Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Feb 1, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #226 of 5,538
@Andykong I was not looking into DAPs until I read up about the R01 for N6ii and was immediately interested. But I was not yet purchasing since the player model (and Android version) is quite old by now, so I was hoping I can see R2R DAC in the N8ii. But the N8ii isn't using R2R and it won't have replaceable DAC like the N6ii, right.. Thus I have some questions,

1. Would you say the TOTL N8ii really have better sound than the N6ii with R01?
2. Not related to N8ii, but would Cayin make updated player that can use the R2R R01 DAC module? Or make another player with R2R DAC?
I'm not Andy but my take on it is:
1. Very subjective So some might prefer the one over the other. The majority should consider the N8ii superior or Cayin miscalculated the pricing.

2. They will likely create an entirely new R2R DAC/DAP. Development of the N8ii started before their R2R technology Was ready, the next flagship afterwards will likely Feature R2R but will also take a while for Development. I wouldn't expect a R2R flagship before 2024.

Again, this is just my personal opinion and I have no insights into Cayin Developments

Feb 1, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #227 of 5,538
I'm not Andy but my take on it is:
1. Very subjective So some might prefer the one over the other. The majority should consider the N8ii superior or Cayin miscalculated the pricing.

2. They will likely create an entirely new R2R DAC/DAP. Development of the N8ii started before their R2R technology Was ready, the next flagship afterwards will likely Feature R2R but will also take a while for Development. I wouldn't expect a R2R flagship before 2024.

Again, this is just my personal opinion and I have no insights into Cayin Developments

True. And while the N6ii is an older model DAP, the R01 board makes it refreshingly actual and up to date.

If one ignores for a moment the fact that it runs Android 8.1, there is nothing wrong with it. It is utterly competitive both in sound quality (R01, A02, E02) and in versatility...

And seeing how long FiiO has been able to remain competitive with its M15 running on Android 7.1, I see no reason why the N6ii would not be able to remain a very satisfactory device for at least another two years, especially with the R01 board...

And that could perfectly bridge the gap to a next future R-2R device from Cayin ☺️... I must make one side note however. If I look at most of the discussions here (and elsewhere) it almost seems as if R-2R DACs and Delta-Sigma DACs are two fundamentally different sounding approaches.. But the truth is different.. In the end its all about implementation, the amplification circuits, the house sound preferences etc... There's a reason why AK DAPs sound different from Shanling or Hiby DAPs.. And that is not the DAC alone.

I would therefore not be surprised to see the N8ii overtake the N6ii in sound quality, even if its not an R-2R DAP.. However whether the N8ii would be worth upgrading to will be dependent on its perceived sound qualities versus the asking price right? 😇😎

Feb 1, 2022 at 5:15 AM Post #228 of 5,538
I would therefore not be surprised to see the N8ii overtake the N6ii in sound quality, even if its not an R-2R DAP.. However whether the N8ii would be worth upgrading to will be dependent on its perceived sound qualities versus the asking price right? 😇😎

Its a bloody rabbit hole haha. You buy a totl flagship dap that is audibly but not ground-breakingly superior in SQ to model in a tier below for double the price. Which is a bad value proposition as is.
And then you cannot force yourself to ever downgrade that 1 level below. No matter how much better value proposition is because you tasted best of the best.
I have this conflict between sp2000t and sp2000. I like so many things on sp2000t over sp2000 even tuning. Yet the loss in dynamics and soundstage and layering as minor as it is simply keeps running back to sp2000 lol.

I personally think there is no doubt n8ii will be superior in SQ to n6, no matter the module. N8 sounds like it will be quite expensive and top dog on market. So i will have to justify the price.

Unless its going to turn out to be one of those dx300max, m17-like freaks. Then they will have little in common, and relative pricing will be irrelevant.

Feb 1, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #230 of 5,538
Unless its going to turn out to be one of those dx300max, m17-like freaks.
From the pictures I've seen it looks like a large bit still portable device. Not a brick like those mentioned, and likely won't require a fan to keep it from melting. Hopefully you'll be able to run it in your pocket without worrying your precious might roast.

Feb 1, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #231 of 5,538
Unless its going to turn out to be one of those dx300max, m17-like freaks. Then they will have little in common, and relative pricing will be irrelevant.
It's not Max or M17 like... when you check the pics and relative to the 5 inches screen size it's more compact.

1643721104641.png

Feb 1, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #232 of 5,538
It's all speculative until Andy can release more info once the factory goes back after Chines New Year. Given what little we do know is the use of a new DAC chip (for a DAP application) combined with dual Nutubes certainly suggests a different sound over the original N8. Will that be better than an N6ii plus C9????? Who knows. Will it be super expensive???? Who knows. I'd want to hear it and then make a decision for sure.

Feb 2, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #235 of 5,538
That actually does not look that bad, relatively speaking. Im sure its going to be thick, but hopefully much smaller than M9.

Wonder where are jacks positioned... Please not at the bottom lol.

I'm glad it's not as thick as the Max, will make pairing it with the C9 less of a brick.

Feb 2, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #237 of 5,538
It is strange that someone does not like the location of the jacks at the bottom. :)
Only because the volume knob is at the top. Controlling vole in a picket is horrendous.. Had that experience with R8.. Its a pocket ripper as is.

But i suppose if for whatever reason you need to look at daps screen for a long periods of time, it might work better at the bottom.
For me its all about using it on the go as i commute a a lot for work. So it stays in the pocket most of its time.

Feb 4, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #238 of 5,538
Only because the volume knob is at the top. Controlling vole in a picket is horrendous.. Had that experience with R8.. Its a pocket ripper as is.

But i suppose if for whatever reason you need to look at daps screen for a long periods of time, it might work better at the bottom.
For me its all about using it on the go as i commute a a lot for work. So it stays in the pocket most of its time.

Yeah same. I prefer the jacks at the top. It’s meant to be portable so that means in my pocket.
So I’ll either have to take it out each time I want to change the volume or risk breaking my cable.

Jacks on the bottom would make it impractical for me. Has it been confirmed they are the bottom, cause if so I’ll start looking at another TOTL DAP.

Feb 4, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #240 of 5,538
They'll have to put a port on both sides to keep us all happy! I hate them on the top. Puts strain on cables having to take a 180 degree turn back toward me if the DAP is on my desk. I'm sure the cables would be fine but if they come out of the bottom of the DAP there is no strain and more length available to move around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back