Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Jan 22, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #1,741 of 3,665
Is anybody rocking this dongle with the Thieaudio Monarch? I did a search within this thread and found no mention. The headfonics review of the RU6 mentions bass rolloff. I'm nervous that it will cut into the Monarch's subbass, which is incredibly satisfying.

Can anyone comment?
Yes, I own both the Monarch OG and MKii. The RU6 does a very good job at bringing the Monarch to life. It has reference tuning which can sound boring to some. The RU6 gives it more life. I am listening to the Monarch OG now with RU6. I still hear good sub bass rumble, but it is slightly attenuated relative to my DX300. The difference is that the treble is better with the RU6 than say my DX300 with AMP12 so treble has more emphasis. The gains in naturalness and liveliness of sound more than makes up for any small attenuation of subbass. If you want more subbass, get an Empire Ears LX or EVO.

Jan 22, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #1,742 of 3,665
Appreciate the suggestions. I'll pull the trigger on the RU6 and see how it goes

Jan 23, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #1,743 of 3,665
Appreciate the suggestions. I'll pull the trigger on the RU6 and see how it goes
Enjoy the ride! I hope you find as much joy as many of us here have with this amazing dongle!

Jan 23, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #1,744 of 3,665
You know ru6 sound thick and solid base, bold mid.
I think it does not drives ibasso IT00 - a bloat bass iem well.
And actually confirmed.

I post these pictures showing how eqing and dsp for improvement sq so much.
Concept is to neutralize fr error roughly then convert it to another sound target fr for better sens of open space.

Ru6 shows, may be (not yet confirm) large error when it take such complicate digital raw matterial : result from a parametric eq and dsp process (morph a headphone to sound like other one) by UAPP.

Or, UAPP calculates not well in 44k sampling rate and ru6 just amplify those error larger.
UAPP dev wrote in the oversampling function "usually gives LOWER quality" (when set ON)
I don’t think so with any EQing or dsp.
The higher sample rate, the more accurate calculation it will does.
This case, minimum rate is 88k for a good sound, really gooood!
44k REALLY bad with metallic output which and musicallity's destroyed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220123-160619_USB Audio Player PRO.png
    Screenshot_20220123-160619_USB Audio Player PRO.png
    148 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220123-160612_USB Audio Player PRO.png
    Screenshot_20220123-160612_USB Audio Player PRO.png
    345 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #1,745 of 3,665
The Ares II is superior to RU6 is all area. FULL STOP.

I heard the Ares II in a show previously, they are very competitive for their price. There is no way RU6 can compete with Ares II on a speaker system or a properly setup desktop heapdhone system.
Now that I know that I prefer R2R to Delta sigma, I have been looking at review of that Denafrips DAC.

In his review GoldenSound insist on the fact that the Ares II is not a true NOS DAC, it always upsamples the input signal. It is implied that it's the reason why it is so cheap.

So, I was wondering if the RU6 or even the R01 module were true NOS DACs in the way that they could pass the test shown in this video successfully.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #1,746 of 3,665
Now that I know that I prefer R2R to Delta sigma, I have been looking at review of that Denafrips DAC.

In his review GoldenSound insist on the fact that the Ares II is not a true NOS DAC, it always upsamples the input signal. It is implied that it's the reason why it is so cheap.

So, I was wondering if the RU6 or even the R01 module were true NOS DACs in the way that they could pass the test shown in this video successfully.

R01 is does not have NOS feature at all. Oversampled to 768 kHz or 384 kHz, if I am not wrong.

For RU6, you may want to look at the block diagram that @Andykong posted in the first page of this thread. The input signal (assuming bit-perfect) that comes into RU6 through digital audio bridge would either go unaltered (bypass oversampling filter) through to 24 bit R2R DAC (which is non-oversampling) or go through oversampling process. You have the option to chose in the setting.

I can really hear the difference between NOS and OS, and I love the former. For the price of $250, I would say implementation of NOS mode is pretty good.

If you like someone to test NOS is true or false, I think you need to find a very experienced reviewer or some one with test capabilities (which is $$$$) to evaluate all this. Good luck with that !

