Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Jan 3, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #1,411 of 3,686
Part of it is that this is the first wave of R2R portable devices (that I'm aware of). First attempts of most things are going to be expensive. Usually that tech trickles down. What's interesting is that this trickled down from over $1k to $250. The only way I couldn't see a $400-$600 product in this line being viable would be if there's a big performance delta between the lower end transistors used in the RU6 and the higher end ones in the R01, with no real in between available. Even so, a larger form factor could allow for improvements in the power and output sections, allow for different implementation options, added value features, etc.

Hifiman already did it at 599 with the R2R2000 red (dap) and the HM1000 red (screenless dac/amp/player). I have the HM1000 but, as many have experienced with Hifiman's questionable QC, my first one had some issues.

Afaik, both are discontinued but there was also the new HM-901R. No screen like the HM1000 so also requires smartphone app for full use but it has a new R2R chip of their design plus it has swappable amp cards like their first portables from a decade or so ago.

Jan 3, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #1,412 of 3,686
My comparison of Cayin Ru6 & Ovidius B1.

Out of phone with 3.2 USB-C using UM MEST MK2 & TinHifi T3+.

Cayin RU6 (NOS)

Forward, visceral, raw, snappy, immediate, natural, textured, midcentric, large, spacious, cohesive, layered, dynamic, vibrant, clear, high PRaT (fast, great timing).

Ovidius B1

Laid back, smooth, processed, polished, neutral, separated, contained.

There is a huge difference in how the music is presented here. The RU6 pulls you into one room where you’re inside a cohesive performance, each instrument occupying one large space (intimately around your head) and fighting for the space. It’s very visceral & chaotic and it gets your attention. This is not for background listening in my opinion.

The B1 by contrast presents music with each instrument being contained inside its own little pocket dimension. This hurts cohesiveness but greatly increases sense of separation and it organizes the music for you. The end result feels like you’re peering at the music from a distance as opposed to being inside it.

With the B1 you may be getting a slightly better understanding of the music as everything is neatly in its own space and not echoing outward over the entire soundstage. It is easy to listen to at all times with a polished, smooth delivery of notes. It is not nearly as dramatic.

With the Ru6 you’re getting lots more exposure to the texture and surface detail but not as much detail in terms of intelligibility of the song - it’s not as organized or prepared if you will. It may offend at times with its raw quality. The dynamic pop is huge here and it excels especially with acoustic, live, natural music. Everything is given a sense of snap and immediacy that’s more akin to his sound unfolds In real life. So while it sounds more realistic, it can become fatiguing in the long run.

Bass

B1 seems to hit a bit harder with more authority but it’s not as wide and perhaps not as extend as Ru6.

Texture goes to Ru6.

Mids

B1 more balanced, neutral, nothing obviously recessed or forward.

Ru6 more forward, midcentric sound overall. Again, greater sense of texture. Every note sound more fleshed out and fully realized.

Treble

B1 has smooth extended treble with slightly higher sense of detail retrieval.

Ru6 has a rougher and sharper treble with emphasis in the presence region I believe. Not quite as detailed or extended yet it sounds far more realistic and engaging.

Stage

Stage width goes to Ru6 by virtue of its large instruments. It has natural, slightly longer decay to notes which helps it sounds more spacious.

B1 is crisper, drier, tighter. Stage is more focused and put together, more for analytical observation of the music.

Conclusion

I like the Ru6 a fair bit more, even out of the box. It offers a distinctly different take on music than chip DACs. It is intoxicating to listen to with a much higher engagement factor. Vocals especially have far more emotive power as if the vocal cords of the singer become more sensitive.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #1,413 of 3,686
I'd say you need different headphones. Trying to fix something you don't like about a pair of headphones with the amp and DAC is just not a good plan IMO.

One thing that annoys me about the EU directive to get Apple to replace the Lightning connector with USB-C is that the latter is simply such a weak connector in comparison. The USB-C connector on my 2016 MacBook is in poor condition, yet I have an iPhone 5 here that has an absolutely solid Lightning socket.

They wont, because customers will swap in dodgy, cheap batteries from China, and then complain to the phone manufacturer when things stop working well. Not to mention warranty claims which people make. It's easier and way more cost-effective to restrict it.

Back to the RU6 though, it didn't want to play well with my iPhone 12 Pro Max, cutting out repeatedly. The W2 didn't fare much better though. I'm using the included Lightning to USB-C cable. I wonder if it is because the battery is below 50%, as it worked fine before, and it works fine out of my iPad Mini.

