Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Dec 7, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #751 of 3,685
The way I’m going to hook mine up is… Layla IEMs to 4.4mm balanced to dongle… from dongle… there’s a little male USB c to make USB c cable included it looks like.. then there’s an adaptor that I presume goes from female USB c to regular USB.. take that and hook it to camera adaptor. Hook camera adaptor to phone. Have the lightning port in the adaptor for charging.

If I misunderstood the initial question, I’m sorry. But for what it sounds… you don’t need to buy the lightning cable, if you plan on using the adaptor.

If you’re going from the dongle straight to the phone? You will. But with that route.. you won’t be able to charge it at the same time. 😊
Yeah, it works with the camera adapter, its just a matter of possibly making that cable connection shorter for convinience.. Plus i just want to know if the EMI issue would persist if i get the case, maybe it shields it.

Dec 7, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #753 of 3,685
I think there's enough of of us who just want the best sound quality for IEMs in the most portable format at the best price, 8 million features and options be damned.
I'm fitting into this category here.

For on the go music the RU6 is really singing for me right now.

For me the strength of RU6 is still at the upper range. If there is a need for a clash, sparkle or shimmer it seems to do this with ease and I think it begins and ends well consistently. With the other dongles in my arsenal I think there are times the end does not tail off well.

Playing around with bit perfect. I think it helps with the noise floor somewhat. Trying the RU6 with UAPpro and Hiby app. UAPpro sounds airier for me. Being drawn to this right now.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #754 of 3,685
Just received my RU6. Only 2 hrs in, but already quite impressed out of the box. If "analog" is the objective of a digital-to-analog converter; this is the best DAC I've ever heard. Best way to describe the sound is as if you took the best qualities of digital music and analog music and mashed them together. Clear, detailed, and smoooooth.

Some other interesting things I noticed out of this DAC is that music seems to flow in slow motion. Like I was in The Matrix and music was slowly flowing around me.

200_45223f8f1d170a9c7869491333699e45.gif

Other things I noticed bass had better definition and texture. Soundstage nice and wide, plus added a bit of depth too. Good layering where I never realized the FD5 was capable of before. Sound is super addicting to the point where I don't wanna take them off and when I am listening to them I have a hard time multitasking, I just want to stop what I'm doing and enjoy.

In the 2 hrs I spent with this so far, it only drained about 7% battery life too which is quite good. 9038S in comparison drains about 10%/hr. Was using balanced in NOS mode in high gain for the most part.

This is amazing innovation in audio. Thanks @Andykong and Cayin. I'm officially a fan! 👍

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #755 of 3,685
My RU6 should arrive in a few hours.

Dec 7, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #756 of 3,685
Dec 7, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #757 of 3,685
I don’t think I’ve read any reviews that say ru6 is worse sounding than w2. In fact I’ve seen two new first impression videos on YouTube both positive about the ru6. I have it arriving soon here and I will post my first impressions vs earmen sparrow, Qudelix and Sony ZX507. If I’m honest I do expect it to beat all of those in terms of natural/organic/smooth sound, my expectations are high in 2021 for portable sources R2R or not

How does the RU6 compare to the Sony ZX507? I've had the ZX507 for about 3 weeks but will return it if the RU6 beats or even just matches it.

Dec 8, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #758 of 3,685
I ordered from MusicTeck, and my RU6 arrived today.

When I plugged it into my Kubuntu 21.10 Linux PC, it was immediately recognized.

I set it to NOS mode, and connected my Wong Kuan Wae "Blur 266 MX150" (2.5TRRS, 150-Ω) earbuds to the 4.4mm output, using a DJ44A adapter.
Watched a couple of YouTube videos on a channel I follow, and the RU6 indicated the correct 48-KHz sample rate.
Then I launched JRiver MC28, and played the 24-Bit / 192-KHz Chesky Binaural album, "The Master" by Cuban percussionist Candido Camero.
The Sound Stage is impressively wide, with a clear, out-of-the-head presentation of the musical instruments.

Switching to another album, "Mneme" by Ex Silentio (24-Bit / 96-KHZ), and MC28 hung up, not playing anything through the RU6.
Force-stopped MC28, and relaunched it.
I tried a couple of other albums (44.1-KHz, 96-KHz, and 192-KHz), and none would play (kept having to force-stop / relaunch MC28).
Going back to "The Master", and it played just fine.
Not sure what's going on.

Unplugged / re-plugged the RU6, and now it doesn't show up at all, in the list of audio devices.
My previous audio path still works just fine: USB -> iFi Micro iDSD [SDPIF] -> SPDIF/TOSLINK Convertor -> 4x4 Optical Matrix Switch -> Topping D70 DAC -> iBasso PB2 Amp -> earbuds

Dec 8, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #759 of 3,685
How does the RU6 compare to the Sony ZX507? I've had the ZX507 for about 3 weeks but will return it if the RU6 beats or even just matches it.

They're difficult to compare for me still as I'm in the honeymoon phase. I'd say the RU6 sounds both wider and more bloomy/analogue but also grainier than the ZX507. The ZX certainly sounds cleaner and is also warmish - but it's feels a little more accurate and less grainy in a good way, but doesn't have that lets let the hair down feel of the RU6. I'm still fighting the slightly etched treble of the Cayin, the 507's treble is a little more refined (both no way near the refinement of an RME ADI 2 dac which sounds sweet , smooth and delicate - as expected for the price).