Jan 23, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #1,747 of 3,665
R01 is does not have NOS feature at all. Oversampled to 768 kHz or 384 kHz, if I am not wrong.

For RU6, you may want to look at the block diagram that @Andykong posted in the first page of this thread. The input signal (assuming bit-perfect) that comes into RU6 through digital audio bridge would either go unaltered (bypass oversampling filter) through to 24 bit R2R DAC (which is non-oversampling) or go through oversampling process. You have the option to chose in the setting.

I can really hear the difference between NOS and OS, and I love the former. For the price of $250, I would say implementation of NOS mode is pretty good.

If you like someone to test NOS is true or false, I think you need to find a very experienced reviewer or some one with test capabilities (which is $$$$) to evaluate all this. Good luck with that !
I do hear the difference between NOS and OS too and I do prefer NOS as well. I think it makes FLAC sound like DSD, which is an incredible achievement.
I am just curious and surprised that more people aren't talking about the world first NOS R2R portable DAC/amp.

Jan 23, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #1,748 of 3,665
I do hear the difference between NOS and OS too and I do prefer NOS as well. I think it makes FLAC sound like DSD, which is an incredible achievement.
I am just curious and surprised that more people aren't talking about the world first NOS R2R portable DAC/amp.
We have 117 pages in this thread where people have discussed, provided impressions and criticisms of the product as well.

I think this has been quite well received and has been a massive success for Cayin (@Andykong can chime in) and those who have liked this have kept this and sold other popular dongles in this forum. I think it is all down to synergy and music that you enjoy ! Keep listening !

Jan 25, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #1,749 of 3,665
Anyone else having issues with Android devices detecting the RU6? And is there a fix for this issue?

I just received mine and neither my Android phone nor my tablet detect the RU6 reliably. I have to unplug and replug the device maybe 20 times until it works. No issues whatsoever when connecting the DAC to my laptop.

Jan 25, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #1,750 of 3,665
Anyone else having issues with Android devices detecting the RU6? And is there a fix for this issue?

I just received mine and neither my Android phone nor my tablet detect the RU6 reliably. I have to unplug and replug the device maybe 20 times until it works. No issues whatsoever when connecting the DAC to my laptop.
tried another cable?

Jan 25, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #1,751 of 3,665

I do.
It happen sometimes. One think I usually do on that situation: flip side of cable and/or connect at locked screen

Jan 25, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #1,752 of 3,665

Mind telling us what Android phone and teblet you have run into trouble with? With the bundled C-to-C cable? What version of Android OS?

My mobile phones (Samsung A71 and S20FE, both Android 11) can recognise the RU6 most of the time. I didn't count the successful rate but definitely over 90%, maybe around 95%. In the rare occasion that the RU6 was not recognised, I just unplug and plug in again "slowly" and firmly and it always work in second attempt. If you need to unplug and replug the device for 20 times before it get recognise, something is not right.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 25, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #1,753 of 3,665
Mind telling us what Android phone and teblet you have run into trouble with? With the bundled C-to-C cable? What version of Android OS?
My phone is a LG G6 running Android 9 and the tablet is a Galaxy Tab A with Android 8. I used the bundled cable but also tried other ones I had lying around but without better results.

Before the RU6 I used a Dragonfly Black and not once did I run into it not being recognized. I wonder whether it might be a power issue since I noticed the RU6 draws more power than the Dragonfly and there are no issues when using a PC.

Jan 25, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #1,754 of 3,665
My phone is a LG G6 running Android 9 and the tablet is a Galaxy Tab A with Android 8. I used the bundled cable but also tried other ones I had lying around but without better results.

Before the RU6 I used a Dragonfly Black and not once did I run into it not being recognized. I wonder whether it might be a power issue since I noticed the RU6 draws more power than the Dragonfly and there are no issues when using a PC.
Have you tried to reset the USB debugging in developer options and restart the phone and replug it in ?

I have LG G8X and so far not seen any issue with RU6 or any other dongle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back