But it has been fun comparing it with the W2, albeit from a Hiby R6 2020. I've been managing to drive the DCA Stealth from both. I prefer the slightly more bloomy sound from the RU6 for preference, even if the W2 sounds a bit more precise, it's a touch less engaging for me.
I’m a little late here, but the best scenario I have with my iPhone q2 pro max is hooking the camera adaptor to the phone so I can simultaneously charge the phone while listening. It takes the 100% portability out of it. But I’m OK with that.. also.. I have to use the apple factory charging cord. Nelken won’t work, I’ve tried… it’s like… it draws power from itself.

as a whole? I prefer listening to it from my iPad Pro 3rd Gen. I don’t have to worry about cutouts.

Jan 3, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #1,414 of 3,686
It seems my drop-out problems are definitely an issue with full-sized headphones and higher volume settings. At 70 in high gain with the Stealth, I get drop-outs if I use my iPhone. Dropping it down below 60 and the cut-outs stop, as does using my iPad or a DAP instead. Of course, this isn't a problem with IEMs.
And this is what I’ve been screaming about for the last couple of weeks… and finally gave up.. and just settle. I’m glad you’re having this issue also, so I don’t feel alone. Thank you for speaking on this matter.

Jan 4, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #1,415 of 3,686

Cayin RU6 (NOS)

Forward, visceral, raw, snappy, immediate, natural, textured, midcentric, large, spacious, cohesive, layered, dynamic, vibrant, clear, high PRaT (fast, great timing).

Ovidius B1

There is a huge difference in how the music is presented here. The RU6 pulls you into one room where you’re inside a cohesive performance, each instrument occupying one large space (intimately around your head) and fighting for the space. It’s very visceral & chaotic and it gets your attention. This is not for background listening in my opinion.

The B1 by contrast presents music with each instrument being contained inside its own little pocket dimension. This hurts cohesiveness but greatly increases sense of separation and it organizes the music for you. The end result feels like you’re peering at the music from a distance as opposed to being inside it.

With the B1 you may be getting a slightly better understanding of the music as everything is neatly in its own space and not echoing outward over the entire soundstage. It is easy to listen to at all times with a polished, smooth delivery of notes. It is not nearly as dramatic.

With the Ru6 you’re getting lots more exposure to the texture and surface detail but not as much detail in terms of intelligibility of the song - it’s not as organized or prepared if you will. It may offend at times with its raw quality. The dynamic pop is huge here and it excels especially with acoustic, live, natural music. Everything is given a sense of snap and immediacy that’s more akin to his sound unfolds In real life. So while it sounds more realistic, it can become fatiguing in the long run.

Bass

B1 seems to hit a bit harder with more authority but it’s not as wide and perhaps not as extend as Ru6.

Texture goes to Ru6.

Mids

Ru6 more forward, midcentric sound overall. Again, greater sense of texture. Every note sound more fleshed out and fully realized.

Treble

Ru6 has a rougher and sharper treble with emphasis in the presence region I believe. Not quite as detailed or extended yet it sounds far more realistic and engaging.

Stage

Stage width goes to Ru6 by virtue of its large instruments. It has natural, slightly longer decay to notes which helps it sounds more spacious.

B1 is crisper, drier, tighter. Stage is more focused and put together, more for analytical observation of the music.

Conclusion

I like the Ru6 a fair bit more, even out of the box. It offers a distinctly different take on music than chip DACs. It is intoxicating to listen to with a much higher engagement factor. Vocals especially have far more emotive power as if the vocal cords of the singer become more sensitive.
Mid centric, bloomy, warmmer, bolder when OS is selected, but sometimes NOS does the same effect.
So I want a fast switching button.
I generally use Os for vocal and Nos for instrumental

Jan 4, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #1,417 of 3,686
Enjoying my new Cayin RU6 out of an iPad Pro.
First impressions are that this is a "bright" DAC with very good ambiance, wide sound stage, good PRAT and isolation. Nice detail.
It easily drives my LCD-XCs (on high gain) and brightens up my Focal Elegias (on low gain).

Jan 4, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #1,418 of 3,686
Jan 5, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #1,420 of 3,686
Enjoying my new Cayin RU6 out of an iPad Pro.
First impressions are that this is a "bright" DAC with very good ambiance, wide sound stage, good PRAT and isolation. Nice detail.
It easily drives my LCD-XCs (on high gain) and brightens up my Focal Elegias (on low gain).

Amazing, another happy RU6 experience with fullsize planar. I must say this is one of the most interesting pair, 28g RU6 with 677g~700g headphone. :wink:

Are you using the 2020 or 2021 version of LCD-XC? or the original 2014 version? Are they all rated at 101dB/mw?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 5, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #1,421 of 3,686
And this is what I’ve been screaming about for the last couple of weeks… and finally gave up.. and just settle. I’m glad you’re having this issue also, so I don’t feel alone. Thank you for speaking on this matter.

