Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Dec 7, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #721 of 3,679
The only think I wouldn't mind having is always on option and a little spectrum analyser on the display haha
As you wish it's there in Menu, last line.
Spectrum visualation draws more power than "always on".
I guess base on oled characteristics

Dec 7, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #722 of 3,679
As you wish it's there in Menu, last line.
Spectrum visualation draws more power than "always on".
I guess base on oled characteristics
oh wow brilliant i didnt see we had always on option there.

spectrum visualisation would be neat, not sure if possible at all... but it would add to the funk factor

Dec 7, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #723 of 3,679
I would love to see further development of this R2R dongle concept from Cayin.. i wouldn't mind larger size and more stuff:

* class A amplifications (keep IEM focus, no need for gobs of power0
* better resistors, more fleshed out r2r topology
* battery maybe, optional separate power in (can use better power supplies)
* Line out
* Improved power filters, clocking, fpga etc
* Dsp eq etc etc

- see the ifi xdsd gryphon - something of that layout, but with killer desktop level sound quality. I'd be happy to pay more money for this; i feel the 500-600$ segment is currently barren for this kind of high performing portable systems.

Dec 7, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #724 of 3,679
Some stuffs arranging to get in the audio path.
The most crazy thing is to drive hd800s by RU6.
A) my smp w/ Neutron->Ru6
B) SP1K w/ Neutron direct
C) SP1K ->Ru6
Output port: "bal" 4.4

It's not a easy race but ru6 wont die too fast.
At least I am not able to point out what is what. My wife's cooking and fan noise doest support me on listening.

Ru6 can push hd800s to sound loud enough at volume80, lowgain.
I disapoint high gain sq (and OS, with 800s)

Attachments

• 20211207_201410.jpg
    20211207_201410.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #725 of 3,679
C) SP1K ->Ru6

At least I am not able to point out what is what. My wife's cooking and fan noise doest support me on listening.

The most crazy thing is to drive hd800s by RU6. I have to agree with you :wink: :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 7, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #726 of 3,679
I would love to see further development of this R2R dongle concept from Cayin.. i wouldn't mind larger size and more stuff:

* class A amplifications (keep IEM focus, no need for gobs of power0
* better resistors, more fleshed out r2r topology
* battery maybe, optional separate power in (can use better power supplies)
* Line out
* Improved power filters, clocking, fpga etc
* Dsp eq etc etc

- see the ifi xdsd gryphon - something of that layout, but with killer desktop level sound quality. I'd be happy to pay more money for this; i feel the 500-600$ segment is currently barren for this kind of high performing portable systems.

You have thrown in a lot of "keyword" that we frequently find in sales and advertisement. If we were to develop a high-end R2R based DAC, there are a lot of digital engineering enhancement we need to do before we come to the feature you asked for. Otherwise, the features you requested will only AMPLIFY the fault of the digital circuit. To start with, we need better resistors (at least 10 times more accurate with significantly lower TCR), Hardware solution or powerful DSP improve oversampling and DSD transcoding, PLL+FemtoClock to reduce jitter, of if we don't want to transcode DSD to PCM, we'll need second rail of R-2R dedicated for DSD, .... etc etc.

Can we do this? Yes.
Will they end up in the 500-600$ segment? maybe second hand by the time of 2030 . Something like this can easily sell like a hot cake at $1999 in current market, why should we settle for less?

Dec 7, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #727 of 3,679
You have thrown in a lot of "keyword" that we frequently find in sales and advertisement. If we were to develop a high-end R2R based DAC, there are a lot of digital engineering enhancement we need to do before we come to the feature you asked for. Otherwise, the features you requested will only AMPLIFY the fault of the digital circuit. To start with, we need better resistors (at least 10 times more accurate with significantly lower TCR), Hardware solution or powerful DSP improve oversampling and DSD transcoding, PLL+FemtoClock to reduce jitter, of if we don't want to transcode DSD to PCM, we'll need second rail of R-2R dedicated for DSD, .... etc etc.

Can we do this? Yes.
Will they end up in the 500-600$ segment? maybe second hand by the time of 2030 . Something like this can easily sell like a hot cake at $1999 in current market, why should we settle for less?
So when are you launching it? :dt880smile::k701smile:

Dec 7, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #728 of 3,679
C) SP1K ->Ru6

Very interesting write up, thank you!
So you preferred Low gain vs High gain on the HD800S?
Is this the same for your other headphones/IEMs?

Dec 7, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #729 of 3,679
So when are you launching it? :dt880smile::k701smile:
  1. We can do it.
  2. We might do it
  3. We are going to do it.
  4. We are doing it.
  5. We have done it.

We are at stage 1 only, stay tune. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dec 7, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #730 of 3,679
As usual we lose the perception of main objective. We' re talkinh about a simple dongle. The real innovation is r2r dac in a dongle. It is clear that compromises have to be made. For me this dongle is a clear innovation like some years ago the chord mojo. I hope mine atrives this week.

Dec 7, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #731 of 3,679

Can we do this? Yes.

Its not sales keywords for me, they're typically features I enjoyed and noticed improvements with in my sources - I have a class A amp and it sounds better to me than my non class A amplifications.

Superior clocking (and usb decrapifier like ifi iusb) I have also give me audible improvements.

Better power/battery also gives me audible improvements.

FPGA improvements I can't say that's bit of vodoo for me - I just know my Fiio M11 plus has improvements here apparently Vs the m11 Pro and it sounds better - wether it's due to that exactly I can't say.

- not quite sure why I have to explain this and why you'd think I'm just touting sales words I've read in the latest what hifi digest. I just expressed that I'd like to see portable r2r in th 500-600 USD range that pushes further what the RU6 can do.. wether it's possible to improve upon the RU6 for this cost I'll leave it to the experts.. there isn't much in this price range on offer, so I think creating something unique and quality that slots in here will be a good commercial move

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #732 of 3,679
As usual we lose the perception of main objective. We' re talkinh about a simple dongle. The real innovation is r2r dac in a dongle. It is clear that compromises have to be made. For me this dongle is a clear innovation like some years ago the chord mojo. I hope mine atrives this week.
The proof is in the pudding - sound quality. I'm still going through burn in and hopefully will reach a happy ending

Dec 7, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #733 of 3,679

Unfortunately, that's "If you can do that, why don't you do that" symptoms. Once we deliver an innovation, people will ask for more innovations, high price performance ratio, and everything is as straight forward as plugging in the RU6 to your mobile phone.

Dec 7, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #734 of 3,679
Sometimes I think i get EMI, when im using usb c-usb a cable to apple camera lightning adapter . I think i'll have to purchase the lightning cable from cayin ( I tried the w2 lightning cable).. hopefully that might solve the EMI issue. Does the case being sold do anything except give a level of covering ? @Andykong

Dec 7, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #735 of 3,679
Very interesting write up, thank you!
So you preferred Low gain vs High gain on the HD800S?
Is this the same for your other headphones/IEMs?
I just using day3 since unboxing but never feel I need or satisfying with high gain.
It sounds rude and awful to me.
Low gain always set.
I dont think I turn on H gain mode ever again. To be sure I dont have planar cans to try :D
Hd800s driven easily and I dont have any claim of sq even compare to ability of AK SP1000. If give 10 to SP1000, I give 8.5-9 to ru6.
Nos flavor is not same Os (Os drive hd800s quite similar to SPk).
For vocal, I mostly choose os, for instrumental, Nos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back