Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Jan 17, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #211 of 5,538
Well.. Andykong mentioned it's a 5 inch screen. With the picture you can approximately estimate.

Yes, something like this :wink:

1642439929187.png

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 17, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #212 of 5,538
Yes, something like this :wink:

1642439929187.png
Does the tube glow (KORG LED) in the back ? I have N8 where you could see 2 lines in the front. With my C9, I could see on either side of the potentiometer wheel ? Just curious.

Jan 17, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #213 of 5,538
Does the tube glow (KORG LED) in the back ? I have N8 where you could see 2 lines in the front. With my C9, I could see on either side of the potentiometer wheel ? Just curious.

Making the tube glow visible is a top priority requirement in our industrial design, but I'll can't take this our of the drawer until the formal announcement, so please stay tuned. :beerchug:

Jan 17, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #218 of 5,538
I actually like it when it has some space to touch and hold it. Hate this trend to borderless designs. Love that rounded sides by the way.
"Now shuffling all music, please wait while we load". smh. Borderless touch sensitive glass sucks.

Jan 17, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #219 of 5,538
Can someone explain what TOTL, ROHM and R2R actual means? As far as I got it, these are different types of DACs right? What are the differences? I'm not that deep into the technical side of music but I would like to learn more about it.

And what is meant with AKM fire?

Jan 18, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #220 of 5,538
Can someone explain what TOTL, ROHM and R2R actual means? As far as I got it, these are different types of DACs right? What are the differences? I'm not that deep into the technical side of music but I would like to learn more about it.

TOTL is top of the line.
ROHM is ROHM Electronics Philippines Inc., least I think. I'm as lost as you on some things
R2R is Most modern DACs use a delta sigma design rather than an R/2R implementation. Past that gets too complicated for me. This is one of the simpler explanations I've found.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/what-exactly-is-an-r2r-dac/22735

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #221 of 5,538

AKM (Asahi Kansei Microdevice) a chip company that produces the flagship ak4499 dac chip, went on fire in late yr2020, causing shortage of flaqgship Ak4499 dac chips.

R2R - 24bit ladder resistors, different type of dac. Check out Cayin n6ii r01 module.

Jan 18, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #222 of 5,538
Well.. I heard about that for the first time when I read the thread last night and google about it a bit. I guess I should begin with more simple questions.

I often read that R2R Chips are more warm and musical - without any sharpness.. Is that true or is it more like that the producer of products have more options to create a sound like that but could also do it the other way? Is R2R Dac a term that you can see as a symbol for analogue-like sound? If I look at the Cayin n6ii r01 and the Hiby rs6, you could assume that. But it also could just the way, how they are using it.

Are the R2R Chips a completely new thing or just an old thing from professional equipment that finally found it's way to mobile player market?

If it's new, who was the original creator?

If it's old but just new for the player market, are cayin and Hiby the pioneers that made it possible and popular at first or where it originally comes from?

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #223 of 5,538
Well.. I heard about that for the first time when I read the thread last night and google about it a bit. I guess I should begin with more simple questions.

I often read that R2R Chips are more warm and musical - without any sharpness.. Is that true or is it more like that the producer of products have more options to create a sound like that but could also do it the other way? Is R2R Dac a term that you can see as a symbol for analogue-like sound? If I look at the Cayin n6ii r01 and the Hiby rs6, you could assume that. But it also could just the way, how they are using it.

Are the R2R Chips a completely new thing or just an old thing from professional equipment that finally found it's way to mobile player market?

If it's old but just new for the player market, are cayin and Hiby the pioneers that made it possible and popular at first or where it originally comes from?

Very interesting questions, but can I invite you to post the qusestion on other R2R related products? Cayin has two R2R products in place right now: RU6 and R01. Alternatively you can look for portable R2R products from L&P (Luxury & Precision) or HiFiman.

Jan 18, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #224 of 5,538

Well I am pretty new to this game (dap + iem) too, initial intention was for my car audio. Bought my first dap ak se200, find them bright and clean sounding. Comparing to n6ii-ti definitely n6ii-ti sound warmer and the vocal feel tangible to me, as for rs6, i have just got it can't really give you a justifiable comparison yet. I bought it mainly because of line out for car audio.

R2R if i am correct has been around, mainly with home dac device. Very difficult to implement onto mobile dap because of the sensitivity/distortion of the resistors. As Andy had mentioned, first implemented in L&P and r2r2000 daps.

Feb 1, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #225 of 5,538
@Andykong I was not looking into DAPs until I read up about the R01 for N6ii and was immediately interested. But I was not yet purchasing since the player model (and Android version) is quite old by now, so I was hoping I can see R2R DAC in the N8ii. But the N8ii isn't using R2R and it won't have replaceable DAC like the N6ii, right.. Thus I have some questions,

1. Would you say the TOTL N8ii really have better sound than the N6ii with R01?
2. Not related to N8ii, but would Cayin make updated player that can use the R2R R01 DAC module? Or make another player with R2R DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back