Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Feb 27, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #783 of 5,538
Since the OS is "based" on HiBy, can anyone confirm that it has MSEB and/or system wide EQ of any kind? From the demo video it doesn't look like it.

Feb 27, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #785 of 5,538
Thanks for the review. Do you know if there is a global eq?
Since the OS is "based" on HiBy, can anyone confirm that it has MSEB and/or system wide EQ of any kind? From the demo video it doesn't look like it.

N8ii didn't have global EQ pre-installed. It comes with two system-level music player app: Cayin Music Player and HiBy Music Player, the level is equivalent to the enterprise version of HiBy Music Player, so it is slightly different from the version available on Google Play Store. You can find MSEB in the bundled HiBy Music Player, but I don't think this is a global EQ, so when yous switch to Tidal or Qobuz, the MSEB won't kick in.

Have someone tried EQ app such as Wavelet, Poweramp Equilizer, Sonarworks and Music Equalizer EQ ? Or if you use music player that has a build-in gateway to streaming service, such as UAPP, the EQ setting should apply to all streaming service as well?

PS. looks like Wavelet is well received by headphone users, I find THIS on reddit.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 27, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #786 of 5,538
Might get from my local retailer since i can get it lower than the retail price… Still on the fence though since I’m reluctant to spend that much on a DAP..

Feb 27, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #787 of 5,538
N8ii didn't have global EQ pre-installed. It comes with two system-level music player app: Cayin Music Player and HiBy Music Player, the level is equivalent to the enterprise version of HiBy Music Player, so it is slightly different from the version available on Google Play Store. You can find MSEB in the bundled HiBy Music Player, but I don't think this is a global EQ, so when yous switch to Tidal or Qobuz, the MSEB won't kick in.

Have someone tried EQ app such as Wavelet, Poweramp Equilizer, Sonarworks and Music Equalizer EQ ? Or if you use music player that has a build-in gateway to streaming service, such as UAPP, the EQ setting should apply to all streaming service as well?
I use PowerAmp on M17 and R8 and it works just fine, but with UAPP it can be buggy a bit, restarting UAPP after launching PowerAmp works just fine.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #788 of 5,538
I use PowerAmp on M17 and R8 and it workd just fine, but with UAPP it can be buggy a bit, restarting UAPP after launching PowerAmp works just fine.

That's one advantage to go for Android, when we don't have a solution, someone might have done that for us already, to a large extend at least.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 27, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #792 of 5,538
20220226_144932.jpg

It sounds awesome. More like an all rounder than the n8. I enjoy vocals the most from the warmth of original n8. Acoustic now benefits from the n8ii tubes and a wider stage.

Feb 27, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #793 of 5,538
20220226_144932.jpg
It sounds awesome. More like an all rounder than the n8. I enjoy vocals the most from the warmth of original n8. Acoustic now benefits from the n8ii tubes and a wider stage.
You tried The Hobbit. Nice 👍 I love the dynamics of "Bend the Knives" Where is the similarities and where is the differences between N8 and N8II?

Feb 27, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #794 of 5,538
You tried The Hobbit. Nice 👍 I love the dynamics of "Bend the Knives" Where is the similarities and where is the differences between N8 and N8II?
Technicalities are better than the original. Less roll-off in both ends. Wider stage that opens EE Odin up. Details improved for sure. Still a fun sounding one with a little of the warmth left. I spent all my time with iems and tubes on, so I'm not sure about the solid state and power improvement.

I think some people may still prefer the more tube flavor in n8, but mk2 is capable for more genres. C9 on the other hand sounds more like linear OTL. Overall N8ii reminds me of wa8.

Feb 27, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #795 of 5,538
I think some people may still prefer the more tube flavor in n8, but mk2 is capable for more genres. C9 on the other hand sounds more like linear OTL. Overall N8ii reminds me of wa8.
I'm going from an old recollection, but I recall the WA8 as being super-tubey, to the point that, for example, a FiiO DAP sounded unlistenable afterwards (granted, this was back in X7 days, which used the rather edgy-sounding 4490).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back