Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Oct 12, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #4,846 of 5,538
Interesting. I think in twisters review of SP3K he thought they were quite similar but SP3K had a little more mid warmth at the expense of sub bass.

Was your listening done with headphones by the way?
Tbh my SP3K impression was brief, so could be inaccurate. But generally speaking the timbre and presentation sounded off for me.

No headphones since I generally don’t think they sound that good with even the best DAPs (at least relatively speaking to desktop systems), but I used a few IEMs I had on hand: Anole VX, IER-Z1R, and Variations.

Oct 12, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #4,847 of 5,538
I substantially preferred SS mode to tube mode (less echo-y, cleaner extension, better layering, etc).
Oh finally I thought I was the only one in the whole thread with such preference 😂

Oct 12, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #4,848 of 5,538
Oh finally I thought I was the only one in the whole thread with such preference 😂
I like SS a lot as well, really depends on what I'm listening to for SS vs Tubes.

Oct 13, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #4,849 of 5,538
You two are it, no one else. Just kidding, but I have to admit I’ve been a tube person so far, using it about 100% of the time. I do appreciate that SS mode is there, I’ll eventually get to it I’m sure. The versatility of the N8ii to reliably morph its sound signature options with the different modes and still keep its timbre and “soul” throughout is one of its remarkable traits…

But for now, I’m intoxicated by the mighty tube mode 😎

Oct 13, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #4,850 of 5,538
I mostly prefer SS , as I hear it to be more technical and dynamic of the two.
The tubes I heard to reduce midbass punch and add echo-like attribute to it as well as narrowing the soundstage however it does give it more perception of depth.
I do use tubes on poorer recordings of the sort that lose more then gain listenability with added resolution.

With that said , the tubes sound significantly better after an hour or so of constant use.

Oct 14, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #4,851 of 5,538
Mine has completely bricked now. Going to contact amp3 where it was bought from to get it sorted

Oct 14, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #4,852 of 5,538
Mine has completely bricked now. Going to contact amp3 where it was bought from to get it sorted
Sorry to hear that. I hope it gets sorted soon!

Oct 14, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #4,853 of 5,538
Thanks for your information. Did you root your N8ii? This problem generally appears if you root N8ii. To solve the problem, I'm afraid you need ship your N8ii back to reinstall the firmware.
No, I have not rooted this device at all. To be honest I wouldn't even know how to

Oct 17, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #4,854 of 5,538
How does the M17 stack up against N8ii?

Oct 18, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #4,855 of 5,538
You two are it, no one else. Just kidding, but I have to admit I’ve been a tube person so far, using it about 100% of the time. I do appreciate that SS mode is there, I’ll eventually get to it I’m sure. The versatility of the N8ii to reliably morph its sound signature options with the different modes and still keep its timbre and “soul” throughout is one of its remarkable traits…

But for now, I’m intoxicated by the mighty tube mode 😎
After proper break-in or burn-in time, and when playing from cold you give it 30- 40mins play time N8ii tube mode just simply drops into what I call Nirvana mode and you will not want to listen to SS mode again and if you are lucky to have a decent and efficient headphone then you can run it in class A also 💙!!! And great cable also
20220509_141110.jpg
20220605_003615.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #4,856 of 5,538
Hi guys, I have a problem with my N8-ii, I was playing music and suddenly the screen went black, now it doesn't respond to the power button, I noticed it yesterday when it responded to the power button unstable, the screen flashed, and I had to press the power button several times to get it on, I restarted the DAP and started playing the music and then it went completely black, the music can still be played and navigated with buttons but the screen shows no signs of life, has anyone experienced the same perhaps?

Oct 19, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #4,857 of 5,538
Hi guys, I have a problem with my N8-ii, I was playing music and suddenly the screen went black, now it doesn't respond to the power button, I noticed it yesterday when it responded to the power button unstable, the screen flashed, and I had to press the power button several times to get it on, I restarted the DAP and started playing the music and then it went completely black, the music can still be played and navigated with buttons but the screen shows no signs of life, has anyone experienced the same perhaps?
No I have not. Bummer! Hope you manage to sort it out!

Oct 19, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #4,858 of 5,538
Folks, I encountered a problem in conjunction with the UAPP and Qobuz Android Apps. I posted it on
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...qobuz-issues-thread/page/185/#comment-1214467

You might want to read up over there, check whether you see the same faulty behavior on your N8ii's, and maybe you know of a practical remedy.

I'll report back here when I get a solution to the problem.
Guess what: today I started UAPP on my Hiby R8, started the UpNP renderer service from the UAPP menu, started mconnect on my iPhone, selected UAPP Renderer R8 as Play to device, selected Qobuz in the mconnect Browser, selected a song, then after a short noise nothing else happened.
Then your post came to my mind, checked the Qobuz mini player on the R8, it was there, and always coming back after various actions until R8 restart.

When I started to make actions controlled, reproduce the non-playing state of UAPP, checked the qobuz miniplayer on the pulldown notification menu, swiped right, then pressed the rectangle button on the button, swiped up the Qobuz app to close it, closed the UAPP as well, started UAPP again, started the renderer as well, then it was possible to start the music from mconnect.
Since then no reappearence of the Qobuz mini player so far.

Oct 21, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #4,859 of 5,538
So, I am pondering the M17 or the N8ii...decisions, decisions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back