I do find the Cayin to enjoy a good usb source - like my ifi isub 3.0. It sounds ok out of macbook pro, a little worse out of ipad, and even worse out my phone.

I will say one thing however, i feel the ZX507 is a little overpriced for the audio performance it gives.. at less than half the price the RU6 gives a unique sound flavour you can't really find in portable device for that price, even if it doesn't quite match the ZX507's composure and clean audio - but they both offer a similar cohesive audio that typically sounds less digital compared to the competition.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #760 of 3,685

When I plugged it into my Kubuntu 21.10 Linux PC, it was immediately recognized.

I set it to NOS mode, and connected my Wong Kuan Wae "Blur 266 MX150" (2.5TRRS, 150-Ω) earbuds to the 4.4mm output, using a DJ44A adapter.
Watched a couple of YouTube videos on a channel I follow, and the RU6 indicated the correct 48-KHz sample rate.
Then I launched JRiver MC28, and played the 24-Bit / 192-KHz Chesky Binaural album, "The Master" by Cuban percussionist Candido Camero.
The Sound Stage is impressively wide, with a clear, out-of-the-head presentation of the musical instruments.

Switching to another album, "Mneme" by Ex Silentio (24-Bit / 96-KHZ), and MC28 hung up, not playing anything through the RU6.
I tried a couple of other albums (44.1-KHz, 96-KHz, and 192-KHz), and none would play (kept having to force-stop / relaunch MC28).

Unplugged / re-plugged the RU6, and now it doesn't show up at all, in the list of audio devices.
My previous audio path still works just fine: USB -> iFi Micro iDSD [SDPIF] -> SPDIF/TOSLINK Convertor -> 4x4 Optical Matrix Switch -> Topping D70 DAC -> iBasso PB2 Amp -> earbuds
Sorry to hear! Can you try other player software, like mpd+Cantata or DeaDBeeF?

Remark: I ordered the RU6 to replace my old AudioQuest DragonFly Red, limited in its capabilities, but still trusty on everything. My RU6 seems stuck in shipping. Now, with all the reports here, I am sort of afraid of the many tasks ahead of me when it arrives. Testing on Windows, Linux (Tumbleweed, Manjaro), iOS, Android. Those pops during volume adjustment. …

Dec 8, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #761 of 3,685
PSX_20211208_144113.jpg

Dec 8, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #762 of 3,685

If you connect RU6 to a standard PC or mobile phone, can it recognise the RU6? I want to make sure the RU6 is in good working condition before we move onto other diagnosis.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 8, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #763 of 3,685
Today, I received an order from Musicteck. I got the UM MEST Indigo and the RU6. I spent the majority of the afternoon listening to the Indigo and loving it. Listened across my S2, DX300 and Chord TT2. It's a wonderful IEM that is definitely a keeper in the top 5 of my collection already. It sounds great across all genre of music and across all of my sources. Very similar to the Traillii in that way. I can't wait to A/B test them to see which I prefer. It's going to be close. The Indigo has such a lively and exciting sound. Can't wait for that shoot out. For now, it was time for me to bust out the RU6 to see what it can do.

I am not very much into features. I care almost entirely about sound quality, tactility and usability. Since Cayin focused on sound quality, I felt this would be a good purchase for me. I listened to an hour of various tracks in my library with the Indigo and independently of any comparisons, it is a fantastic product that I wouldn't mind recommending to anyone I know. Then, I spent 2 hours A/B/C testing the RU6 against the Lotoo PAW S2 and the L&P W2. After this more critical listening session, I can see why @twister6 says that the L&P W2 and the RU6 are similar in the signature they aim for. They are strong at similar things. The S2 is more focused on transparency of sound whereas the W2 and RU6 are seeking a richness of sound. I focused on 2 tracks. One Jazz track: No More Blues by Bill Watrous and a ballad Emotion by Destiny's Child. Emotion has a tremendous sub bass focus and this would help me understand which dongle handled bass the best. No More Blues is a Jazz track that I know very well and so I know how it is supposed to sound. It has some complexity and specific instruments that have a specific sound and balance to them.

The result? I preferred the RU6 over the L&P W2, but they are close. The RU6 sounded just a hair more natural to me with great balance. The difference was that Bill Watrous just a bit more appropriately forward. The bass on the RU6 is the best of the 3 especially in the sub bass which is clear in Emotion. Whether or not I prefer the S2 or the RU6 really depends on the track if transparency or richness of sound is more important. I listening to some tracks where the RU6 sounded very congested when there were a lot of instruments. The S2 excelled there since its clarity really helped sort out the music. At the end of the day, to my ear, all 3 of these dongles are about the same and I would be very happy with any of them. So what will most likely determine which one I use the most are power consumption requirements and how easy it is to carry around with me on my walks.

Well done Cayin. You've released a great product. Waiting for you next R2R Android based DAP with a line out that pairs with the C9. If this the sound you plan to deliver, I am going to love it.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #765 of 3,685
@ClieOS

What buds are those and which IEM's or buds have you guys found to pair best with the RU6 thus far?
Yincrow RW-3000. It is the new flagship earbud of the brand released just a few weeks ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back