Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Oct 11, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #4,831 of 5,538
Hi gazzington, could you please take a picture to show me what the screen displayed before you press the power button to carry on? I mean the screen you described 1665452109958.png

Attachments

• FC5D168B-B540-4A0B-A9F1-9EF683CA3D7C.jpeg
    FC5D168B-B540-4A0B-A9F1-9EF683CA3D7C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Oct 11, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #4,832 of 5,538
Hi. I’m wondering if anyone can help me. when I restarted the n8ii after a factory reset I got a screen that came up that said: g .co/ABH. It told me to press to power button to carry on and then it worked fine. However, it still comes up after I restart the player. I’m assuming I need to flash the n8ii player but not sure how to do it
Here

Oct 11, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #4,833 of 5,538
I have a N6ii and thought about upgrading to the N8ii. My main use is for it to be a streamer into a Benchmark DAC3B, playing Tidal and Qubuz via UAPP. In this respect, will there be any notable gain from the switch?

Oct 11, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #4,834 of 5,538
I have a N6ii and thought about upgrading to the N8ii. My main use is for it to be a streamer into a Benchmark DAC3B, playing Tidal and Qubuz via UAPP. In this respect, will there be any notable gain from the switch?

Not really. They will offer largely the same quality digital out. Only when used as a DAP there will be a big difference as the N8ii is really significantly better than the N6ii

Oct 11, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #4,835 of 5,538
Not really. They will offer largely the same quality digital out. Only when used as a DAP there will be a big difference as the N8ii is really significantly better than the N6ii
Thank you. That in itself is probably reason enough for me to upgrade, I love my N6ii and even a small improvement on an already great DAP put it into contention for me!

Oct 11, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #4,836 of 5,538

Thank you. That in itself is probably reason enough for me to upgrade, I love my N6ii and even a small improvement on an already great DAP put it into contention for me!
I did that upgrade from N6ii with particularly A02 and R01 to the N8ii myself. @WDitters is absolutely correct in stating that the N8ii is by far better than the N6ii when used as a full DAP. For your use case of digital transport / streamer only, @marcus2704, I can add as improvements you will get from the N8ii - please note that these points are on the IT side of things, not the audio:
  • The WiFi is significantly better, stable, great throughput. It also needs to be mentioned that the N8ii‘s WiFi does not at all interfere with other parts of the DAP (unlike e.g. amp13 of iBasso DX320).
  • The Android and UI are much better, snappy and fluent.
  • The bigger screen is better, although it‘s not at smartphone level and not at other DAPs‘ level (like iBasso DX320).
Hope that helps, too.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #4,838 of 5,538
Thanks for your information. Did you root your N8ii? This problem generally appears if you root N8ii. To solve the problem, I'm afraid you need ship your N8ii back to reinstall the firmware.
This also happened to my first N8ii which was not rooted ( I had to return to resolve).

Oct 12, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #4,839 of 5,538
20220317_130428.jpg

Love this...."Commencing the Ultimate experience". I think Cayin reckon they've got a good thing here...:beyersmile:
6 months later and it still reigns supreme for me. Lovin'it! May the Ultimate experience continue!

Oct 12, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #4,840 of 5,538
6 months later and it still reigns supreme for me. Lovin'it! May the Ultimate experience continue!
I've had my N8ii for six months now as well and the sound is absolutely sublime, but I'd go further, it seems to me also to be getting better and better from all sound perspectives, is this possible? Let's say I've listened to it for an average of 3 hrs per day that would total 540 hrs usage time (always in tube mode), has anybody else experienced this or is my N8ii kissed by magic?

Oct 12, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #4,841 of 5,538
I've had my N8ii for six months now as well and the sound is absolutely sublime, but I'd go further, it seems to me also to be getting better and better from all sound perspectives, is this possible? Let's say I've listened to it for an average of 3 hrs per day that would total 540 hrs usage time (always in tube mode), has anybody else experienced this or is my N8ii kissed by magic?
I can't say i noticed any change past 200hrs tbh. I'd need to compare a 200hr unit to a 100hr unit directly to see if there's any difference. My memory isn't good enough to compare to 6 months ago when i run it 24/7 for 7 days to get the initial hours on it!

Oct 12, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #4,843 of 5,538
It does get better after a few hundred hours, but the rest of the improvements may be your own brain burn in, perhaps getting used to the deluge of detail it's giving you?

Oct 12, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #4,844 of 5,538
I got to try the N8ii for the second time, this time with my own music and for a lot longer. I don’t know how long the unit has been burned in since it was a store demo unit, but I substantially preferred SS mode to tube mode (less echo-y, cleaner extension, better layering, etc).

P+ mode was a game changer, and I don’t see myself ever having that turned off. I like a bit more slam and engagement to the music, so that was really nice. Class A vs AB I barely heard a difference, where I couldn’t tell if the changes were placebo or not. Also, I’m not a big fan of the volume knob implementation.

I still preferred the vocals and mid-bass of the WM1ZM2, but highs and upper-mids were better on the N8ii for sure. Wish the N8ii had a bit more mid-bass warmth like the original N8 and the N6ii Ti. Although I would easily take the N8ii over the SP3000 or Dx320 (11/13), as those didn’t agree with me sound signature wise. Overall N8ii would be in my top 3 favorite DAPs I’ve heard.

Oct 12, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #4,845 of 5,538
I got to try the N8ii for the second time, this time with my own music and for a lot longer. I don’t know how long the unit has been burned in since it was a store demo unit, but I substantially preferred SS mode to tube mode (less echo-y, cleaner extension, better layering, etc).

P+ mode was a game changer, and I don’t see myself ever having that turned off. I like a bit more slam and engagement to the music, so that was really nice. Class A vs AB I barely heard a difference, where I couldn’t tell if the changes were placebo or not. Also, I’m not a big fan of the volume knob implementation.

I still preferred the vocals and mid-bass of the WM1ZM2, but highs and upper-mids were better on the N8ii for sure. Wish the N8ii had a bit more mid-bass warmth like the original N8 and the N6ii Ti. Although I would easily take the N8ii over the SP3000 or Dx320 (11/13), as those didn’t agree with me sound signature wise. Overall N8ii would be in my top 3 favorite DAPs I’ve heard.
Interesting. I think in twisters review of SP3K he thought they were quite similar but SP3K had a little more mid warmth at the expense of sub bass.

Was your listening done with headphones by the way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back