I thought you have drop-out when you charge and listen at the same time with non-Apple charging cable? When you use Cayin C-to-lightning cable directly, you didn't experience any drop out? Quite a different problem when compare to what Currawong is dealing with.

Jan 5, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #1,422 of 3,686
I thought you have drop-out when you charge and listen at the same time with non-Apple charging cable? When you use Cayin C-to-lightning cable directly, you didn't experience any drop out? Quite a different problem when compare to what Currawong is dealing with.
They could be related. I'm thinking that some of the USB splitters limit the power (can't remember which V or A, probably amps) to 1.0 instead of 1.2 like some phone manufacturers limit the usb ports

It sounds like both @Goofyboy84 and @Currawong are having the same symptoms, probably caused by not having enough power but for different reasons.

Edit: I should probably explain for those who don't want to trawl back through posts, Currywonga is experiencing dropouts when he plugs in headphones that need a lot of power, whereas Goodyboy and myself are experiencing dropouts when using USB splitters but not when plugged directly into the phone.

I've ordered a third splitter that was recommended a few pages back, I will update the post with a link. Apparently other users in this forum swear by it, not at it, so worth a shot when it finally gets here from the states.

USB C OTG Adapter with Power, 2 in 1 USB C to USB with 60W PD Charging Adapter Compatible with iPad Pro, Dell XPS, Galaxy S21/S20+/Note10, Google Pixel 5/4XL Google Chromecast with Google TV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LM71CZ9/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_SVPNQBM32Q0VKMTQY2M7

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #1,423 of 3,686

Cayin RU6 (NOS)

Ovidius B1

Bass

Texture goes to Ru6.

Mids

Treble

Stage

Conclusion

Thank you for your RU6 impression, glad you like the RU6, intoxicating to listen to with a much higher engagement factor is a very encouraging feedback, we hope you'll continue to enjoy the RU6 after 50 or 100 hours of usage.

There are one point that I am not fully understand and I hope you don't mind if I ask for more detail. Please be assured that I am not picking bone out of your reivew, I respect all user impressions and I don't think RU6 or any product can please everyone compeltely, so even negative impression are valuble contribution as long as they are sincere and impartial sharing.

You said the RU6 is very visceral and "it gets your attention. This is not for background listening in my opinion." which I undertand and shared the same view, but you also mentioned "chaotic" here and this is where I am confused. This is the first time I saw visceral & chaotic together in the same impression description. In my expereince, when something is chaotic, I find it difficult to focus and lost attention very quickly, so maybe we have different meaning of chaotic? or response to chaotic differently? I am kind of worry that this is part of my inadequacy in English so I wan to take this opportunity to rectify my mistake.

Jan 5, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #1,424 of 3,686
They could be related. I'm thinking that some of the USB splitters limit the power (can't remember which V or A, probaky amps) to 1.0 instead of 1.2 like some phone manufacturers limit the usb ports

It sounds like both @Goofyboy84 and @Currawong are having the same symptoms, probably caused by not having enough power but for different reasons.

I've ordered a third splitter that was recommended a few pages back, I will update the post with a link. Apparently other users in this forum swear by it, not at it, so worth a shot when it finally gets here from the states.

USB C OTG Adapter with Power, 2 in 1 USB C to USB with 60W PD Charging Adapter Compatible with iPad Pro, Dell XPS, Galaxy S21/S20+/Note10, Google Pixel 5/4XL Google Chromecast with Google TV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LM71CZ9/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_SVPNQBM32Q0VKMTQY2M7

Not exactly, he was using Apple camear adapter at that time. He returned the adapter but later he bought the adapter again becuse he test the setup in Apple store and everything works fine when he used a apple factory charging cord. Apparantly the Apple adapter didn't like his Nelken charging cord and causing the problem, its the famous protection mechanism in Apple ecosystem.

Last edited:

Jan 5, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #1,425 of 3,686
It seems my drop-out problems are definitely an issue with full-sized headphones and higher volume settings. At 70 in high gain with the Stealth, I get drop-outs if I use my iPhone. Dropping it down below 60 and the cut-outs stop, as does using my iPad or a DAP instead. Of course, this isn't a problem with IEMs.
https://thomas.vanhoutte.be/miniblo...os-13-this-accessory-requires-too-much-power/

Save your money mate, it's a known issue. The phone starts throttling the usb output and considering music does not have a uniform power requirement and changes beat to beat, it starts hitting the limiter and stuttering.

Quite similar to VU meters hitting a hard clip.

I do encourage Currawong to acquire one of those usb-c current/voltage measuring tool suggested by Alex. As a reviewer, he need to prove and show the problem to his YouTubew audience after founding an answer to a question, especially when the demonstration is not difficult or expensive to achieve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back