: ah I see he want it to double as power bank. Then Mojo is out of the option.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #1,387 of 3,685

Though I wonder at that point is it easier to get something like BTR5 or Qudelix 5k and call it a day lol.

EDIT: ah I see he want it to double as power bank. Then Mojo is out of the option.
? Not me... Unfortunately this happens when people respond that don't have an answer so I can't blame you! :wink:

I think only Andy can answer the original question.

drftr

Jan 1, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #1,388 of 3,685

Exactly.. this is what I have been saying throughout this thread (if you look up my other posts)...

What's the point really in calling something like that a dongle (i.e one with a battery - self powered giant piece of slab hanging of my $1500 smartphone USB-C port, remember if it fails, I lose $1500 instead of $300 dongle) ? I am not discounting the chances of the 2nd option that is being proposed. I am not going to believe it will happen, until it really happens.

Jan 1, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #1,389 of 3,685
? Not me... Unfortunately this happens when people respond that don't have an answer so I can't blame you! :wink:

I think only Andy can answer the original question.

drftr
Just to be clear, it is not that I don't have an answer (at least, I am looking for some physics around how things work in this world) , I don't see your proof of concept to be really working, until someone shows me that.

Until then you don't have the answer either. No more debating this. Thanks!

Jan 1, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #1,390 of 3,685
As Andy mentioned before. It’s IMPOSSIBLE to please everyone. The human being is never satisfied.

Jan 1, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #1,391 of 3,685
As Andy mentioned before. It’s IMPOSSIBLE to please everyone. The human being is never satisfied.
I agree on that, but Andy hasn't answered my question. Instead he made fun out of my water example. I prefer "I don't know" or "It's not possible" instead so that I can put it up for sale. I'm not here to waste anybody's time. I'm here to get my question answered, which I think should be possible on a forum. But if that's not acceptable then I have to give up.

drftr

Jan 1, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #1,392 of 3,685
I agree on that, but Andy hasn't answered my question. Instead he made fun out of my water example. I prefer "I don't know" or "It's not possible" instead so that I can put it up for sale. I'm not here to waste anybody's time. I'm here to get my question answered, which I think should be possible on a forum. But if that's not acceptable then I have to give up.

drftr
It is not possible to the best of my knowledge.

Cayin has no intention to develop similar product.

No further comment on anything related to this topic. RU6 is designed to work within certain limitations.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 1, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #1,394 of 3,685
@Andykong I love my RU6 because it is exactly what I was looking for: a reasonable size USB-C dongle that works with my phones and laptops, easy to operate, plug and play and ignore just enjoy the music, AND it uses power from my devices directly so I don't have to charge it to use! If we add an extra mechanism for power in like a power bank or smth and make it bigger thr RU6 may lose its main selling point.
IMHO the RU6 is a great tiny device, perfect as it is! Cayin gained a new fan 🥰!

Jan 1, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #1,395 of 3,685

Users who are viewing this thread

Back