Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Oct 21, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #4,861 of 5,538
So, I am pondering the M17 or the N8ii...decisions, decisions...
I have both. I feel your pain. M17 is quite special. I use it mostly at my desk with with amp and hard to drive phones. I also take it on flights with me. N8ii when I’m home and I use it with everything, but not amped beyond what it does itself. They both sound great. I don’t feel like I’m missing anything listening to either.

Oct 21, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #4,862 of 5,538
Oct 22, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #4,864 of 5,538
Can anyone advise with this running Android 9 what's the score as it's already an unsupported operating system.

From what I can gather on some site, it appears it is security updates that have stopped. Apps for streaming should still receive updates.

Oct 22, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #4,866 of 5,538
That's a worry is it not?

I'm not worried about it to be honest, if it was my smartphone with all my personal details and all the other bits and pieces we keep on phones then I'd be concerned. However on my N8ii I only use wifi at home and don't have any personal stuff on there really.

Oct 22, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #4,867 of 5,538
I'm not worried about it to be honest, if it was my smartphone with all my personal details and all the other bits and pieces we keep on phones then I'd be concerned. However on my N8ii I only use wifi at home and don't have any personal stuff on there really.
Have Cayin advised what the score is as it is already a dated operating system and what happens if the apps are no longer supported on that version. Android 9 does seem an interesting choice for a 2022 device when 11 was the current.

Oct 22, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #4,868 of 5,538
Have Cayin advised what the score is as it is already a dated operating system and what happens if the apps are no longer supported on that version. Android 9 does seem an interesting choice for a 2022 device when 11 was the current.

Not sure what Cayin have said.

My own take is that for me it doesn't really matter.

I use Qobuz and Amazon for streaming, from what I can gather they will continue to be supported for some time yet. I have no other need for other apps,

Oct 25, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #4,870 of 5,538
Not sure what Cayin have said.

My own take is that for me it doesn't really matter.

I use Qobuz and Amazon for streaming, from what I can gather they will continue to be supported for some time yet. I have no other need for other apps,
Same opinion here.

For some of the most relevant apps on Google Play Store, the minimum Android version is given as:
UAPP: 5.0
Neutron: 2.3
Qobuz: 6.0
Tidal: Depending on the device
So it seems we are far away from a time when an app will not run on Android 9 anymore.

Furthermore, I think we should consider ourselves lucky because we are are not yet experiencing the hassle that comes with Android 11 - access to files on SD card being restricted by Google requirements.

Oct 27, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #4,871 of 5,538
Mark your calender. The red looks gorgeous.

Screenshot_20221027_124701_Instagram.jpg

Oct 29, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #4,872 of 5,538
Ok, this is the 1st time for my unit. It’s not charging 😅
It shows the charging animation but the battery isn’t going up. In fact it even drops after a while.
Any quick fix besides factory reset?
Have been using the same charger, cable etc for months and no issue until now.

Oct 29, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #4,873 of 5,538
Ok, this is the 1st time for my unit. It’s not charging 😅
It shows the charging animation but the battery isn’t going up. In fact it even drops after a while.
Any quick fix besides factory reset?
Have been using the same charger, cable etc for months and no issue until now.
Try to check USB / Data transfer settings - maybe you occasionally set smth like data transfer without charging option

Oct 29, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #4,874 of 5,538
Try to check USB / Data transfer settings - maybe you occasionally set smth like data transfer without charging option

Didn’t change anything in the settings before/after firmware update.
Just realised it says charging slowly in the screen 😓
Changed to my Apple 100w charger and now it’s ‘charging rapidly’
Which is weird since my previous charger is 120w and had no issues with rapid charging the N8ii for the past months…

Nov 4, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #4,875 of 5,538

Users who are viewing this thread

Back